Bx2816 sheer pin

Kendrix

Equipment
BX23S, Excavator, Loader, Snow Blowing
Apr 23, 2019
PA
Looking around and trying to find what you all use for sheer pins in your bx2816 show blower attachment? I have seen some purchase from Kubota. If so what is the correct part number. Some say to just purchase grade 8 bolts. What is everyone else using? Can you provide links?

atitus

Equipment
BX1880+FEL,MMM,Blower
Feb 11, 2019
Worcester, MA
I ordered a bunch from Messicks.
Part number for AUGER shear bolt: 70060-01338
Part number for IMPELLER shear bolt: 70060-01075

atitus

Equipment
BX1880+FEL,MMM,Blower
Feb 11, 2019
Worcester, MA
The official kubota shear pins have some indentation where its designed to shear. Not sure I'd feel comfortable replacing that with a plain bolt. Just my 2 cents.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
It is important to use the correct shear bolt, because if whatever you hit doesn't break the shear bolt, because you replaced it with standard hardware, something else is going to take the brunt of that hit. Many times, it is the gear box, and that damage can cost hundreds of dollars to repair. I just looked up the cost of the shear bolts, and they are $2.85 from Messicks. I usually purchase 10 at a time, and can go through 4 or 5 a snow season. Only once did I break the shear bolt on the fan, and I had to replace both the fan and the shear bolt, along with the drive chain. The snow blower ingested a large rock, which did a lot of damage. That was about 13 or 14 years ago, and it was my first lesson in disassembly of the blower. Since then, I have had it apart for maintenance, and it has been a work horse ever since. I have replaced the bearings a few times, since they are not grease-able, and replacements are inexpensive.

Kendrix

Equipment
BX23S, Excavator, Loader, Snow Blowing
Apr 23, 2019
PA
I ordered a bunch from Messicks.
Part number for AUGER shear bolt: 70060-01338
Part number for IMPELLER shear bolt: 70060-01075
Thanks, atitus. Placed my order with messicks for the fan, and the auger shear bolts.

Thank you to everyone else who provided feedback.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Use the wrong bolt at your peril.

Note the groove around the auger shear bolts.

Dave
Do you know where the groove is located in relationship to the shaft and hub interface? Right at the shaft surface(OD)?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

07wingnut

Lifetime Member
Feb 13, 2016
Clearwater, BC, CA
If you want to make your own, buy one of each type from kubota and use those to buy a bunch of bolts of the correct length and grade. Use the kubota OEM bolts to locate where the grooves should be. Put the bolt in a drill press, and while it is rotating in the press, use and angle grinder with a thin cutting wheel to make the grooves. That is how I make up mine. Takes a little time and saves a few bucks and some driving time.