BX2230 3 point lift capacity

gssz

Equipment
BX2230
Oct 27, 2019
Houston, TX, USA
I am about to buy a medium duty 5 ft box scraper to use with my BX2230, that I will continue using with a bigger tractor in the future. The new box scraper will be about 510 lbs and according to the specs the rear PTO can lift 680 lbs.

I would be using the box scraper to spread some crushed rock on a driveway.

I know the 510 lbs is within the specs but I wonder if I would be pushing it too hard by using the 510 lb blade for a few hours on the BX. The dealer is recommending a light duty box scraper that is under 400 lbs, but I'd rather get something I want to keep for the long term.

Thanks!

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
Re: BX2230 PTO lift capacity

With a box blade the weight is your friend. I would not be afraid to use the 510 pounds with the BX. In fact the lighter weight one would, I think, bounce or skip easier and the intermediate pull and release would be harder on the linkage. When and if you get a bigger tractor you can add some weights to the blade so it will work well on that tractor also.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
The 510lb will be fine, your not going to hurt the 3 point hitch or the tractor.

FYI: It's not PTO lift it three point lift, PTO is the spinning shaft in the middle of the three point, Power Take Off

I changed the thread title to correct that.

Last edited:

gssz

Equipment
BX2230
Oct 27, 2019
Houston, TX, USA
Re: BX2230 PTO lift capacity

With a box blade the weight is your friend. I would not be afraid to use the 510 pounds with the BX. In fact the lighter weight one would, I think, bounce or skip easier and the intermediate pull and release would be harder on the linkage. When and if you get a bigger tractor you can add some weights to the blade so it will work well on that tractor also.
I appreciate it - will go for the Modern AG scraper then. It is galvanized and made in our general neighborhood (Beaumont TX).

Tornado

May 7, 2019
usa
Tractor will likely lift it fine if its within the weight limit spec. The main thing to consider when buying a ground engaging implement is wether the tractor will be able to actually pull it once you drop it to the ground. This is often more about the weight of the tractor rather than the power. The BX2230 weights just 1290 lbs. The box blade weights 510 lbs. you say. If there is to be any issue, it will be here I would think, not in lifting it. Im assuming when you say box scraper youre talking about a box blade. If you get in dirt with it and have the scarifiers down some, you may run into problems pulling it - tires will start to spin. In other applications where there is less resistance It may be fine.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Tractor will likely lift it fine if its within the weight limit spec. The main thing to consider when buying a ground engaging implement is wether the tractor will be able to actually pull it once you drop it to the ground. This is often more about the weight of the tractor rather than the power. The BX2230 weights just 1290 lbs. The box blade weights 510 lbs. you say. If there is to be any issue, it will be here I would think, not in lifting it. Im assuming when you say box scraper youre talking about a box blade. If you get in dirt with it and have the scarifiers down some, you may run into problems pulling it - tires will start to spin. In other applications where there is less resistance It may be fine.
This ^^^

Does your BX have a loader? I have a loader on my B2910, a 60" box blade, rear blade and 72" landscape rake. When spreading stone I always choose to use the loader to spread the stone by slowly tilting the bucket full of stone, as I am moving forward. Then after getting all the stone down I run the landscape rake backwards to spread it more evenly.

A box blade could be used I guess, but would not be my first choice for spreading crushed stone. Experience has taught me that I can use a landscape rake on my BX2200 on the level or downhill. Up hill does not work well as it often runs out of traction. This leads me to believe I would not enjoy using the 60" box blade on the back of my BX. Of course, I have the option of using the larger tractor...

As mentioned above, the BX has power but loses traction well before power becomes an issue. Important to keep this in mind so you are not disappointed after buying an implement.

Edit: Gage wheels on the landscaper are a very useful addition. I adapted mine to work on either my rake or rear blade.

Last edited:

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
My BB is my favorite. :)

Following Tornado's points:

I've always considered a 48" BB the perfect size for a BX. I might go to 54", but 60" is more than I'd get for one. I understand you're looking ahead to a larger machine.

You'll have to learn the affect the top link length has on the box blade's "aspect" for digging versus smoothing real quick. Otherwise, your tractor isn't going to pull it.

I can pull a 300+ pound 48" BB without a loader if just smoothing/pulling (long top link) pretty easy, and it'll pull a full box of driveway stone, crusher run, or stone dust.

If I shorten that top link to dig in/be more aggressive, it can be more than the tractor can take even with the FEL on.

Don't plan on engaging the scarifiers much, unless the material is real soft.

I guess my point is it might drag it around and do some good, but don't expect the same result you would get with a properly sized BB, or properly sized tractor for the 5-footer.....

Last edited: