Trailer weight

Billstr

Equipment
Kx033-4g
Oct 20, 2018
North Sydney
I’m using 70 grade 3150lbs chains and ratchet binders at each corner. According to law under 10000lbs (heavy equipment, wheels and tracks) in Nova Scotia you need at least two tie downs and each tie down must be 50% of the load. With two tie downs in front 6300lbs and two in back 6300lbs I’m meeting the 80% braking motion rule and when pulling away I’m meeting the 50% rule, also meeting side shifting resistance rule (Canada Transport rules) Any thoughts?

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
I’m using 70 grade 3150lbs chains and ratchet binders at each corner. According to law under 10000lbs (heavy equipment, wheels and tracks) in Nova Scotia you need at least two tie downs and each tie down must be 50% of the load. With two tie downs in front 6300lbs and two in back 6300lbs I’m meeting the 80% braking motion rule and when pulling away I’m meeting the 50% rule, also meeting side shifting resistance rule (Canada Transport rules) Any thoughts?
In the US you must also chain down the boom of the ex.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Well I'm still waiting for the Ontario guv to send me the RULES and LAWS regarding 'light ' trailer towing and construction. 'light' means NOT semi or bigrig trailers...THAT I found, but utility trailers, homebuilts, dumps, etc.
The 'driver's handbook' ,what you read 5 minutes befor eyour test, say any trailer over 2990# needs brakes yet no where in the HTA is that to be found. Same goes for tires. NO law (HTA) that says you MUST have ST trailer tires on trailers.
sigh...I've heard you need ALL buckets chained down but,again, nowhere in the HTA rules( at least online).

Billstr

Equipment
Kx033-4g
Oct 20, 2018
North Sydney
I do strap my bucket with a ratchet strap. My trailer has brakes on both axles. I drove a little one day and quickly noticed the trailer brakes were not engaging, the trailer wired connection wasn’t seated properly. There is a very noticeable difference without the brake, I would NOT risk driving without trailer brakes period.

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
Wow - long thread.

My take-away from the comments,

If your pickup isn't rated to tow 4 times your expected load, buy a semi. Manufacturers (except Kubota) have no idea what they are talking about when it comes to load and limits! Just don't trust what they say (except Kubota).

If your trailer can't handle 4 times the expected load, buy a bigger trailer until it does. If it no longer fits on your tiny truck, see #1.

Nobody wants to hear about how you got the tractor to fit in the garage. Build a bigger garage dammit! If the man sized garage looks funny now next to your house, build a bigger house - really people, this stuff is easy.

If you don't have 20 years towing experience - do not tow anything!

That should keep you safe.

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
The 'driver's handbook' ,what you read 5 minutes befor eyour test, say any trailer over 2990# needs brakes yet no where in the HTA is that to be found.
Yes it is:
64(5) Every trailer or semi-trailer having a gross weight of 1,360 kilograms or more shall be equipped with brakes adequate to stop and to hold the vehicle. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 64 (5).

As for tires, they come under Regulation 625:

7. (1) No person shall operate on a highway a motor vehicle, trailer, device or apparatus equipped with tires that,

(a) bear the words “not for highway use”, “farm use only” or “competition circuit use only”;

(b) bear the letters “SL”, “NHS” or “TG” after the tire designation;

(c) bear any other wording or lettering indicating that the tire was not designed for highway use; or

(d) were not manufactured to comply with the standards prescribed under the Motor Vehicle Tire Safety Act (Canada) and the regulations made thereunder as they existed on the 28th day of February, 1985. R.R.O. 1990, Reg. 625, s. 7 (1).

The MVTSA restricts the use of LT tires to trailers, but does not require them on trailers:

"ST tire***8194;means a tire designed for use only on trailers drawn on a road.***8194;(pneu à usage spécial)"

(Note: I am not a lawyer and the above should not be taken as legal advice. It is just my 2¢ and worth every penny)

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Hay Torch
Thanks....
I downloaded the HTA and yes, 64(5) does mention brakes... the tire reg confirms you do NOT need ST ( trailer ) tires on a trailer.
What I've never found, maybe you can, is the complete reuirements for a 'small' trailer safety ? I've looked online and nowhere in the guv site can I find that. I KNOW a safety is NOT required for either single or tandem axle trailers.

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
The number of axles is irrelevant. Trailer safety inspections are covered under Regulation 611. Basically, trailer maintenance must meet the applicable sections of National Safety Code 11B. There is an Ontario exemption for personal use where the truck and trailer have a GVRW less than 6500 lbs combined gross weight.

Basically, if you have a CVOR and/or are towing with a vehicle that requires a CVOR, then your trailer requires an annual safety inspection and yellow sticker, same as the truck.

Commercially manufactured trailers of any size must meet the Canadian Motor Vehicle Safety Standards. If you bought the trailer from a dealer, it should have a Canada Safety Mark sticker (technically only required for inter-provincial sales).

If you are registering a home-built trailer for personal use, you do not need to have a safety inspection. However, if it weighs more than 900kg, you have to provide a weight slip. The ministry does not clarify how you are supposed to get the trailer to the weigh station before the trailer is registered and plated, but that's government for you...

shootem604

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L245DT with Kubota (Arps Model 22) FEL and Kubota B/L4520B (Woods 650) BH
Apr 23, 2018
British Columbia
In BC, 1440kg is the cutoff for utility trailers. And now they are talking about requiring safety inspections and assigned VINs for u-built utility trailers. Anything over needs the "large plate", although there are exemptions for RVs, and personally owned/used larger trailers - they just make it very difficult. The problem is, folks get the large plate for less hassle without realizing that for insurance purposes the large trailer weight is insured on your GVW, not desperately, and massively increases your vehicle weight class and insurance bill. You need to push - a lot - to get the "small trailer plate" for non-commercial larger trailers...

F&%^&*^ ICBC

Anyways, over 1440kg you need brakes on all axles. Don't go over 4600kg or you need the heavy trailer test and endorsement (although I do think this is a great idea for anything over 1440kg, especially RVs.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
Here, in Ontario, MFRS and sellers of trailers have all the small ones listed as 1339KG or 2990# so THEY don't have to make them WITH brakes even though axles/springs/tires rated for '3500#'. They also install 4 pin wiring though I figured a way to have controllable backup lights, work lights and brakes using just the regular 4 pin setup.