New 2380 that needs first greasing since dealership

bomack

Equipment
2019 BX2380, 60" mmm, 344s, rtr1250 & bb1248.
Jan 3, 2020
Winnipeg
First post! New tractor owner and honestly new to the country life. Loving it!

My new 2380 has just over 10 hours and it's time to grease the LA344S. I went to pick up some grease and wanted to move to synthetic type but got nervous as I didn't know what the dealer put in and if it was compatible.

I contacted my dealer and they sent me pictures of what they use. It ends up being Mobil Delvac Xtreme Grease

I can't locally find it and they're a 60km drive. I could make an excuse to see them but it's honestly out of my way for a few weeks. Snow is coming this weekend and I want to be prepared.

The grease they use says it's only good to -20C when you look at the property sheets. Our weather here can go to -30C if not colder which is about -22F. Perhaps I am reading too much into it and shouldn't let that bother me but I am looking for advice.

Our summers can get up to +35C ( 95F). I was thinking to use Lucas X-tra Heavy Duty Grease but I am always open for options. My biggest concern is it okay to switch greases or is there something I am missing? Should I make the move to synthetic? I have done some reading on this forum and it looks like it may not really be worth it for a residential use case like I am in. If I need to wait to keep using the same grease I can do that but wouldn't mind moving to the Locas product.

ps I can't post links until I have five posts!

Thanks

Rcflyer330

Equipment
Kubota B2650 Cab, B2779 Broom, B2782B Snowblower, RB1672 rear blade
Oct 14, 2019
Traverse City, Michigan
If you wanted to you can spend days researching oils and greases. The link is a chart of the base soaps used in greases and their compatibility with each other.

Usually the grease manufacture will tell you what type of base soap the grease is, if not you may have to look into the safety data sheet.

For switching brands or to synthetic that's up to you. On my tractor I switched to a bio based synthetic grease (i had 4 tubes on hand) and made sure it was compatible with the stock grease.

The application temperatures I don't know enough about to help you there.

Just a little side note the kubota high performance polyurea grease is the type that is compatible with other greases.

https://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/29337/understanding-grease-compatibility

Hope that helps.

propuckstopper

Equipment
GR2010, BX2380
Jan 10, 2018
Canada
First post! New tractor owner and honestly new to the country life. Loving it!

My new 2380 has just over 10 hours and it's time to grease the LA344S. I went to pick up some grease and wanted to move to synthetic type but got nervous as I didn't know what the dealer put in and if it was compatible.

I contacted my dealer and they sent me pictures of what they use. It ends up being Mobil Delvac Xtreme Grease

I can't locally find it and they're a 60km drive. I could make an excuse to see them but it's honestly out of my way for a few weeks. Snow is coming this weekend and I want to be prepared.

The grease they use says it's only good to -20C when you look at the property sheets. Our weather here can go to -30C if not colder which is about -22F. Perhaps I am reading too much into it and shouldn't let that bother me but I am looking for advice.

Our summers can get up to +35C ( 95F). I was thinking to use Lucas X-tra Heavy Duty Grease but I am always open for options. My biggest concern is it okay to switch greases or is there something I am missing? Should I make the move to synthetic? I have done some reading on this forum and it looks like it may not really be worth it for a residential use case like I am in. If I need to wait to keep using the same grease I can do that but wouldn't mind moving to the Locas product.

ps I can't post links until I have five posts!

Thanks
Hi bomack. Fellow Manitoban here with the same 2380. I have been using Mystik JT-6 Red grease which is readily available at Canadian tire. This grease is very highly rated over at bobistheoilguy.com and I have never had any issues using it in anything from the tractor to my summer toys.

It is a lithium based grease so it should be compatible with what your dealer used.

Cheers!

