I really need help from another L305DT owner

BotaTrac

Equipment
Kubota B25D, Kubota L305DT, Kubota L2501D, Ford 681 Select-O-Speed
Mar 16, 2017
Hogwarts Academy
So here's what I got.......
I just got a 1982 Kubota L305DT. The unit it super tight and well maintained. I just wished the old owner would have taking care of the outside better. Really needs a bath and some elbow grease to get rid of a decade or so of pine sap.

Nonetheless, the tractor came with an Allied 395 loader on it. Which its cool because it has 6' bucket and a ton of power to operate it. The loader is relatively easy to remove except there are no quick disconnects on any of the hydraulics. Several hoses have been replaced and I think he just figured that he wasn't going to ever remove the loader, so why spend the extra money on disconnects.

Also, the front bumper has been removed from the unit and an aftermarket hydraulic pump has been installed in its place. And finally, there is a hydraulic fluid tank and valve attached to the loader arm. I think that setup is going to require the operator to run the loader during the dismount phase while not on the tractor because of the way it's mounted to the loader arm, which isn't too safe.

My question is...... How is that auxiliary pump powered?
Should I just get the loader off the unit as best as I can and then just mark and cut the hoses with a pair of bolt cutters? I mean, I want this loader but it needs the valve relocated, most of the lines need to be replaced and rerouted anyway.

I have to install several quick connects. The bucket would be super easy to convert to quick attach with a cutting torch and then I can also use a grapple. And what happens to the auxiliary pump. Is there a shaft behind it driving the unit?

ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED. THANKS IN ADVANCE!

Last edited:

ckarnes

Equipment
L345DT, L2501 LA525, BH77
Jun 25, 2014
Sadieville, KY
If its similar to my 1982 L345DT, there is a shaft extension out of the front of the engine that could run an aux. pump.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Yea the motor drives the pump.
Do yourself a favor and ditch the pump and the tank and run the loader off the tractor hydraulics.
It will be fast enough and have enough power without all the extra stuff. ;)

BotaTrac

Equipment
Mar 16, 2017
Hogwarts Academy
If its similar to my 1982 L345DT, there is a shaft extension out of the front of the engine that could run an aux. pump.
YES! Thank you! There is a slot behind the pump about 2X the thickness of a quarter. I can see what look like a black plastic drive with a keyway in it. What happens to that drive shaft, or end of the drive shaft when I remove that pump? In the WSM that North Idaho Wolfman got me and in the Illustrated Parts List that came with the tractor, when that pump isn't there, a bumper bracket (maybe for weights?) bolts right up to that flange. Does that shaft just spin inside a bushing or bearing? is it removable? See attached illustration of the unit.

Again, thanks in advance.

Attachments

Last edited:

BotaTrac

Equipment
Mar 16, 2017
Hogwarts Academy

What happens to that shaft when the pump isn't attached to it? Does it just spin? Does the bumper cover it? Does the end of the shaft remain exposed?

Thanks again!

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
The pump at the front of the engine has a shaft that goes back and is bolted to the flywheel by a bolted on flange. You can remove the pump, shaft and flange. Nothing else needs to be modified.

If you cut the hoses they become useless. Unscrew them from one end or the other.

BotaTrac

Equipment
Mar 16, 2017
Hogwarts Academy
The pump at the front of the engine has a shaft that goes back and is bolted to the flywheel by a bolted on flange. You can remove the pump, shaft and flange. Nothing else needs to be modified.

If you cut the hoses they become useless. Unscrew them from one end or the other.
Yes Sir! And thank you! Now that I understand what it going on, that's exactly what I will do. I see that you have one of the machines. Are you running any implements that need hydraulic power besides the 3pt?

BotaTrac

Equipment
Mar 16, 2017
Hogwarts Academy

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
BT, I have a loader on mine. It's a Massey loader built by Woods. I had to fabricate all the mounting hardware. The tractor had a hydraulic block located under/behind the left side of the seat and that is where the loader hyd. are hooked up. It uses the tractor hydraulics. It has a joystick valve for the loader.

Attachments

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Thanks! I downloaded that a few days ago and oddly enough, nothing about running the hydraulics on a supplemental pump attached to the front end. Made it quite a mystery to me. Thanks again to yourself and everyone else who helped me figure it all out. :)
The hydraulic pump and reservoir will be of value to others whose tractor hydraulic system is a lower flow rate than yours.

