New member, almost owner.Pricing question.

sjpr13

Dec 8, 2019
Corbett Oregon
Thanks for the add. I'm about to spring on a bx1870 in great shape. 7K. Is it worth putting the 7K down and getting the 1880. I guess what I'm asking is it worth the extra 6K to get a new one. The one I'm looking at is in very good condition 300 hours. Thoughts?

Last edited:

shootem604

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L245DT with Kubota (Arps Model 22) FEL and Kubota B/L4520B (Woods 650) BH
Apr 23, 2018
British Columbia
Thanks for the add. I'm about to spring on a bx1870 in great shape. 7K. Is it worth putting the 7K down and getting the 1880. I guess what I'm asking is it worth the extra 6K to get a new one. The one I'm looking at is in very good condition 300 hours. Thoughts?
That sounds like a good deal, and 300hours isn't much. It really depends on what you want - new tractors can come with low/no interest, warranty, and KTAC, which might make it worth it if it is a business expense. If this is an 'around the house/yard hobby tractor" for you, a buck is a buck, so pull the trigger.

JackJ

Equipment
BX1870-1
Mar 14, 2016
Indiana
I agree it sounds like a good price. Does it come with a loader? Mower deck? Those would both be expensive to add, but if they're included in that deal, I'd jump on it, assuming it's been well maintained.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Assuming everything is straight-and-right, I wouldn't sell a BX1870 w/ FEL for $7k, but I'd sure buy one for that.....:)

Tornado

May 7, 2019
usa
I would want to look it over very thoroughly. You never know what someone did or didnt do on equipment. It can look brand new on the outside but have been poorly maintained. I would look the tractor overy throghly for any bends, cracks, paint scrapes - looking for signs something - anything - could have happened. I would want to crank it up and listen to it, operate every lever and make sure everything works as it should. I would even pull the dipstick and check the oil, check all fluids, etc. If someone has maintained it properly and is wanting to sell it to you, they shouldnt mind you doing this thorough look over. Ive heard lots of stories of a deal like this happening then a week later the person who buys it realizes why the deal was as good as it was - and its rarely something good.

Oliver

Equipment
L2501, JD 3520
Feb 2, 2011
Preston County, WV
Good suggestions from Toronado. You can get a pretty good feel how it was maintained by just talking with the owner. Make sure the tractor and loader manuals are included and hopefully written maintenance records. If you plan on mowing with it you may want to price a new deck now just so you know.

RyanG

Equipment
2019 Kubota BX2380, 60"mmm, FEL. 2018 JD X390, 54"mmm (for sale)
Sep 17, 2019
Fleetwood
Sounds like a pretty good deal. Just remember though, they new 80 series has many many changes. Like the FEL stick position, quick remove coupler, skid steer attach option for the loader, new style loader stands etc. Might be worth just taking a look and comparing the two a bit more. Although for the price that would be a pretty good option even if you liked the 80 series a little more.