The little tractor that could.

artho45

Equipment
L2800
Sep 15, 2019
Ord, Nebraska, USA
I have a L2800. Tractor Data says the max lift for the 3pt at the pins is 1900+ lbs. This bale probably weighs 1600 lbs. But, obviously not all the weight is at the pins. My questions are: just because I can lift it should I? If it's too heavy, will it just not lift,.or will it hurt something? As long as can lift and drive, I still had good traction on the front tires, should I put weight on the bucket to offset the bale. FYI, I'll only move about 6 of these this winter. Next summer I'll have this bales in much smaller bales.
Tried to load picture from phone, and I couldn't. Picture just shows L2800 with large round bales on 3pt carrier.

hope to float

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450
Feb 18, 2018
Ireland
My feeling would be that if it can lift it you're fine. If it was too heavy for the tractor the pressure release would prevent the tractor from lifting it, thereby harming itself (if it hasn't been shimmed). Especially if you are only going to be doing it 6 or so times.
Just take it steady any time you are working near the tractors limits.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
I think you're fine as well...a full bucket of dirt or stone wouldn't hurt.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
No problem at all, the three point is the strongest and safest point for lifting anything heavy!

If anything, try and avoid any tire in a pothole type scenarios! ;)

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
As Wolfman said watch for potholes and be careful with any type of hill or slope as you are almost doubling the weight. But if it lifts it ships.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I was making reference to the front end lifting. If you get in a situation where the rear is too heavy, the front won't come up much. (The bale will be the buffer)

MapleLeafFarmer

Equipment
Lots incl. B and L kubotas
Dec 2, 2019
E.
I guess i am the only one going to disagree with everyone else ..... just cause you can pick it up doesn't mean you should.

A real life story.... This summer at my dealer there was a L3901 owner that tried to run a finishing mower a little too big. Yes the tractor was able to pull it, PTO had enough HP to turn it and arms were strong enough to lift it. BUT going down the road lifted, the operator hit a pot hole and the "bounce" loaded the 3 pt beyond just the mower weight and torn the tractor up... dealer said they were trying to figure out if repairing was going to cost more than the tractor was worth.

staying stationary may be ok but once you start to move you risk hitting a frozen cow-pie, gopher hole, pot hole or whatever causing load to bounce and creating a much greater load on the back end of your tractor than just the weight of the bale.

my two cents

captmikem

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2660 MX 4800 and a bunch of attachments.
Mar 16, 2017
SW Washington State.
Have to throw this photo in.
My Mx 4800. This is a solid Doug Fir stump, full of dirt.

All she would do to lift it, and no higher. I have no idea what it weighs, but as you will notice, not much weight on the back tires.

M

Attachments