Welding Wire

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Ray, mine was mounted on that bracket right next to the toolbox. I will see if I have a pic before the backhoe. I probably still have the factory bracket if you need it.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
I was about to travel maybe a half mile to help a neighbor when another neighbor warned me that the local sheriff deputy has a pet peeve about SMV signs being used, and was issuing tickets for non-compliance. I had signs, but no way to mount one with the backhoe attached, so I grabbed some 3/4" wide x 1/16 thk perforated strap I had laying around and in maybe 20 minutes made this mount. It uses existing bolts for attachment points, and was intended to be temporary, but that was several years ago. Guess it's permanent now.
And, amazingly, that deputy did follow me when I was returning from the job.

Attachments

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
I was about to travel maybe a half mile to help a neighbor when another neighbor warned me that the local sheriff deputy has a pet peeve about SMV signs being used, and was issuing tickets for non-compliance. I had signs, but no way to mount one with the backhoe attached, so I grabbed some 3/4" wide x 1/16 thk perforated strap I had laying around and in maybe 20 minutes made this mount. It uses existing bolts for attachment points, and was intended to be temporary, but that was several years ago. Guess it's permanent now.

And, amazingly, that deputy did follow me when I was returning from the job.

This is what came with the back hoe,just a bracket to slip the sign in thats hose clamped to the cylinder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
Thanks for the photos guys!

Sounds like the perfect solution. The bracket I have that came with my new sign is a removable type bracket and I'll just make me up a mount so I can hang it when I need it. Thanks for the offer FT.

Thanks for the link Len. Another example of our governmental agencies making us safer by making it THE LAW! Maybe they should require all tractors to be bright orange to "save the chid-ren." GRRRRRR!

:rolleyes:

Last edited:

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
Ran across this idea and it has joined my list of quickie projects that will prove handy in the future. I am going to fab up a couple using rebar, which should be heavy enough. I don't weld aluminum but I can arc stainless and like he said, magnets are not always the easiest to place, especially for small parts...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqz-AK1qF9o

I found a small ShopVac at a thrift store that had been used to vacuum up wet concrete creme. It was dirty as heck and was missing the roller base but it was small and the motor intake showed no signs of the concrete goo, so I grabbed it ($8) with an idea in mind: A small workbench wall-mount vac for right next to my machine bench that always gets massively dirty.

Before starting, I disassembled the motor to confirm it was not contaminated. Everything was clean as a whistle so I lubed the bearings and reassembled the motor assembly after cleaning all the outer bits.

I bought some 1/8" by 1 1/4" strap steel and had my local shop roll it for me into hoops. I welded those up using three squares and a lot of tape!

A little paint and it was ready to hang right over an open outlet. I found a nice 20' hose on Amazon that has a smooth interior and does not reduce flow much for the added length.

So, for about $50, I recycled a sad vacuum and hopefully contributed to a cleaner workbench. Wall vacs run over $200 new.

Now, I gotta get that workbench straightened up...

Attachments

dlsmith

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2230, LA211
Nov 15, 2018
Goshen, IN
Now, I gotta get that workbench straightened up...
Bench cleaning is a fruitless endeavor. Every time you clean it up, someone messes it up again with misc parts, bolts, steel scraps and grinder grit. That 12' bench eventually turns into a 4' bench and 8' of storage space.

Good job on the shop vac mount!

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Bench cleaning is a fruitless endeavor. Every time you clean it up, someone messes it up again with misc parts, bolts, steel scraps and grinder grit. That 12' bench eventually turns into a 4' bench and 8' of storage space.
Good job on the shop vac mount!
I solved that problem. Crowd so much equipment into your shop that there is no room for a bench. Messy bench problem solved. But now I have no work space- maybe not such a good idea now that I think about it. Never mind.

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
Two voices that speak of experience. I knew that when I built this new shop so I only had one work bench with the other actually a "platform" to hold smaller machines. Problem is, they all produce dust, chunkules, shavings, or spooge. Keeping clean between them is easier if you can do it regularly. That is my theory at least.

One revelation I have made is putting whatever you can on wheels. Makes it easier to move and use and it makes it much easier for the once a year cleaning day.

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
Speaking of welding rod... Wonder how many tons goes into a 1200 foot long ship assembled out of little pieces? All designed in a computer and manufactured out of that same series of files. Truly amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMryDexveco

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I do know I burned a lot of rod when I worked as a fitter for GW Industries in Cleveland, Ohio way back when, working on lakes boats. Welded hull plates all winter long. Kept those Lincoln Pipeliners humming along.

dlsmith

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2230, LA211
Nov 15, 2018
Goshen, IN
That's a big one, 168,000 metric tons (185,000 US tons). 343 meters long (1125 feet), and a 41.4 meter beam (135 feet).

I guessed the cost at $1 billion, was close at $940 million.

I was surprised that it was built entirely inside a huge building.