Overcoming New Picture Limitations

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
MODERATOR NOTE..... no longer need to get around anything.... picture size has been increased to largest it has been in history of this board. The initial shrink to small size was a "mistook" that occurred during an upgrade.

------------------------------ back to opening post-------------------------

Is there a simple workaround to be able to post actual pictures? I just keep getting messages that the pictures are too large. I haven't changed anything, but these limitations apply to even older pictures.

Pictures keep people's interest. They also provide a tool for learning and teaching. If the forum limited the size of pictures because of a few posting extremely large pictures, isn't there something to limit those large pictures without restricting "normal" size pictures?

I find clicking on a link to see a picture, then close and repeat the process to see the next picture a backward step to attracting folks to the forum.

I beseech the owners to do something to allow pictures without hassles!

Last edited by a moderator:

rbargeron

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L5450, L48, L3250, L345 never enough attachments
Jul 6, 2015
western ma
Any chance of a secure server so bots can't hack passwords? (no idea if I'm using terms correctly) I get threatening email citing the password I only use for OTT. I'd change it but for the warning that pops up saying its not secure.

I'd hate to see compromising images of tractor parts being publicized:rolleyes:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Any chance of a secure server so bots can't hack passwords? (no idea if I'm using terms correctly) I get threatening email citing the password I only use for OTT. I'd change it but for the warning that pops up saying its not secure.

I'd hate to see compromising images of tractor parts being publicized:rolleyes:
I'm working on getting an answer on this! ;)

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
Test pictures
640 x 480:

800x600:

Max jpg size is 97.7KB. 800 x 600 will usually comply, but sometimes is too big because of colour depth or complexity.

For example, this 800 x 600 jpg is too big to be uploaded to OTT:

So why can you see it? Because it's hosted elsewhere and I just inserted the link into this post. :D

Attachments

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 27, 2014
And my understanding is when a picture is hosted somewhere else and posted here, at some point in time the hosting site changes the rules and folks coming to this site can not see the pictures. Therefore the continuity of the thread is lost. No so good later down the road.

torch

Equipment
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
And my understanding is when a picture is hosted somewhere else and posted here, at some point in time the hosting site changes the rules and folks coming to this site can not see the pictures. Therefore the continuity of the thread is lost. No so good later down the road.
True. But then there's an equal number of forums that were hacked, or the database crashed, or whatever happened and all the images were lost. I host my own so I'm not relying on others to maintain their systems properly. :D

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
True. But then there's an equal number of forums that were hacked, or the database crashed, or whatever happened and all the images were lost.....
actually that is an orange to apple orchard comparison so it is not relevant.

if a single forum goes down for whatever reason..... only pictures with in that forum are lost.... and that is actually rare cause back ups exist..... but a pic hosting site shutting down or going pay for play it is much much different..... pics that are lost; is lost goes across hundreds of boards and their is no back up. If you post on more than one bulletin board using a pic host site you loose EVERYTHING you have posted before.

sure you still have your own personal images and backups still..... but it would take year(s) to go thru all your past post and attach a copy of them back into each post.

coachgeo

Equipment
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
So why can you see it? Because it's hosted elsewhere and I just inserted the link into this post. :D
as another mentioned.... if you shrink it to 800x600 (or visa versa) 95% of the time your good to go. if that does not work then you need to reduce the quality of the image some. Todays phone camera's default settings are pretty high quality images. When you shoot something for here.... reduce the quality your shooting at so it wont be so large a file in the first place. Also know Jpg is the smallest footprint photo file still; Png is next closest if I recall right.

Reality... this is a very small board. It makes since that it is the case..... Kubota's in folks garages in the USA is what... 0.01% of the population?? and only another .005% of those folks are a member of any tractor board. It's not like Jeeps or Toyota's etc. So membership is just not logically very high. Thus, there is not enough paying membership and advertisers to afford making things better. It's a Fat ugly reality...... this is probably why it has not been upgraded or added more storage space on the paid for server. I don't want to put words into the owners mouth... but this is a logical assumption knowing our paid ratio of members. I suspect it barely covers it's own expense's that occur monthy as it is now.

If you want it better.. PAY UP and get all your Orange friends to join and pay up too.

Work around.....

> Post pics via the best way for archives.... (attach them at whatever size you can get this board to take)
> in ADDITION host them someplace so you can put them here larger and with higher quality.

example use tapatalk to host a larger higher quality version of the pic and let their software put img. link to here into your post as you write it up ..... BUTTT also upload a smaller or lower quality version of same image in here to maintain the archive for when tapatalk goes to pay for play (Im guessing another year; two, at the most) the pic will still exist in your post..... only the tapatalk will be gone. The one you attached here will still exist.

Last edited:

torch

Equipment
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
Thus, there is not enough paying membership and advertisers to afford making things better. It's a Fat ugly reality...... this is probably why it has not been upgraded or added more storage space on the paid for server.
I don't know what income the site owner derives from advertising, but bandwidth and storage are cheap. $100 per year can get you unlimited bandwidth and unlimited storage for multiple websites. If the management of OTT is paying much more than that, then maybe it's time to shop their hosting provider.

That said, I prefer 800 x 600 image size as the best balance of clarity vs available real estate on most screens.

sdk1968

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2601HSD & CK4010HST 4WD/FEL
Oct 19, 2016
Ohio
yeah its all about image size...

pictures host here just fine if you get them down within the parameters for the site.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 27, 2014
yeah its all about image size...

pictures host here just fine if you get them down within the parameters for the site.
Why is the exact same pictures posted before the outage are too big now? They were stored on my hard drive from my camera, but won't load now!

tiktock

Jun 27, 2018
Plaistow
I just host on Imgur or my personal website and link here. Not to offend OTT but I have faith a global entity like Imgur has a better chance at outliving a small forum like OTT so I take my chances that they might go down.

coachgeo

Equipment
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
I just host on Imgur or my personal website and link here. Not to offend OTT but I have faith a global entity like Imgur has a better chance at outliving a small forum like OTT so I take my chances that they might go down.
Your completely missing the point. its not about storage of photo's for you... it is about storage of photo's for others..... so when they search a topic... find a great thread on the topic..... the helpful post.... remain helpful because the pics posted in the post...... still exist. z

if this site goes down permanent... the pictures are irrelevant cause there is no discussion to search anway...

if this site goes down and is fixed via backup... all is good cause attached pics are backed up too..... buttttt... sometimes links to pictures get fubared with backups. Also have seen hundreds of times where a person re-arranges a few things in there imgur or other host site..... which throws all the URL's they ever posted to sites like this one off... leaving just a bad link error.... so we are back to attach them here is better.

as to Imgur..... how long it will last..... average about 7 years... they are going on ten years..... so they are due to go pay for play ONLY soon.. They are half way there already.

Last edited:

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Sounds like Photo Bucket. The one that got a hole in the bottom....:eek:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
OTT is actually older than Imgur. :p ;)

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 27, 2014
So is there an answer to posting pictures here? Do I need to make an adjustment to my camera settings to make a grainier picture so it will load?

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
they said that about photobucket :)

I also prefer self hosting from a proper hosting site, because if i need to pull a picture for whatever reason I can do that from my end rather than using the forum, or forums, where it may be. It is also easier to post an appropriately sized photo too (flikr makes it simple).

torch

Equipment
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
So is there an answer to posting pictures here? Do I need to make an adjustment to my camera settings to make a grainier picture so it will load?
Yes. Use your favourite image editor to crop, resize and/or reduce the quality of the image so you wind up with a .jpg that has a maximum size of 97.7KB.