How many BX owners are there?

KennysNewFarm

Equipment
MX5800
Dec 28, 2017
Missouri
Just wondering how many people own a BX? Every new thread seems to be a question about a BX or I just purchased a BX or am I paying too much for this BX? With all the threads on file is there a need to post any more questions? Just curious I like to read about tractors but I am running out of topics on the bigger ones like mine. :confused:

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Well there is a ton of us with BX's, and I know you big tractor guys look down on them,,literately and figurative . :D. and for most, the BX is their first foray into the world of tractors and for the most part know very little or nothing about them.
It is like Harley riders, every new one that comes along has questions that need answered.
Like anything if you didnt grow up with them they are a mystery that needs sorted out.
For myself the little beast fits my needs, a B would be nice but the BX if I watch what I am doing, fills the bill.
Most will never be used to their fullest potential and will live out their lives mowing grass, then there are those that work for a living like mine

KennysNewFarm

Equipment
MX5800
Dec 28, 2017
Missouri
I do not look down on people for owning one. From my view point I see them as a riding lawn mower not a tractor. I am sure I will get kicked for the comment but oh well. My zero turn has a bigger motor, and so it is hard to see what the fuss is all about I guess. I have a Harley too I guess it is no different. I have a bagger and some people would rather have a sporty.

Last edited:

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
I think Skeets made an accurate observation. I believe the folks who own bigger tractors are more prone to tear into them while the BX owners probably expect them to be like cars and just fuel and go. As far as Harleys go, how many owners actually work on their bikes? My shovel was pretty much trouble free because I'd do maintenance as needed. Yes, I've got an Evo now and will probably never have a twin cam. Like cars they are designed to go to the shop to be worked on. My new tractor is an L2501 because it has no computer and i can work on it. I'm not sure the same can be said of a B or a BX.

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
I believe the folks who own bigger tractors are more prone to tear into them while the BX owners probably expect them to be like cars and just fuel and go.
I highly doubt any bx owner expects it to “just be like a car and go”. The very principle of owning a machine is to do stuff yourself which means owners are already likely predisposed to turn a wrench.

Sure a little assurance from the community is helpful for guidance, especially for new owners. I can think of at least 3 new owners on this forum in my short time of belonging here, that have gone head first tearing into their machine immediately.

Bx, l, m, whatever, it has nothing to do with the size or model and everything to do w the owners comfort level, time, or desire. Same can be said for a car, boat or airplane. It’s all the same, and we’re all here to share knowledge.

Last edited:

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I bought my BX23S last year (237 hrs on it) as a 'lifetime' investment. It'll never have a mower unit on it, I've got a 25 year old MTD to cut the 1/2 acre of grass.
While I am a 'wrench turner', I don't have a desire to fix it if it breaks down, heck the dealer does the oil changes. If HE does something wrong HE buys me a new tractor, if I do the big booboo , I'm out 24K.
I use it to mix and haul tons of compost,avg of 2 dump trailers a week, year round. The backhoe is great at digging ditches and moving 'stuff' to build up berms.
It's super handy to move trailers and trucks and such. HLA pallet forks carry the smaller loads though I'm STILL looking to buy KENDA K514s for the fronts.
Once I get my SSQA gaspowered snowblower project finished(V2.0), it'll easily handle the 7-8 long driveways I do.
It may be small BUT it does what I NEED it to do and is a perfect compliment to my Allis-Chalmers D-14 that does the 'bull work' of prepping the wife's 1/2 ac veggy garden.
I treat it as a tool not as a toy. It 'fits' into my operation here, small enough to get into the cramped spaces but big on features needed.

Jay

m.t.hands

Equipment
L 5030, L 3400 and BX2200
Jul 26, 2015
NE Bama
of the tractors i own the BX2200 is the only one i will not sell, 2 reasons it cannot be replaced for what it will bring, and in terms of usefulness, and people look at them as "glorified" lawnmowers, when in reality they are amazing little machines and have the agility of a mountain goat, great in tight situations and while they will not do everything a larger tractor will, most task can be fulfilled with them, just have to work "Smaller" like the way you eat an elephant, one bite at a time;)

in fact i just bought another one that i'll probably flip

BX1850 less than 300 hrs needs hood/bonnet and lights i think around 700-1100 $ worth of parts and i bought it for a song:D

