New Member Hello

Sunnyside Up

Equipment
24 disk 20" harrow, Woods box, cultivator, M6060 soon, JD 1020, Cole Planter,
Hello, I’m a new member from SC. I joined OTT a month ago in anticipation of purchasing a M6060HDC tractor with the 1154 loader, and wanting to learn from other Kubota owners. I found this forum researching Kubota tractors—there seem to several options for tractors in this horsepower range. Researching what other owners have to say about their Kubota equipment and experiences has been insightful. I currently have a Deere 1020 and look forward to a little more power. I am interested in adding a grapple as we normally have at least one storm a year swipe our coast and bring down much debris, and often trees—and a grapple would save me, and my other family members, days of clean up time. It seems from reading the forum that many members are partial to EA for this. So, I should ask the dealer to install the 3rd function valve?
Any advice, precautions, suggestions, nuances, etc. would be helpful. Thank you.
Robert E

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Welcome Robert, sounds like a big jump in horsepower and size, I'm envious.

I see a lot of EA grapples in the smaller machines, I'm not sure whether they're also the go-to in the larger machines.

Third functions are apparently easy to install if you're handy, and would perhaps be worth installing yourself if a second hand machine. On a new machine I'd lean towards the dealer doing it - you'll be sad if you cut a hole in the wrong place on a new machine, on an older machine it's just a bit more character.

Last edited:

rjcorazza

Equipment
L4060 HSTC Loader, ZD326, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2016
Hyattstown, MD
I would definitely have the dealer install the 3rd function on a new machine, and also give thought to biting the bullet with at least (2) rear remotes also.
EA has a good reputation in grapples, but I do not have first hand experience. I've read that they were slow in delivering due to demand and expansion difficulties. Perhaps they have overcome these issues. Anyway, I never got a grapple after using pallet forks for similar work. Not as versatile as a grapple, but I get a lot done with the forks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Sunnyside Up

Equipment
24 disk 20" harrow, Woods box, cultivator, M6060 soon, JD 1020, Cole Planter,
PaulL, Roadw, RJ, and CP, thanks for your responses. I've never posted on a forum before--although I've read a few--and don't want to say the wrong thing.
I tried to reply a few minutes ago, but I must have "timed out" somehow.
I also called EA a couple of weeks ago and didn't get very far. The tractor is listed as being 73" wide, and the two grapples in the HP range for my tractor are 55" and 73" wide respectively. Thoughts on either width (the 1154 loader is 72" wide)? Thank you, Robert E

rjcorazza

Equipment
L4060 HSTC Loader, ZD326, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2016
Hyattstown, MD
PaulL, Roadw, RJ, and CP, thanks for your responses. I've never posted on a forum before--although I've read a few--and don't want to say the wrong thing.

I tried to reply a few minutes ago, but I must have "timed out" somehow.

I also called EA a couple of weeks ago and didn't get very far. The tractor is listed as being 73" wide, and the two grapples in the HP range for my tractor are 55" and 73" wide respectively. Thoughts on either width (the 1154 loader is 72" wide)? Thank you, Robert E

Grapples do not strictly size to the width of the tractor. Generally speaking, wider tractors are usually larger in weight, horsepower, and loader capacity though. Check your loader capacity (and pay attention to how it is measured) and the weight of the grapple to get an idea of what you will be able to lift. For light brush, wider the better... Large logs will bring you to the loader capacity quicker with a heavy grapple.
You will also want to read up on ballast weight when doing heavy loader work.

KennysNewFarm

Equipment
MX5800
Dec 28, 2017
Missouri
I would definitely have the dealer install the 3rd function on a new machine, and also give thought to biting the bullet with at least (2) rear remotes also.
EA has a good reputation in grapples, but I do not have first hand experience. I've read that they were slow in delivering due to demand and expansion difficulties. Perhaps they have overcome these issues. Anyway, I never got a grapple after using pallet forks for similar work. Not as versatile as a grapple, but I get a lot done with the forks.

Good advice from Rjcorazza. If I could do it over again I would have negotiated a 3rd function and two remotes. Now is the time to negotiate all the things you ever wanted. I would also recommend wheel weights or loaded tires. To use my MX5800 without any weights causes me to leave the unit in four wheel drive a lot.

SMKK

Equipment
B2650
Aug 22, 2019
Lachine, QC
Hello, I’m a new member from SC. I joined OTT a month ago in anticipation of purchasing a M6060HDC tractor with the 1154 loader, and wanting to learn from other Kubota owners. I found this forum researching Kubota tractors—there seem to several options for tractors in this horsepower range. Researching what other owners have to say about their Kubota equipment and experiences has been insightful. I currently have a Deere 1020 and look forward to a little more power. I am interested in adding a grapple as we normally have at least one storm a year swipe our coast and bring down much debris, and often trees—and a grapple would save me, and my other family members, days of clean up time. It seems from reading the forum that many members are partial to EA for this. So, I should ask the dealer to install the 3rd function valve?
Any advice, precautions, suggestions, nuances, etc. would be helpful. Thank you.
Robert E
3rd function is a must, especially if you are looking at a grapple in the near future. The dealer option should be a nice clean install too. On a tractor that size I would go for rear remotes too.

I spent a lot of time looking for a grapple. EA makes nice implements, solid and well built. I ended up ordering an EA grapple for my B2650, I was concerned about the weight as I didn’t want to lose lifting capacity. Their 55” wicked root rake was my choice.

I will probably order some implements in the future like a landscape rake and box blade