Shear Pin Removal Issue

ChuchVT

Dec 29, 2016
Johnson
A shear pin snapped on my 50" front mount snow blower for my BX. I've changed many pins over the years but this time the hole for the shear pin is offset just enough so I can drive it out.

The auger slides back and forth on the shaft but not enough for it to line up to drive it out.

I'd prefer not to have to disassemble the auger. Any thoughts on how to get the pin out?

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
It may be that you have to rotate the auger 180 degrees relative to the inner shaft to get the holes to align.

They aligned at one time for the shear bolt to go in.

Dave

vic gerbasi

Equipment
M110 L3300
Feb 19, 2016
dugald mb canada
keep trying have a small hammer and smaller size pin and hammer it out i now use no bolts but pto pins available from princess auto or any farm equipment supply store

200mph

Equipment
L4740-3 Cab, FEL, Fnt Snow Blower L2185, LP Finish Mower, LP Rotary Mower
Mar 3, 2017
PA
I've tried it in both directions.
Just to be clear...

Dave's advice was to rotate the auger on the shaft 180 degrees (shaft held stationary) thus changing the orientation. Sometimes changing the shaft's hole alignment with the auger's hole is enough to get the pin out.

This is different than simply trying to drive the pin out from either side.

ChuchVT

Dec 29, 2016
Johnson
Yes, I understood what he meant. I've tried that and it didn't work.

Just to be clear...

Dave's advice was to rotate the auger on the shaft 180 degrees (shaft held stationary) thus changing the orientation. Sometimes changing the shaft's hole alignment with the auger's hole is enough to get the pin out.

This is different than simply trying to drive the pin out from either side.

Cfrazer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2670-1,FEL, BX5450, BBox, GS1548, RB1560, QH05, AI2 Forks, SS Curtis Cab
Jan 22, 2018
North Rose, NY, USA
Sounds like same thing happened to me the first year I got my tractor. I was able to use a smaller diameter punch to get it out. Since then I use anti seize on the shaft of the shear bolts, not sure it helps but hasn’t happened since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I can't see the images - - says URL not found on this server.

What model # is the blower?

Dwarner

Equipment
B7610 HST, Woods 6500
Aug 3, 2012
Enfield, CT
I had a similar problem with a customers snowblower. I was able to rotate the broken pin about 90 degrees and hit the punch pretty hard to force it out.

jss81258

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2019
Bay City, TX
I've found the proper sized punch and large hammer generally will get the old pin out. Obviously, care should be taken on smaller sized shafts.

Sometimes, the pin will deform prior to shearing so that the deformity sticks the pin in the hole.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
From looking at the photos the third and forth are the closest to alignment to start from.

You will probably end up taking the outer shaft off and the getting the pin out of the inner shaft.

I assume that you can move the outer shaft axially on the inner shaft already but if not then you will have to fight the pin out.

You may want to see if you can get the pin to move at all or see if it is frozen in place by rust. I guess you can just start soaking it in your favorite penetrating oil (Kroil, PB Blaster...) and bypass trying to see if it is loose at all.

Trying to drill it out would be my last resort so I don’t recommend that you think about that yet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I have had this happen in the past, and just yesterday, it happened to me again. My solution, while some might think that it is unconventional, is to whack the side of the snow blower where the shaft is, and try again to see if it is in alignment. Yesterday, it was particularly way off, almost to the point that I could barely see one edge of where the broken shear pin was. I then whacked the other side, and checked again, and low and behold, everything was back in alignment.
It is my theory, and not supported by any scientific evidence, that the brass gear on the auger shaft will move one way or the other when you encounter something that breaks the shear pin. I know that this gear is a press fit on the auger shaft, and it is only an "interference" fit. By whacking the end of the auger shaft, the brass gear realigns itself, and allows you to install a new shear pin. I keep my augers well lubricated by pumping grease into them at the beginning of the season, and both the augers and shear pins are well lubricated. I also keep two 1/2" wrenches, a non tapered drift pin, small ball peen hammer, and a bunch of shear pins in my tractor during snow season. That way, I can change them as soon as I noticed that they have broken. I am thinking that I am going to add the heavy dead blow hammer to my traveling arsenal of tools, to keep trips back to the garage to a minimum. I must break at least 5 or 6 shear pins a season. This year I am averaging 1 per storm!

ChuchVT

Dec 29, 2016
Johnson
I ended up bringing it to my dealer and they ended up drilling it out. Sooo, I've invested in some metal drill bits but I think I will try the hammer idea if it happens again.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Did they drill out the broken shear pin or did they drill you a new hole in the auger and shaft? I don't understand how they would need to drill out the old pin, since once located, they are easily knocked out by a thin drift pin and a hammer. I have a straight pin and a 16 ounce ball peen hammer that I use for this, and never have problems, unless the shaft moves as I previously described.

ChuchVT

Dec 29, 2016
Johnson
They drilled the old pin out. If you look at the photos in this thread you will see the shaft and auger holes are offset and the pin could NOT be tapped out.

Did they drill out the broken shear pin or did they drill you a new hole in the auger and shaft? I don't understand how they would need to drill out the old pin, since once located, they are easily knocked out by a thin drift pin and a hammer. I have a straight pin and a 16 ounce ball peen hammer that I use for this, and never have problems, unless the shaft moves as I previously described.