Strange Hydraulic probem

Grandad35

Equipment
BX2230
Dec 10, 2019
Topsfield, Ma
I have a strange hydraulic problem on a 13 year old BX2230 with 660 hours. I recently changed the engine and hydraulic oil and filters – it that has any bearing on the problem. The FEL still works properly after the oil change (with normal speed and lifting capacity), but the hydraulic raise/lower for the snow blower no longer works (it worked properly this spring when it was removed). The hydraulic hoses are connected to the yellow and black connections on the photo (just like it has been for the last 13 years). I even tried connecting the blower raise/lower hoses to the 2 bottom ports that curl the bucket, but still had the same problem.

I traced the problem to the black “raise” port acting like it is dead-headed in both flow directions at the valve. Removing both male quick-connects from the valve gives oil flow from the yellow port when the control lever is pushed forward, but no flow from the black port when the control lever is pulled back. I have already replaced both quick connect pairs and run every test that I can think of. I can get the cylinder to work by connecting the yellow port to either the yellow or black hose and inserting a spare male quick disconnect into the female connector on the other hose and catching the return oil in a jar, so the cylinder isn't involved.

I can understand that I may have a valve problem, but then how does the FEL continue to operate properly? As I was posting this, I noticed that the raise/lower spool is slightly rotated in the valve – could that be involved? What am I missing?

Kubota_Hydraulics_121019_02.jpg

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
It's working fine...well for the loader, it's called regen or fast dump, no flow is needed.

The issue with why it's not working with the blower is your probably not moving the control far enough past the first detent, or there is a problem with the detent section of the valve.

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
I have a strange hydraulic problem on a 13 year old BX2230 with 660 hours. I recently changed the engine and hydraulic oil and filters ***8211; it that has any bearing on the problem. The FEL still works properly after the oil change (with normal speed and lifting capacity), but the hydraulic raise/lower for the snow blower no longer works (it worked properly this spring when it was removed). The hydraulic hoses are connected to the yellow and black connections on the photo (just like it has been for the last 13 years). I even tried connecting the blower raise/lower hoses to the 2 bottom ports that curl the bucket, but still had the same problem.

I traced the problem to the black ***8220;raise***8221; port acting like it is dead-headed in both flow directions at the valve. Removing both male quick-connects from the valve gives oil flow from the yellow port when the control lever is pushed forward, but no flow from the black port when the control lever is pulled back. I have already replaced both quick connect pairs and run every test that I can think of. I can get the cylinder to work by connecting the yellow port to either the yellow or black hose and inserting a spare male quick disconnect into the female connector on the other hose and catching the return oil in a jar, so the cylinder isn't involved.

I can understand that I may have a valve problem, but then how does the FEL continue to operate properly? As I was posting this, I noticed that the raise/lower spool is slightly rotated in the valve ***8211; could that be involved? What am I missing?

View attachment 46193
Usually on Kubota loaders red and black are one pair and yellow and white the other pair. Looking closely at the casting in the picture it looks like yellow and white correspond with A1 spool and red and black correspond with A2 spool. Looking at the linkage it looks like A1 is the boom spool and A2 is the bucket spool. If this is all true then your blower lift hoses should be connected to the yellow and white fittings. Try it that way and see what happens!

Last edited:

Grandad35

Equipment
BX2230
Dec 10, 2019
Topsfield, Ma
Usually on Kubota loaders red and black are one pair and yellow and white the other pair. Looking closely at the casting in the picture it looks like yellow and white correspond with A1 spool and red and black correspond with A2 spool. Looking at the linkage it looks like A1 is the boom spool and A2 is the bucket spool. If this is all true then your blower lift hoses should be connected to the yellow and white fittings. Try it that way and see what happens!
Boy, do I feel stupid!!! That was the problem. My blower lift (bought with the tractor) came without color coded caps, but I could swear that I have been connecting it to the top 2 ports for the past 13 years. I did look at my manuals to see if they gave the proper connections, but they were no help. Obviously, my memory isn't to be trusted. I will install the proper colored caps on the blower hoses to prevent this problem in the future.

Thanks again.

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
Boy, do I feel stupid!!! That was the problem. My blower lift (bought with the tractor) came without color coded caps, but I could swear that I have been connecting it to the top 2 ports for the past 13 years. I did look at my manuals to see if they gave the proper connections, but they were no help. Obviously, my memory isn't to be trusted. I will install the proper colored caps on the blower hoses to prevent this problem in the future.

Thanks again.
Easy, easy mistake to make! It just seems logical that the hoses would connect to adjacent connectors. Don't beat yourself up! You are far from the first person to get these mixed up.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Easy, easy mistake to make! It just seems logical that the hoses would connect to adjacent connectors. Don't beat yourself up! You are far from the first person to get these mixed up.
Eserv again for the save! ;)