New front tires

artho45

Equipment
L2800
Sep 15, 2019
Ord, Nebraska, USA
I need a pair of new front tires for my Kubota L2800 4wd tractor. the tires on it were 30 X 9 X 15. after some discussion with my tire guy, we think that these were not the correct size. According to tractor data, the tires should be 27 X 8.5 X 15. He said if we put the size that was on there back on, it could damage the transfer case, because the ratio would be wrong. We have ordered the correct size, but my question is has damaged occurred to the drive train due to improper size tires?
BTW, I bought this tractor in July, and it is a 2006. I have no idea how long these tires have been on. They are more of a truck tire type, and the new ones I have ordered are more like the rear tires, but obviously smaller.

Thanks

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
There is no easy way to check the drive train for damage short of tearing down the tractor. The specifications in the owners' manual should tell what size tires the tractor requires. Incidentally, front tires on a four wheel drive tractor normally look like the rear tires, just smaller.

artho45

Equipment
L2800
Sep 15, 2019
Ord, Nebraska, USA
Thanks for the link, I will download the manual. So, I have the industrial rear tires (15-19.5) but someone put 30-9.5-15 tires on the front. They are obviously larger then what was recommended. I'll put the right size back on. I guess they, and now me, was just lucky that no problems showed up with the front drive.
Art