Old tools - - Neat finds....

BXHoosier

Equipment
BX24
Jan 21, 2018
Indiana
This is not real old but it is definitely neat. A friend gave me this saw a few years ago. We both thought it was a miter saw until I got it home and started looking it over. It converts from a miter saw to a table saw. It was made by ELU in Germany in the 1960-1970s from what I can find online. There is nearly no info out there though.

Attachments

Reactions: 1 user

DaTow'd

Equipment
what ever it takes to get the job done
Aug 13, 2013
Bella Coma BC Canada
hey RCW
I think the saw your were referring to was made by Mercury
a couple of my logger friends each have one
the engine was used on Wajax Mark 1 fire pumps also
Hank

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
hey RCW

I think the saw your were referring to was made by Mercury

a couple of my logger friends each have one

the engine was used on Wajax Mark 1 fire pumps also

Hank

Yes!!! [emoji41] Pretty sure your right. That thing was a beast.
Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

redfernclan

Jul 18, 2014
Sweet home, Oregon
Just a couple I have run a cross through the years.
1/2 inch drive Plumb ratchet and some sort of spring loaded adapter that makes a breaker bar into a ratchet? You can just make out part of the snap on lettering but no dealer I have talked to has ever seen one. Anyone else seen one?

Attachments

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Picked this Crescent AT10 Spud wrench the other day at a garage sale. The guy had bought an abandoned storage unit full of tools, but this was the only tool I didn't have.

The seller told me it was used somehow for processing potatoes. 🤣

IMG_0001.JPG

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Yes!!! [emoji41] Pretty sure your right. That thing was a beast.
Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I once found an old crosscut saw in the woods and brought it to my office. One day a 80+ year old retired logger came into my office and saw it. He joked that he threw that away once he got his first chain saw.

imnukensc

Equipment
BX2380
Sep 10, 2015
Midlands of SC
Not a "find" really but this was my grandfather's scythe. My dad used this as a kid. He was born in '23. I, in turn, used the same scythe as a kid. I was born in '53. The blades are original.
Scythe.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
RCW, those tapered files were made for sharpening the old cross-cut saws.

My dad, who retired from his hardware store in 1986, died last year. He had kept a number of things, some of which we decided to keep and some which we need to find a new home for. Anybody need a NOS horse-drawn turning plow? Never has had the handles bolted on. I stopped at a hardware store on my way home the other day and a pair of plow handles was $50 !.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Not old tools, but my daughters new beau got me these for Christmas. Never met the fellow before Christmas Eve.

He Seems nice, and I like these a lot. Never saw them before, but had seen the Knipex name. Package says made in Germany.

Obviously trying to get on the big old guys good side……😀

7547D660-4B14-40D1-8527-2009050F2341.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Only tool I ever found was a snap on screwdriver in the side wall of my tire when I was going through town, I had to get a new tire but the snap on guy was at the tire store and he gave me a new screwdriver for that one, which I managed to loose in about a week :D
I found a really nice rigid brand grinder sitting in the middle of the road by the entrance to my banks drive through.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Not old tools, but my daughters new beau got me these for Christmas. Never met the fellow before Christmas Eve.

He Seems nice, and I like these a lot. Never saw them before, but had seen the Knipex name. Package says made in Germany.

View attachment 72385
I have an older set of those. Probably 13 years old now. Come in really handy. 👍👍👍

Now you need a set of Gear wrench ratcheting wrenches . 😁😁😁

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA

View attachment 72385
You can not beat Knipex pliers 👍

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
fixed, while the bf is still buying 🤣
Snap on man bailed out our shop. Same with the mac man. Only one still sniffing Round is the Matco man.

I always recommend gear wrenches for one reason. Just about every hardware store carries them so it's easier to get them warrantied.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I have an older set of those. Probably 13 years old now. Come in really handy. 👍👍👍

Now you need a set of Gear wrench ratcheting wrenches . 😁😁😁
fixed, while the bf is still buying
🤣
You can not beat Knipex pliers
👍

I'm okay with ratcheting wrenches for now. Couple smaller-sized sets; one is not-so-good.

But I'll remember that for a larger ratcheting set! :cool:

You guys will know - - - will these kinda take the place of a good adjustable wrench in some places?

Seem to be a better option just playing with them...

I'm missing a couple of my old stand-by Crescent wrenches...my son may have something to do with that...:oops:

Last edited:

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Snap on man bailed out our shop. Same with the mac man. Only one still sniffing Round is the Matco man.

I always recommend gear wrenches for one reason. Just about every hardware store carries them so it's easier to get them warrantied.
Snap on guy is no longer allowed on the company property, he will pull up across the street and call the few techs that still deal with him. We still have matco, mac, and cornwell.

Gearwrench aren’t too bad, my biggest issue with them was the edge was so “sharp”. I went with the matco twist ones. Easier on the hands (until they discontinued them 😡) have a few that broke and they just replace them with the regular ones now.

DC4FE96D-2266-41E9-AA5F-CD3E2F229635.jpeg