BX2200 with Frontier SB1154 rear snowblower

LobsterClaw207

Equipment
BX2680 with FEL and 60" MMM, rear PTO snowblower, 4' box blade, pallet forks
Jun 2, 2019
Gray, Maine
Hey all:

I just mounted up and used my SB1154 blower on the back of my BX2200 yesterday and I have a couple questions I hope somebody can help with.

The blower was pretty difficult to get on, getting the 3pt arms and top link connected and the PTO driveshaft lined up certainly took some doing. I'm not sure if there's a trick, but I don't know it.

My two main questions: the pins on the snowblower that the 3point arms slide over are in the upper of the two(?) positions it looks like they could be in. I think, and I may be wrong, that this is why the snowblower can't lift off the ground very far? I'm getting like 3" of lift maybe, so if I need to reverse with the blower "up" it is hitting the ground sometimes. Will moving the pins to the lower positions allow more lift? (I think it will because it seems obvious....). Do I need to shut the PTO off before lifting or lifting that high? Or will the driveshaft be fine?

Second question relates to sway side to side: mine can move maybe 10" or so from side to side if standing behind it. Is this play intentional? Should I attach the blower and then tighten the limiters on the 3pt arms so it is rigid or just has less play? It feels like it sways more than it should.

I'm hoping getting the arms lower on the blower helps keep the blower "flat" and scrape the ground, we got about 10" of light snow but the blower didn't really do a good job of getting even close to the pavement. I suspect this is because the arms pushing on the pins up higher are tilting the blower and messing with it's angle of attack.

Thanks!!! Sorry for the length, I can take pictures if anything isn't clear.

dlsmith

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2230, LA211
Nov 15, 2018
Goshen, IN
If you could post a couple of pictures, that would help us help you.

Yes, moving the pins for the side arms down will raise it up some, but that may not be the real problem.
There may be a limiter on the lever for raising and lowering the 3PH. I have one on my BX2230, and I had to adjust it. If it's not adjusted properly, it may limit the upward and downward travel.
Does the lever to raise and lower the 3PH center itself if you pull it up to raise the hitch and let go of it? If so, that is likely the problem.
You should be able to pull the lever back against the limit spring to raise it higher. It will stop when you get to the top of it's travel.
There is an adjustment on the rod under the seat area to set the position where it pushes the lever back to neutral.

Yes, you should use the turnbuckles on the lower arms to center the blower and take out the side to side movement.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

LobsterClaw207

Equipment
Jun 2, 2019
Gray, Maine
If you could post a couple of pictures, that would help us help you.

Yes, moving the pins for the side arms will raise it up some.
There may be a limiter on the lever for raising and lowering the 3PH. If it's not adjusted properly, it may limit the upward travel.
Does the lever to raise and lower the 3PH center itself if you pull it up to raise the hitch and let go of it? If so, that is likely the problem.
You should be able to pull the lever back against the stop spring to raise it higher. It will stop when you get to the top of it's travel.
There is an adjustment on the rod under the seat area to set the position where it pushes the lever back to neutral.

Yes, you should use the turnbuckles on the lower arms to center the blower and take out the side to side movement.

Hope this helps.

It sure does! I will post a couple pictures just need to go take them. The lever to raise the 3pt does center itself if I let go. Sometimes it does stick in the "up" position and I can hear sounds like the relief/bypass valve is functioning (at least that's what I think it is, it sounds like the tractor is still trying to lift it even in the highest position when the lever sticks like that). It appears to have full range of motion, when I have the trailer hitch drawbar on the back it goes from basically dragging on the ground to pointed almost 45 degrees or so. I'll get pics!

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
dlsmith did a great job, but pics would help..

Only thing I would add is that the "angle of attack" may need some adjustment of the length of the top link. The top link is threaded to allow it be shortened/lengthened. That might help with the blower's aspect.

dlsmith

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2230, LA211
Nov 15, 2018
Goshen, IN
Here is a picture of the rod that moves the 3PH lever back to neutral.
The nuts on the near end adjust the up travel, a stop on the forward part of the rod is for adjusting the down travel.

Attachments

LobsterClaw207

Equipment
Jun 2, 2019
Gray, Maine
Trying to post pictures, but they keep failing due to being too large I think. I'll have to find somewhere to host them...

dlsmith

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2230, LA211
Nov 15, 2018
Goshen, IN
There are online sites to resize them. Just Google "Online image resizer."

There is also a Windows add-on the can do it. It puts an option in the right-click context menu to resize images.

Attachments

Last edited:

LobsterClaw207

Equipment
Jun 2, 2019
Gray, Maine
Ahhhh thank you. That worked, here are a few pictures. I read the manual again (go figure) and it specifically said to put the pins in the lower holes... not sure why the previous owner of this blower, who had a tractor similar in size to my BX, would've gone top holes.

Now to find a wrench big enough to swap them... my biggest is 1" and that's about 1/4" too small it seems.

Attachments

dlsmith

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2230, LA211
Nov 15, 2018
Goshen, IN
Glad to hear you got it figured out, both the image resizing and the pin location.
I would measure the nuts before you buy a wrench, and FWIW, a cheapo impact socket might be cheaper than a wrench that size, even if you just use it on you 1/2" ratchet or breaker bar. Looking at the pictures you're going to need a deep socket instead of a shallow one.

LobsterClaw207

Equipment
Jun 2, 2019
Gray, Maine
I used the snowblower this past week, with the pins in the lower spots and the side to side movement removed... what a night and day difference.

The only thing I noticed now, was that even when fully lowered the top link is at sort of an odd angle. I'm not sure how much of a difference that makes, I measured about 13" from pin to pin and it is fully closed. I'm wondering if I should go shorter to get it at less of an angle - but then I can't seem to find a shorter one anyway in Category 1 which is probably a clue.... right?