Ansung YJR Tiller burns on first run

Newbie farmer

Equipment
M5-091, baler, disc mower, ZD1011, rtv
Oct 28, 2016
Brenham, Texas
Ansung YJR 90 Tiller burns on first run

Two days ago I bought YJR 90 tiller for my M5-091 Kubota tractor from my Kubota dealer. Today I attached the tiller to make a garden patch. The gear box started smoking and I think I Even saw a small flame also. I stopped using it and noticed a big burn mark near the gearbox. The salesman recommended it and assured me that it was a reliable product. I need your advice on if I can return it and get my money back. Thanks.

Last edited:

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
I believe any reputable dealer would stand behind what he sells. I do not know if that tiller was sold as new or used. If it was new the dealer probably will stand behind it. He may not be anxious to refund the purchase price but at the very least should handle a warranty repair. If the dealer was selling it on consignment for someone else You could have a problem getting satisfaction. In a case like that the item did not really belong to the dealer.

Last edited:

Newbie farmer

Equipment
M5-091, baler, disc mower, ZD1011, rtv
Oct 28, 2016
Brenham, Texas
It is a brand new YJR90 tiller, ordered, assembled and delivered by the Kubota dealer I do business with. Hope they stand by it if I ask for refund.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I'd return and either get money back or another one that they SHOW you being used on their property. A pro shop WILL make you happy. If they don't, email the prez of Kubota....
I'm thinking there was very little oil, if any, in the gearbox. Of course YOU are supposed to check that and grease the Zerks before using it.......
I KNOW that trailer axles and 'stubs' only have a wee bit of grease in them from the factory. Just enough to spin and preload the bearings NOT enough to go down the road !

Jay

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
I'd return and either get money back or another one that they SHOW you being used on their property. A pro shop WILL make you happy. If they don't, email the prez of Kubota....
I'm thinking there was very little oil, if any, in the gearbox. Of course YOU are supposed to check that and grease the Zerks before using it.......
I KNOW that trailer axles and 'stubs' only have a wee bit of grease in them from the factory. Just enough to spin and preload the bearings NOT enough to go down the road !

Jay
Agreed.

Sounds like the manufacturer did not fill it and neither the OP nor the dealer checked it.

SDT

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Wonder why a Kubota dealer sold you an Ansung tiller and not a Landpride tiller?

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re: Wonder why a Kubota dealer sold you an Ansung tiller and not a Landpride tiller?

profit margin and/or clearing out 'dead stock'.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
They owe you a new tiller.
I agree.

That said, I would not be surprised if the dealer pointed to a paragraph in the owner's manual where it stated to check gearbox oil before each use.

SDT

melvinhatcher

Equipment
L3301HST, LA525FEL, 66" QA BUCKET, L8455CRUISE CONTROL KIT, WR LONG 3RD FUNCITIO
Feb 16, 2016
Edgewood Maryland
Re: Ansung YJR 90 Tiller burns on first run

Two days ago I bought YJR 90 tiller for my M5-091 Kubota tractor from my Kubota dealer. Today I attached the tiller to make a garden patch. The gear box started smoking and I think I Even saw a small flame also. I stopped using it and noticed a big burn mark near the gearbox. The salesman recommended it and assured me that it was a reliable product. I need your advice on if I can return it and get my money back. Thanks.

Did you check the oil in the gearbox and grease the zerk fitting before using the tiller?
If not, I believe you are out of luck with getting the dealer or Ansung to honor your warranty claim.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I would imagine that it must have oil in the gearbox. There is a big burn mark on the metal.
Imagining and checking before use are 2 different animals. First thing I do when I get a new implement that is PTO driven is check all the fluids, make sure everything is greased and everything is tight before using it. Dealers are only human and humans are prone to screw ups. Had that happen on a new Kubota I bought years back. No fluid in the front axle. Had fluid before I used it the first time and the dealer (my present dealer btw) took care of the fluid cost, no charge. That could have been a disaster had I not checked it.

Just because it's new don't mean it's 100% ready to rock. Only ready to rock after you inspect it.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I agree.

That said, I would not be surprised if the dealer pointed to a paragraph in the owner's manual where it stated to check gearbox oil before each use.

SDT
SDT... Maybe a new gearbox but a new tiller... I doubt that.

200mph

Equipment
L4740-3 Cab, FEL, Fnt Snow Blower L2185, LP Finish Mower, LP Rotary Mower
Mar 3, 2017
PA
I'd like to see pictures of the burn marks.

Something sounds a bit off here. I'm assuming rotating shafts go through bronze bushings and/or ball bearings. Even without lube, it seems like something would have to be misaligned or parts not to proper tolerance to generate the necessary friction levels to cause "burn marks".

Is it possible the OP has slip clutch that wasn't adjusted correctly and caused the "burning"?

It's been a couple of weeks since the OP posted, so has there been any resolution?

Kurtee

Equipment
BX2660, BX2680 cab, JD 2032R, Honda 5518, JD X590, JD X739
Oct 3, 2013
Nicollet, mn

Jay[/QUOTE]

Are you daft? Do think anyone packs the wheels on a new trailer. Dexter axles recommends repacking 12 months or 12,000 miles whichever comes first. Tear these axles down and service the bearings before the warranty period is up and the warranty is over.

As far as the tiller issue goes the dealer needs to stand behind his product if it was sold as new. If it was used let the buyer beware. I expect anything new to be ready for operation when delivered. Do you buy a new car and have it serviced?

melvinhatcher

Equipment
L3301HST, LA525FEL, 66" QA BUCKET, L8455CRUISE CONTROL KIT, WR LONG 3RD FUNCITIO
Feb 16, 2016
Edgewood Maryland
Re: Ansung YJR 90 Tiller burns on first run

Did you check the oil in the gearbox and grease the zerk fitting before using the tiller?
If not, I believe you are out of luck with getting the dealer or Ansung to honor your warranty claim.

One thing else you should check that is the length of your PTO shaft. If it is too long, it could bind the bearings in the gearbox on the tiller and damage the PTO unit on your tractor as well. Worth checking.

melvinhatcher

Equipment
Feb 16, 2016
Edgewood Maryland

Jay
Are you daft? Do think anyone packs the wheels on a new trailer. Dexter axles recommends repacking 12 months or 12,000 miles whichever comes first. Tear these axles down and service the bearings before the warranty period is up and the warranty is over.

As far as the tiller issue goes the dealer needs to stand behind his product if it was sold as new. If it was used let the buyer beware. I expect anything new to be ready for operation when delivered. Do you buy a new car and have it serviced?[/QUOTE]

IT IS THE PURCHASER AND/OR OPERATOR’S RESPONSIBILITY TO…. Read and understand the information contained in this manual.
Operate, lubricate, assemble and maintain the equipment in accordance with all instructions and safety procedures in this manual.

Inspect the equipment and replace or repair any parts that are damaged or worn which under continued operation would cause damage, wear to other parts, or cause a safety hazard.

Return the equipment or parts to the authorized dealer, from where it was purchased, for service or replacement of defective parts that are covered by warranty. (Manufacturer may inspect equipment or parts before warranty claims are honored.)

Payment of all costs incurred by the dealer for traveling to or transporting the equipment for warranty inspection and or claims