B3300SU Runs 10 seconds and stalls

CowboyLawyer

Equipment
B3300SU purchase 3/2014
Mar 23, 2014
Mullica Hill, NJ
I have a 2 year old B3300SU. 118 hours. Ran great until Monday when it lost power for a few minutes, and then stalled. With lots of cranking it will restart for 10 seconds, run rough, blue smoke from muffler and then die.

Dealer came out today to replace fuel filter. No change. They'll trailer it into the dealer tomorrow.

Maybe a blocked or bad fuel pump ? Bad fuel selenoid ? Maybe a blocked injector ?

Any suggestions ?

I'll post whatever the eventual solution is....

Thank you.:(

Rosher18

Equipment
L185DT (1977)
Aug 2, 2016
Salem, Oregon
Blue smoke usually indicates crankcase oil combustion, at least in my experience. I'm not so experienced with diesels, but is it possible you have a blown head gasket?

What does the oil look like if you pull and check the dipstick? What were you doing with it before it lost power? Is there enough coolant in the system?

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Rosher18

Equipment
L185DT (1977)
Aug 2, 2016
Salem, Oregon
It's a really new tractor though, so it's hard for me to think it has engine problems like this. Possibly damaged piston rings?

Does this have a Tier 4 engine?

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
I would check foolish and simple first. Blue smoke could also mean un burned fuel. With it losing power first, then stalling, the first thing I would check for is blockages at the fuel tank, then again at the fuel filter/filters.

Sometimes a bug, some algae, or other crud can plug up the little fittings at the filters, and the port on the fuel tank. Had one a while back that had one of those little lizards stuck in the drain on a fuel tank :rolleyes:

Could someone have accidently added gas to it by mistake?

Last edited:

Rosher18

Equipment
L185DT (1977)
Aug 2, 2016
Salem, Oregon
Let's go foolish and simple. I get too complex too rapidly most of the time.

See if a gravity test from the tank outlet shows decent fuel flow.

CowboyLawyer

Equipment
B3300SU purchase 3/2014
Mar 23, 2014
Mullica Hill, NJ
Re: B3300SU Runs 10 seconds and stalls -Diagnosis Heart Attack

My tractor had a heart attack. (Cheap and simple first wins).

The dealer suggested I try some simple things before they dragged it into their shop.

Dealer driver came out and changed the fuel filter. No luck. But, the filter was cruddy. I changed the air filter. Also cruddy. No luck. I suppose my farm with horses is dustier than some locations.

I pulled the fuel line at it's connection to the fuel filter, and had a bucket at the ready to catch the spewing fuel. No such luck. All I got was a few drips. I took a syringe and sucked back on the line, and an inch long plug of brown gooo came out, followed by copious amounts of fuel spilling forth. I reattached the line to the fuel filter. It started right up. Sludge blocking the fuel line. Ran great and smooth for a 90 minutes test after that.

Dealer was helpful and said it was probably a bacteria build up. Does anyone out there know the name of the additive to stop bacteria build up in diesel fuel ?

Last edited: