Hydraulic Chute Deflection on Front Mount Snowblower

DeepWoods

Equipment
B2650HSDC Woodland Mills WC68 Wood Chipper
Apr 10, 2019
Bigfork Minnesota
I'm just about ready to order a front mount snowblower for my B2650HSDC, and the cost of the hydraulic chute deflection is a very expensive option. I will get the hydraulic chute rotation as I feel it is worth it, but will I regret not getting the hydraulic deflection? For those that have a front mount snowblower, what say you.

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I'd say buy it now, because you will regret not having it later. I built mine about 15 years ago, and if I could have purchased one, I would have done it in a heartbeat! Back then, everything was manual, and you got off the tractor to do the change when it was required.

200mph

Equipment
L4740-3 Cab, FEL, Fnt Snow Blower L2185, LP Finish Mower, LP Rotary Mower
Mar 3, 2017
PA
I have an electric actuator on my L-Series front blower for chute deflection. It's about 10 years old and works like a champ. A lot more economical than going hydraulic.

A number of folks have purchased 12 volt linear actuators and made there own. A reasonable option if you're handy. There are a number of videos showing what people have done. Should be able to do this for under $200 with ease.

Is an electric actuator not an option from Kubota?

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
I second what 200MPH says. For under $50 you can buy a 12vdc linear actuator and add it to your chute. It's not hard at all to figure out the mounting locations to utilize the full throw of the actuator. The actuators have built in limit switches so that if you mount it properly it will shut itself off before it binds in either direction or anywhere in between with your input. I used a momentary double pole/double throw/center off switch to jog the chute up or down. Let go of the switch and it returns to the center off position. I'd be glad to help you with the wiring diagram if you'd like!

Won't be long we'll need to put on those winter front covers!! :D Unfortunately!

Regards,
David

Can also send you pictures of my setup too, if you'd like.

Last edited:

SMKK

Equipment
B2650
Aug 22, 2019
Lachine, QC
I have to agree with everyone else, my dealers mechanic told me to go aftermarket if I wanted chute deflection. He told me for less then a 100$ I could install one. Personally I have no issue with a manual chute deflection as I will be blowing the snow into a field.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
I had a manual chute deflector and adjusted it once, then never touched it again. My goal is to blow snow as far away as possible. I have the space to dump snow so the deflector was never needed.

If you have hydraulic remotes available small double acting cylinders are pretty cheap and the hoses and fittings will probably cost you the most. If not go electric.

The hydraulic chute turner is worth its weight in gold.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I've had two different front mounts over last 17 years.
Like mikester, I only remember adjusting the deflector 3 or 4 times in all those years.

Sent from my QTASUN1 using Tapatalk

200mph

Equipment
L4740-3 Cab, FEL, Fnt Snow Blower L2185, LP Finish Mower, LP Rotary Mower
Mar 3, 2017
PA
I've had two different front mounts over last 17 years.
Like mikester, I only remember adjusting the deflector 3 or 4 times in all those years.

Sent from my QTASUN1 using Tapatalk
But how many times did you wish you could and it was too much trouble to do so? :D

I thought the same way until I had the option. Once you can adjust via a simple switch/lever you'll do it more frequently. This is especially true with open cabin and windy conditions. :D

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
But how many times did you wish you could and it was too much trouble to do so? :D

I thought the same way until I had the option. Once you can adjust via a simple switch/lever you'll do it more frequently. This is especially true with open cabin and windy conditions. :D
If you are cleaning driveways in residential subdivisions then you will want one.

If you are simply cleaning your country driveway with 100 open acres to aim at then, like me, you will never use it. You will just aim down wind and want it to go as far away as possible.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I guess I'm in a similar spot to mikester.

I really just go for distance, and except near the road, the farther I toss it the better. Along the road, I adjust via rotation so I don't throw it out there.

When I occasionally do the neighbors', the places are far enough apart that I don't have any problems as long as I pay attention.

I rotate manually now, after many years of hydraulic on my JD. That I do miss on occasions.

