Warn me against this money pit B7100

Tranberg

Nov 26, 2019
Copenhagen, Denmark
I'm looking at this snow removal and salt spreading victim:

dba dot dk/havetraktor-kubota-16-hk/id-1060036552/ (as long as the ad lasts)

3294 hours indicated.

Intended use: Maintaining 7 acres, hereof 4 acres horse pasture and 1½ wood, the rst buildings and gravel driveway.

A useful toy, in other words.

Asking price $2200. Cosmetically better specimens are advertised from $4500 upwards

This is in Denmark, Europe, so your mileage may vary

Worth looking at? It's 100 miles/2 hours away.

dlundblad

Equipment
G5200, L2501, ZD1211
May 16, 2009
IN
If it was used to spread salt and is terribly rusted, I would pass for that reason alone.

The hours would not bother me.. Perhaps you can talk the seller down a bit though.

I am assuming it is 4 wheel drive?

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
I'm looking at this snow removal and salt spreading victim:

dba dot dk/havetraktor-kubota-16-hk/id-1060036552/ (as long as the ad lasts)

3294 hours indicated.

Intended use: Maintaining 7 acres, hereof 4 acres horse pasture and 1½ wood, the rst buildings and gravel driveway.

A useful toy, in other words.

Asking price $2200. Cosmetically better specimens are advertised from $4500 upwards

This is in Denmark, Europe, so your mileage may vary

Worth looking at? It's 100 miles/2 hours away.
That's a lot of hours, particularly if HST.

SDT

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I looked at the ad ( interesting I can read some Danish..being a Canuck ).
I'd go there with trailer and $2000. Try $1800 first though...)
If you're getting all the implements, it'd be a 'deal' here. Salt doesn't bother me, LOTS used on Ontario roads. If not using immediately, remove tires, cab, etc. and use lots of soap/water/rinse to remove 99% of the salt. Do a 'lick' test.
Once it's clean THEN replace oils and filters. If the wiring looks 'bad', replace 100%. Be sure to get manual and wiring diagrams FIRST and take LOTS of pictures BEFORE tearing it down.
It's 4wd hydro..withstood the test of time.. If you can afford it, it'll be a nice 'Winter project' and look brand new come Springtime !!

Jay

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
The B7100 is a rock solid, simple, reliable tractor. If it has been taken care of, it still has life left in it. I'd own one, again, in a heartbeat.

Reactions: 1 user

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I deal with a lot of B7100, at $2650 for a b7100 with a cab, I would be there already!

Going rate for a B7100 in my area is $5000 or better. ;)

NoJacketRequired

Equipment
B7510 & LA302 FEL & B2782 blower, B7510 & B2781 blower, B2410 & B2550 blower
May 25, 2016
Ottawa, Ontario
I'll post a contrarian reply. One of my B7510's was used on urban streets, clearing snow in private driveways. The salt damage on this tractor is minimal but it still makes the task of working on anything that's touched salt a total PITA. Things that should just unbolt need to be cut off with a torch.

With this knowledge in hand, I won't even take my tractor up to the subdivision at the end of our road because the paved road there is salted. It's just not worth it. Doesn't matter how much you wash and oil the machine, the salt gets into places where you just can't wash it out, those tight places where it sits and festers and rots steel and corrodes wiring.

From my experience you're MUCH better off to look for a tractor that has had no salt exposure. I found a second B7510 that had never seen salt - it's a totally different machine to work on, a joy. I'd happily pay a thousand or two not to have salt damage.

Reactions: 1 user

Tranberg

Nov 26, 2019
Copenhagen, Denmark
The problem is that all small Kubotas in my country, apart from very old grey imports, were bought for clearing snow and spreading salt on sidewalks and parking lots.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Rust is easy to deal with, simple sandblast or otherwie mechanically remove. Once clean, use an epoxy primer then 'orange' paint.
All of the rust in those pictures is 'surface'.. Oh yeah, replace rad cap....
I redid a Ford 8N by using electrolysis, 100% removal of flakey paint and yucky rust.

As I said preiviously, it'd make a great Winter project, providing you've got a
heated garage !

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Ok one thing scares me, where is the air filter! :eek::eek::eek::eek:

And it's 329.4 hours, my best guess is, it's spun around a couple of times. ;)

I do like the fancy stainless exhaust on it though.

Last edited:

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Ya, that cover missing of the air filter box, and then no filter inside.... No telling what's been ingested into the engine over time, even if it's just been missing since it's been setting. If the engine has been run that way, there is a real good chance major repairs are in order!

Checking compression as it sets there doesn't look like an option. Might try to discover how long it has set in that condition, then cross your fingers for good luck!

Tranberg

Nov 26, 2019
Copenhagen, Denmark
The ad says 3,329 hours, but it could be 4,329 or 5,329

I noticed the missing air filter cover with disaproval as well.

