B20 White smoke

phil brooks

Equipment
B20, 4ft bush hog, back hoe (not Kubota B20), landscape rake, snow plough, etc
Hi, when i am mowing up hill (4ft pto driven bush hog on the back), i get white smoke out of the breather pipe that points downwards on the left (clutch) side of the tractor. Is this a problem? What does it mean?

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I just copied this for general information. Take from it what applies.

Other causes for a diesel engine failing to burn the diesel fuel and producing white smoke include poorly sealed piston rings, burnt-out glow plugs, poor fuel quality or a clogged air filter. Extreme engine problems, such as a cracked block, a cracked cylinder head, leaking valves or a blown head gasket, can also cause the problem.

Sometimes white smoke only appears when the engine starts cold, going away as the engine warms up. When this occurs, it is typically due to deposits around the piston rings. Products designed to flush carbon away from the pistons often cures this problem. If the white smoke is due to the engine being too cool, adding an automatic pre-heater may eliminate white diesel smoke.

Diesel engines also sometimes produce black or blue smoke, both of which are also signs of problems within the engine. Black smoke indicates poor combustion of the diesel fuel, and blue smoke is a sign of oil burning within the engine.

bucktail

Equipment
L1500DT, 6' king kutter back blade, boom, dirt scoop ford disk JD212
Jun 13, 2016
MN
If it's from the breather tube and not the exhaust, it just means you have blow-by. It's what the tube is there for. You always have some, and if it's starting and running well, it's probably normal. You can get the compression checked if your worried that the rings are worn out.

100 td

Equipment
B21TLB (B21, TL421 & BT751) Toyota SDK4 T116 Bobcat
Aug 29, 2015
ɹǝpunuʍop
If it's white smoke coming from your breather, it "could be" white water vapour, indicating a blown head gasket or similar.