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
"a rideing lawn mower"????I haven't had my mowing deck on in 2 years. I have moved tons of rock, dirt and piled thousands of pound of brush, pulled up numerous small trees and pulled my wifes mower out of the ditch. This is a tractor, just like the b is smaller than an m, the bx is the smallest.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Kenny please understand the remark about looking down was meant to be a tongue in cheek wise crack and nothing more, OK I have a strange sense of humor.:D
I would venture that anyone that has a large "B" and on up has been around tractors most likely all their lives, so they know and understand about them. And like I said newbees need help, just like new HD riders, I have spent enough time on HD boards where the same question comes up over and over, about oil about cleaning and so on, and if one looks these all come from new never before owned a HD or bike at all. In some cases they are intimidated or heard from someone about yadayadayada and need to be educated. Simple I wish I could use an MX but I couldnt get through the orchard with one.:eek:

AndyM

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25DTLB
Sep 21, 2016
Vancouver Island Canada
The BX was my first real tractor (small but real). I debated at length about a B vs a BX (and still privately lust over a 2650) but believe it was the right choice for me - it does all I need to do and is small enough to get into the place I need to go. Given what it costs out here to contract stuff out I would say I am paid in full in 3 years.

Having the folks on this site help the rookie get going has been invaluable.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
of the tractors i own the BX2200 is the only one i will not sell, 2 reasons it cannot be replaced for what it will bring, and in terms of usefulness, and people look at them as "glorified" lawnmowers, when in reality they are amazing little machines and have the agility of a mountain goat, great in tight situations and while they will not do everything a larger tractor will, most task can be fulfilled with them, just have to work "Smaller" like the way you eat an elephant, one bite at a time;)

in fact i just bought another one that i'll probably flip

BX1850 less than 300 hrs needs hood/bonnet and lights i think around 700-1100 $ worth of parts and i bought it for a song:D
M.T. what's the name of the song, How Great Thou Art?:D:D

dlsmith

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2230, LA211
Nov 15, 2018
Goshen, IN
While I'm a relative newcomer to the Kubota owners club, I have wanted one for 10 or 15 years. In October of 2018, a friend, who owns a BX2230 I have lusted over since he bought it in 2005, found one for sale at a dealer and called me to let me know about it. I called them about the details of the machine and drove 60 miles to look at it the next day. It was a very clean BX2230 with 1340 hours on it, an FEL, 60" MMD and 3 point hitch. I haggled with the dealer and got him down a few hundred dollars and got him to replace the plastic wheels on the mower deck. I took my trailer up the next Saturday and picked it up.
My BX is the handiest piece of equipment I have ever owned, and I can't imagine how I got along without it for so long. The FEL is great to have for so many different tasks like lifting a generator onto the bench to work on it and moving top dirt, gravel and mulch.
Now that I have it, it's amazing how many friends borrow it or have me do a little job for them.
It's a great little machine and it's built like a tank. I love it.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Kenny - it's an interesting topic.

Like you said, there's SO many BX threads. I have a BX too.:D

I think skeets said you guys with the bigger machines may have been around tractors a long time. It's what you do for a living or a very serious hobby to justify the $$ for a big tractor.

I grew up a farm boy, and still have a whopping 32hp tractor, but it's 7,000lb and 60+ years old. Even that old-timer can still lift, push and pull some serious stuff. :)

Years before I bought my BX2360, I took my Dad to a local Kubota dealer to look at BX's. He thought they were the bee's knees, and all he knew were "real" farm tractors. Like dlsmith said, I looked at them for years, and finally bought one in 2013.

What I found was that when I had a JD Garden tractor (1992 JD425 with mower, blower and blade), for a few $$ more than another JD replacement, I could get diesel, double the weight, a loader and 3PH with a Kubota. We all know what those options add for versatility.

Early on, I wished I had looked just a little bigger Kubota (B series), because maybe I thought it could do more. That said, I love my BX. Lately I've thought if a change were made, it would be to add a larger loader tractor, and keep the BX for mowing and snowblowing.

In this day-and-age, there's guys and gals that are looking for a "Swiss Army Knife" tractor for their rural or suburban properties. They need something powerful for it's size, versatile over all seasons, not too big, and easy to service and to store.