I've read a dozen threads about owners' problems with new to them B7100's, and it scares me that you can buy a tractor that runs and a few operating hours later, it dosn't move under its own power any longer, because something broke inside the transmission.

Can the previous owner make temporary "repairs" that stand up to a shallow inspection and token test drive, but fail when the tractor is put into real use, or do the buyers simply ignore all the "do not buy" signs?

I know that I have done my part of the latter mistake on many purchases, because I didn't have the money to buy the good stuff.

How can I test if the transmission holds up, short of actually taking the tractor to a field and start plowing?

I know that I want the engine to be stone cold when I arrive.

The wiring harness/loom makes me cringe, and although I respect the Japanese electrical workmanship, 1970's design philosophy leaves me cold, and I would ditch the whole mess and start from scratch:

• 100A+ car alternator with built-in regulator, which can draw an inverter for power tools
    Glow plug control relay from a modern-ish car, which automatically adjusts pre- and after glow according to temperature
    Marine-grade fuse panel, relays and wiring
    LED lighting in abundance

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
The missing air filter/cover doesn't really worry me,especially if it was used only for snow removal. No walkbehind snowblower has an air filter. I haven't seen any since the 70's. so that's MILLIONS of engines without air filters...
The rusty plow( missing a share BTW), might take an hour to cleanup for the field. I have a 3 furrow plow, every year, less than an hour labour before I go into the gardens.
Rewiring the tractor is a weekend project after you buy enough wire and connectors first. Simply remove the old harness then cut wire,crimp connectors, one at a time. I've done lots of tractors and a truck, with ZERO wires in them. Obviously have a wiring diagram before you start. Maybe use Google and see if someone makes a reproduction or replacement harness. It'll cost more than parts though ! If you want to 'upgrade' the electrical system, do that AFTER rewiring and you've got some hours on the tractor.
I'd call and be sure it does run, see pictures of it running. Can't be any dust in the air, Winter's coming. I run engines all the time for testing,never a problem. After 5 decades of 'turning wrenches', I can't be that lucky to not destroy an engine.

It comes down to how handy or skilled you are and whether you want to work on it. If you don't have the skills, then you'll have to pay more for a cleaner,newer tractor.

Jay

Bmbbm

Equipment
Bx2370 land pride box blade 60"mmm kubota fel
May 29, 2016
Chillicothe mo
Never seen one with that much rust. If you want it to look nice your gonna spend lots of $$$. If your looking for a tool and don't care about looks go for it, you don't get much of a tractor for $2200.00 around here in the Midwest.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Tranberg,

Each machine has it's challenges with many variables. The outcome has a lot to do with the information you have to purchase it or not. Then your perception of the finished product determines your energy level and cost to get it in that condition. It all boils down to YOU. You alone have to determine your willingness to put funds to get it where you want it.

You have to evaluate your hopes. Like you want a large alternator, but where are you going to mount it? Best check to see what others have done, and why?

I've purchased tractors and when I put a picture of it on this forum I was told it better be "a labor of love" (because there was no hope in that person's mind). If you have the skills, time, desire to work in such a tractor, don't pay much attention to any nay-sayers. They simply have a different mind set/experiences.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
  • 100A+ car alternator with built-in regulator, which can draw an inverter for power tools
    Glow plug control relay from a modern-ish car, which automatically adjusts pre- and after glow according to temperature
    Marine-grade fuse panel, relays and wiring
    LED lighting in abundance
I've done the alternator add on, added a solenoid to shut it down, changed out to a D950 with a water pump.
Didn't bother with changing the electrical or adding anything fancy to the glow plugs as they work fine how they are. ;)

You can do a lot of alterations to the B7100's, I've done several.

I'm toying with the Idea of making a road grader out of one I have here.
Adding hydrostatic steering, stretching and arching the front frame, adding another axle to the rear.
Biggest challenge is possibly making it a hydraulic drive for the front drive axle, or going through the effort to make the drive shaft go up and over and arch.
Should be fun.

BX23S-1

May 29, 2017
No where Special
I bought a brand new B7100 (i think it was 1982 or 1983), spent more time in the dealership for front ring & pinion issues than being at my house with me. After the 5th or 6th time that it snapped the ring & pinion, i gave up on kubota. I got tired of it breaking down so i told the bank to come get their tractor. Dealer told me back then they had issues with the front ring & pinion with the B7100.

Make sure the 4WD works before you buy it. If the front ring & pinion are broke, it will have a pretty loud clunking snapping popping sound coming from the front end, especially when you try to turn the tractor around while in 4WD. I would also check all the fluids to see if there are any metal filings appearing.

Whats up with the breather cover missing... that would scare me to buy it right there alone! As for the rest of the tractor, it would not intrest me in even bothering with it. There are better deals to be had. This one looks like a money pit to me.