Last edited:

DeepWoods

Equipment
Apr 10, 2019
Bigfork Minnesota
I just got off the phone with my dealer, and told him to remove the hydraulic deflector from the order. He said he has everything in stock but the drive shaft. He also told me I was approved for zero financing and would let me know when the drive shaft was in so I could pick up my order. Should have it before the snow flys. Acually , we have had snow already, but nothing that stayed on the ground. thanks for all the replies, I saved a bunch of money thanks to all of you. And as pointed out, I can always add it later if I really think I need it.

thebicman

Equipment
B2601 + BX2755HD + 50" box blade
Feb 2, 2017
Ottawa, ontario
Had the same thought as you. Had a 3 point blower and never did I adjust the chute. Switched to a new Kubota with a front mount blower and never thought of using the tip. Did a bunch of reading on here and as a weekend project added an electric actuator. Now that I have it I adjust all the time so that wind doesn't blow snow in my face. I must be getting soft as I get older.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
I must be getting soft as I get older.
You are simply getting wiser in your old age.

If open stations were the answer we would all still be driving convertible cars in winter with no roofs, windows or heat. Guys who say “just put on another pair of mittens” probably clean snow only twice a year. I see no benefits to being cold, wet and miserable.

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
DeepWoods, Here's a few pics of my 12vdc linear actuator mounted on my snowblower chute deflector. The actuator has a 4 inch stroke and I believe was well under $50 on Ebay. A couple of homemade mounting brackets welded to the chute and it was put into operation. So far trouble free. Now that I have this on the blower I find that I use it frequently depending on wind direction. And if the outdoor cat decides to get too curious or close.....I can change its mind very quickly! :D

DSC05892_2.jpg

DSC05893_2.jpg

DSC05894_2.jpg

For a chute deflector it's an easy project. For hardly $50 its hard not to add it and have it for when you could use it. You just can't rotate the chute in a full circle because of the wiring to the actuator, but you'd never blow snow at your face anyway.....not intentionally.
David

DeepWoods

Equipment
Apr 10, 2019
Bigfork Minnesota
Apparently my dealers had the drive shaft, so I will be leaving tomorrow morning on a road trip to pick up my snow blower. It will be an all day excursion as my wife wants to do some shopping in Duluth. Once I get it home, I will take pictures of the assembly process and post them online for others to see. I have looked online for 12v actuators, and that may be an option once I see how it blows. Most of the time the wind is off the lake, and shouldn't pose any problems just leaving the chute deflection in one place.

I know I shouldn't say this, but I am almost looking forward to it snowing so I can play with my new toy. If it does, I will blame my wife as she was the one that wanted me to blow snow with a new tractor in a warm cab. Thank you sweetie.

Cfrazer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2670-1,FEL, BX5450, BBox, GS1548, RB1560, QH05, AI2 Forks, SS Curtis Cab
Jan 22, 2018
North Rose, NY, USA
I know I shouldn't say this, but I am almost looking forward to it snowing so I can play with my new toy. If it does, I will blame my wife as she was the one that wanted me to blow snow with a new tractor in a warm cab. Thank you sweetie.
I completely understand this - a couple years ago we had a few big storms drop a couple feet of snow and I was blowing snow for 4 hours straight - Loved every minute of it. I think my neighbor likes it when I get to his driveway before he does as well.

rjcorazza

Equipment
L4060 HSTC Loader, ZD326, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2016
Hyattstown, MD
I don't use my blower too often, but when I do I like the flexibility of having a chute deflector(hydraulic in my case). I clear a variety of driveways, some wide open, and some with constraints on where I can put the snow.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

DeepWoods

Equipment
Apr 10, 2019
Bigfork Minnesota
Got to the dealer this morning and he had everything ready to load. Couple minutes signing papers and a few more to load one large crate, a small crate and two boxes into my trailer, and we were done. Oh and I got me another one of those expensive FREE Kubota hats to sweeten the deal. ;). Had time this evening to read through all of the assembly instructions. I took a yellow highlighter to mark all of the instructions that apply to my specific installation so I don't put parts together that don't belong to my application. Looks like there are holes already on the chute deflector if I decide to install a linear actuator in the future. Based on the instructions and what my dealer told me I will be busy most of the day tomorrow putting things together. I hope to get some pictures posted in the near future on my assembly process and installation.

thebicman

Equipment
B2601 + BX2755HD + 50" box blade
Feb 2, 2017
Ottawa, ontario
If you need to build the blower sub frame don't do as I did and build it on a table. When fully assembled that thing is heavy. Amazing how now if I want to move it I use the Kubota with pallet forks as I did today in preparation for winter. Have fun.