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
It is okay to switch grease as long as you use a compatible grease. The Mobil Delvac Xtreme is a lithium base grease(according to the internet) so just research compatibility with lithium grease for the synthetic you want to use.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
For a loader, I don't think it would make much difference if you didn't have exactly the right grease for a few changes as long as there is lots of it. When I first got my L3560 I asked my dealer what kind of grease to use and his answer was the opposite end of the spectrum " grease is grease" . Somewhere in between is probably the most sensible.

shiraz627

Equipment
BX23S Piranha toothbar, Underarmor, PFL1242 pallet forks, BXpanded thumb, ripper
Aug 1, 2018
Kingsland. GA
All your greasing are pins, don't make a big deal about it. Right now I'm using Lucas red and tacky.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
For the time-being greasing the loader, I’m with Shiraz; anything is better than nothing.
I use Lucas Red ‘n Tacky also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bmbbm

Equipment
Bx2370 land pride box blade 60"mmm kubota fel
May 29, 2016
Chillicothe mo
All your greasing are pins, don't make a big deal about it. Right now I'm using Lucas red and tacky.
I second Lucas red and tacky. It's readily available and seems to work good. I like the red color because it's easy to see when it oozes out the joints.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I just checked my inventory and I have a couple of the Mystik JT 6 also.

200mph

Equipment
L4740-3 Cab, FEL, Fnt Snow Blower L2185, LP Finish Mower, LP Rotary Mower
Mar 3, 2017
PA
Why not use a grease containing 3% (or more) molybdenum disulfide if just greasing pins?

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
200 - not being a smart aleck, but moly is better for this type of thing?

When I thought I understood grease, I realized a while ago I didn’t....[emoji15]. I’m always willing to learn.

Honestly I’ve just been using the “red” ones a while. Try to keep just one flavor in the guns. Like I said before, anything is better than nothing, and for my little tractor it’s not heavy duty work.

Kubota BX 1860

Equipment
BX 1860, oops, traded it for a BX2370
Jun 23, 2011
Raymond, ME
Grease is like oil, it doesn't really matter what you use as long as you do it. It's not anything to get stressed out about. Best of luck with your new tractor, they're lots of fun.

200mph

Equipment
L4740-3 Cab, FEL, Fnt Snow Blower L2185, LP Finish Mower, LP Rotary Mower
Mar 3, 2017
PA
Moly is typically used with high contact force with metal on metal allowing a bit more protection. Typically not recommend for roller bearings though, thus I have two grease guns. One for roller bearings, u-joints,etc. and one for the pins, tie-rods and ball joints.

beex

May 21, 2019
on my bx
IMO if you loader pins doesn’t matter what you use, just needs to be done, french fry grease will work, MMM spindles are spinning fast probably needs something better, but i think if you do the MMM frequently, doesn’t matter much either, I do my MMM every 5 hrs. I not an expert, but never had a problem either.

propuckstopper

Equipment
GR2010, BX2380
Jan 10, 2018
Canada
IMO if you loader pins doesn***8217;t matter what you use, just needs to be done, french fry grease will work, MMM spindles are spinning fast probably needs something better, but i think if you do the MMM frequently, doesn***8217;t matter much either, I do my MMM every 5 hrs. I not an expert, but never had a problem either.

That's why I like the Mystik JT-6 high temperature red grease. It seems to stay put pretty well in the loader pins, although a moly grease _might_ be better for pins. However, this Mystik grease is also great for wheel bearings and mower spindle bearings, so I am able to buy one grease and use it for everything from my cars to my tractors.

Best of all, it is pretty reasonably priced and readily available. I used to use Amsoil grease, which was good as well, but I always had to order it.

The Mystik is cheaper and found on Canadian Tire shelves every day, so it is kind of a no brainer for me.

When I used to travel to Grand Forks, North Dakota more often, I used to buy it for just over three bucks a tube at Wal-Mart. Not sure if the U.S. Wal-Marts still carry Mystik products or not. I am pretty sure Tractor Supply has it, but I recall Wal-Mart being cheaper in North Dakota.

Last edited: