Cables for loader joystick frozen..help

mopar2ya

Dec 9, 2013
ontario canada
I have a L4610 and when it gets below freezing my joystick freezes making it difficult to use the loader. how would I address this issue? I was thinking of drilling a small hole in each cable and heating it up with a hair dryer until water drains out. Any better idea's??

Cobraone

Equipment
B2650, G1800 FWS, B2782B snow blower, RC48G20 mower deck
Jan 27, 2018
Boyne City, Michigan
I have a L4610 and when it gets below freezing my joystick freezes making it difficult to use the loader. how would I address this issue? I was thinking of drilling a small hole in each cable and heating it up with a hair dryer until water drains out. Any better idea's??
Try to flush with alcohol, they make a cable tool for motorcycles that should work, we flushed aircraft cables to prevent freezing. After flushing with alcohol we used tri flow to lubricate the cable, tri flow has suspended Teflon, also know as mouse milk.

Last edited:

twomany

Equipment
B7200
Jul 10, 2017
Vermont
Cabraone has given good advice.

Dri-gas is readily available , Use that to clear the ice.

Then lube the cables well. TriFlow/ TriFlon etc. works well. cable lube is sold at motorbike shops.

Keep the controls covered in wet weather.!

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I'm not familiar with your model specifically, but see if this applies.

On the backside of your joystick is two metal "covers" held on by a couple of screws. The two spools that control oil flow inside the valve body slide into this area. Remove the screws and the covers will come off. Clean the crud, and moisture there, and sometimes rust from the springs. Spray with some WD-40. It's a designed water dispersant! Some even drill a small hole on the bottom position of the cover to let moisture out, and/or put some lithium grease in there.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Kubota cables are a difficult design once water gets in.

I bought a large animal syringe at TSC and injected gas line antifreeze through the upper rubber seal.

Dave