Thus, welcome the popularity of the BX. I have no idea the number of units Kubota sells by series, but I'd guess BX and B are top of the list.

Again, getting back to skeets' remark, some/many of those BX owners' are new to tractors. As such, they look for help where they can get it, and find OTT...

Those guys and gals that buy an M series for their working farm probably don't as much help from an on-line forum.

I might be way off, but it's just my take on it. Again, interesting topic!:)

Last edited:

m.t.hands

Equipment
L 5030, L 3400 and BX2200
Jul 26, 2015
NE Bama
M.T. what's the name of the song, How Great Thou Art?:D:D
i was doing some looking for a member here (1968rt) https://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43750

and an unbelievable add showed up Saturday morning in my google search, i actually thought scam again, when i called the guy he stated the pictures of the tractor were when he first got it, and he said it is a little beat up, but runs and operates fine, arranged a time to look at it (local) and like i said the front has had some interaction with some immobile objects:eek: the wife was happy too:p:D:D i'll put some pics up later;)

bearskinner

Equipment
BX25D, snowblower, PHD, Grapple, Snow blade, land Plane
Sep 1, 2014
N. Idaho
I am a BX owner, although I learned to drive on many green full sized tractors, caterpillar D2 & D6, even old cable rigs. The BX is the only tractor that fits thru the trees here. I was looking specifically for a SCUT. The implements with the BX are perfect for my acerage and the small tractor fits better thru the trails in my woods than even the Yamaha Rhino farm vehicle.
I do not mow with it, we have a ride on for that. I’ve built outbuildings, cleared brush, blown snow, hauled logs, graded off roads with this little tractor. It just plain fits my current needs. It’s the perfect size

KennysNewFarm

Equipment
MX5800
Dec 28, 2017
Missouri
I appreciate all the responses and also appreciate the fact no one gave me grief for asking the question. I look at how small they are and wonder how they really handle all the options you can buy. I wish I could afford a Skid Steer that will be my next purchase for the farm. Just like a tractor though the skid steer size will determine what implements it can handle.

Bmbbm

Equipment
Bx2370 land pride box blade 60"mmm kubota fel
May 29, 2016
Chillicothe mo
Kenny I am also a BX owner. I don’t think most BX owners are farmers. I find that my BX2370 is perfect for my needs. I have a 3 acre property that I’ve built 4 mini storage buildings on. I use the BX to keep it mowed. I also have quite a bit of gravel to maintain. I use the FEL, Box Blade and drag harrow to keep it smoothed out and looking good. I love my BX and find it is the perfect size for me.

rokhunter

Equipment
BX23S TLB
Dec 28, 2018
Baker, Florida, United States
I grew up on farms & ranches with "real" tractors doing real tractor work. I was the high school kid driving a 9600-series JD with an 80' plow behind it. Now that I've grown up and have my own couple acres, the BX fits absolutely perfect for what I need. That zero turn with the bigger motor won't dig out all the stumps my 23S backhoe has, nor will it move the dirt that I've moved with the FEL, it surely won't pull the stacks of brush that I've pulled around in 4-low, and it doesn't have the pallet forks I've used to move those brush stacks around & dump on the fire. I considered the B series when I bought the BX but the extra $5k didn't seem justifiable, and since then the BX has done plenty of work in confined spaces that a B was too big for. And yeah, I did just hang the mower deck under it a week ago, and it's crushed the mowing tasks I've needed to do as well!

Whether it's viewed by others as a fake, toy, overblown lawn tractor or whatever else, it's spent a year doing things for me that no other single machine besides a sub-compact tractor could do. It's more than earned it's keep and has been worth every single penny I spent on it, and then some.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

dlsmith

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2230, LA211
Nov 15, 2018
Goshen, IN
What I found was that when I had a JD Garden tractor (1992 JD425 with mower, blower and blade), for a few $$ more than another JD replacement, I could get diesel, double the weight, a loader and 3PH with a Kubota. We all know what those options add for versatility.
That's interesting, I still have a 1991 JD 430 Diesel I bought in 1993. It has been a good tractor but I never thought the front end was stout enough to handle an FEL. I have a cab and a snow blower on it full time, since I use the BX to mow now.

Attachments