Consider offering them for sale in the "Classified" section at the very top of the form page

Dave

BotaTrac

Equipment
Mar 16, 2017
Hogwarts Academy
Here's a link to my auxiliary hydraulics dilemma :D Will show a couple options for tying in your hydraulics for your loader without using an auxiliary hydraulic pump. And my ultimate solution to run my loader :D

http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32751&highlight=Auxiliary+hydraulics
Looks great Daren - Thanks for your input. I like the joystick. I have a two handled spool valve which I want to dump for a Joystick to operate the loader and then reuse the 2 handled spool valve to operate a hydraulic top link.

BotaTrac

Equipment
Mar 16, 2017
Hogwarts Academy
The hydraulic pump and reservoir will be of value to others whose tractor hydraulic system is a lower flow rate than yours.

Consider offering them for sale in the "Classified" section at the very top of the form page

Dave

That's a great idea. What do you think would be a fair price to ask for the auxiliary pump and reservoir?

Attachments

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Looks great Daren - Thanks for your input. I like the joystick. I have a two handled spool valve which I want to dump for a Joystick to operate the loader and then reuse the 2 handled spool valve to operate a hydraulic top link.
Funny :D Later on down the road, I want to swap out my joy stick control. This one doesn't have a float position. I was really missing that feature the other day while smoothing some ruts in my back yard :rolleyes: Would have been great kicking it into float and just concentrating on backing up :rolleyes:

BotaTrac

Equipment
Mar 16, 2017
Hogwarts Academy
BT, I have a loader on mine. It's a Massey loader built by Woods. I had to fabricate all the mounting hardware. The tractor had a hydraulic block located under/behind the left side of the seat and that is where the loader hyd. are hooked up. It uses the tractor hydraulics. It has a joystick valve for the loader.

Thanks a million D2C - I like what you have done. Please check out the pictures I attached. I would like to do something similar. I don't want to give up that 6 foot bucket. Ultimately - I'd like to modify the bucket to a quick attach so that I can also run a grapple........but it doesn't stop there - - - -

I also would like to get a set of hydraulic lines to the back end so that I can use a hydraulic top link. I already have a new BX25D but I got this tractor primarily to do the work that the BX struggles with. Don't get me wrong, the BX has tons of power.......but every once in a while I find that I have more power than traction, so I needed a heaver unit. I don't want to beat up my BX. I'd like to keep it forever then maybe 5-7 years down the road, sell the 305 for a new compact unit. Whatever Kubota is offering with the same or better HP-to-weight factor......yet I digress.....:eek:

This is my factory Hydraulic hook up. Could you answer 3 questions please..

1. Will this Hydraulic unit power everything I want it to do sufficiently?

2. Which plugs would you remove and tap into as the supply and the return?

3. The plugs in this hydraulic unit have clearly been wrenched on. I wonder if the auxiliary pump was added because the previous owner found the stock option lacking power. What are your thoughts?

Attachments

BotaTrac

Equipment
Mar 16, 2017
Hogwarts Academy
Funny :D Later on down the road, I want to swap out my joy stick control. This one doesn't have a float position. I was really missing that feature the other day while smoothing some ruts in my back yard :rolleyes: Would have been great kicking it into float and just concentrating on backing up :rolleyes:

Yessir! Float position is a MUST. I have found so many practical uses for it!

Good luck!

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Could you answer 3 questions please..

1. Will this Hydraulic unit power everything I want it to do sufficiently?

2. Which plugs would you remove and tap into as the supply and the return?

3. The plugs in this hydraulic unit have clearly been wrenched on. I wonder if the auxiliary pump was added because the previous owner found the stock option lacking power. What are your thoughts?

1: Yes the pump on the tractor will power everything fine.

2: You don't remove any plugs, you will need to get the adapter plate that replaces the part that is held on by 4 bolts.

3: If someone did or tried to add lines to where the plugs are they would have been sadly mistaken as those are relief and bypass valves or port, so nothing would work.

BotaTrac

Equipment
Mar 16, 2017
Hogwarts Academy
1: Yes the pump on the tractor will power everything fine.

2: You don't remove any plugs, you will need to get the adapter plate that replaces the part that is held on by 4 bolts.

3: If someone did or tried to add lines to where the plugs are they would have been sadly mistaken as those are relief and bypass valves or port, so nothing would work.

EXCELLENT!! Thanks once again.....

Any ideas where I could start to look for that adapter plate? As always, Thanks in advance!