Starting info for a newbie.

Jewels

Equipment
Kubota 3200
Jan 2, 2020
Minneapolis
Brand new tractor operator here.

Had a lesson by a local vendor a couple weeks ago and have operated it once since. I emailed asking for a written list of the steps to take to start the Kubota 3200 again so I wasn't missing something. Worked just fine that day.

Today cannot get it to start. Almost sounded like it would but didn't go. Tried 10 times (no exaggeration) since and cannot get it to start.

Perhaps I am not remembering where the throttle is located? It is not THAT cold here so I don't think it's a cold engine issue. I am waiting at LEAST 30 seconds with the key in the left position before I try to start it so I don't think it's a cold engine issue.

Again following the steps the other day worked fine. I have tried to email the gentleman again and I have not heard back yet. I am sure he is busy.

Would you please help me remember where the throttle is? He said to put it in the half way position.

I know this all sounds simple to you all but I have absolutely no experience with tractors whatsoever and it is all greek to me.

TIA.

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
Welcome to the forum Jewels!

Throttle should be a lever on the right side of the dash. Forward for idle, full back for wide open.

When you partially turn the key for the glow plugs, does the glow plug light light up on the dash?

Kevin1

Equipment
Husqvarna MZT 52, BX2380,FEL, Box blade, Landscape Rake
Dec 15, 2017
New Bern, N.C.
If I was to guess based on the limited information you provided I would say you are not letting the glow plug heat up before cranking the engine.

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
welcome to the forum!
I began and continue my tractor learning here too.

make sure you are getting glow plug annunciator when you hold the key over to 'preheat', check the seat switch is ok, the PTOs are not engaged, travel pedal not depressed or stuck in position ect

also, have a look at this video, start it at around 4:00 mark
https://youtu.be/eKwaYS3Nmos

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Let's start from square 1:

What tractor do you have, saying 3200 is 1/4 of the needed information, because there is a B3200 and an L3200, and there are variations in each. ;)

modeladay

Equipment
Sold B7100 and purchased a B2150 with FEL
Mar 25, 2016
Lincolnton, GA
B2150 always started with the throttle all the way closed but for some reason in the last year the throttle now must be wide open? You have to be on the throttle when it fires to quickly close the throttle however, you don’t want it firing up wide open. It works for me me this way.

PHPaul

Equipment
B2650, Pronovost snow blower, Landpride rotary mower, Howard tiller, box blade
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com
On my B2650, pre-heat/glow plugs is the first position CLOCKWISE from off.

I know some of the other/older models turn the key counter-clockwise for glow plugs.

As others have said, make sure you're getting the glow plug indicator light.

Jewels

Equipment
Kubota 3200
Jan 2, 2020
Minneapolis
Thanks everyone for your replies.

After much research online it appears as though I was not using the throttle like I thought. I learned it is the orange "lever" to the right of the steering wheel. For some reason that did not seem correct today. I must've remembered it correctly the other day when I moved snow.

It is an L3200 Kubota. I forgot the other numbers I'd have to check. 245 something like that.

Anyhoo a friend came over who grew up on a farm (unrelated to the tractor) and we tried to start it using the orange "lever" and it did start up so that was it! I had forgotten which one was the throttle!

Now I remember. Thank you all. It showed a turtle on the forward position I think, seemed neutral in the center and I can't remember which animal for the back position.

I also need help finding "winter blend" diesel since it's down to 1/4 of a tank of diesel. I've a called around and no one seems to have the "winter diesel" or at least not yet. Tractor Supply company suggested that most gas stations will have switched over to winter diesel by now but I'm not finding that to be true.

I'm in MN by the way. I'll probably do a separate post for that.

Thanks!

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
I have never started my L3200 with the throttle ever moved off idle. Granted it doesnt get that cold down here, but starting it when its 30 degrees I run the glow plugs for maybe 10 seconds and it fires right off.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
If you are in MN the fuel has already been switched over. Go to a busy station and buy your fuel. Add a fuel anti gel and you are good to go.
Good advice.

I'm in upstate New York and have no concern about winter diesel this time of year....happened a while back.

I also buy from the station at the fuel company's headquarters. It serves their own trucks, plus the school buses, town trucks, etc.

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Thanks everyone for your replies.

After much research online it appears as though I was not using the throttle like I thought. I learned it is the orange "lever" to the right of the steering wheel. For some reason that did not seem correct today. I must've remembered it correctly the other day when I moved snow.

It is an L3200 Kubota. I forgot the other numbers I'd have to check. 245 something like that.

Anyhoo a friend came over who grew up on a farm (unrelated to the tractor) and we tried to start it using the orange "lever" and it did start up so that was it! I had forgotten which one was the throttle!

Now I remember. Thank you all. It showed a turtle on the forward position I think, seemed neutral in the center and I can't remember which animal for the back position.

I also need help finding "winter blend" diesel since it's down to 1/4 of a tank of diesel. I've a called around and no one seems to have the "winter diesel" or at least not yet. Tractor Supply company suggested that most gas stations will have switched over to winter diesel by now but I'm not finding that to be true.

I'm in MN by the way. I'll probably do a separate post for that.

Thanks!
Being in MN they automatically switch out to winter blend in late fall or early winter, so you should have no worries there.

One note, sound like your new to diesels so here are a couple notes:

Off road diesel ( red dyed diesel ) is cheaper priced because your not paying road tax and is the same exact fuel as on road diesel.

Water and debri of any kind in fuel is your enemy, in winter water will freeze, too of either and it will foul up the system, and in summer it will lead to algae growth and gum up the works bad.
Ways to keep this to a minimum are:
Very Clean containers, kept out of the sun and any huge temperature swings.
Keep them as full as possible to keep condensation to a minimum this goes double for the tractor, get in the habit of filling the tractors tank full after every use to avoid issues, especially if your only seldomly using the tractor.
One other help is to use fuel biocide or algaecide treatments that will help keep fuel clean and stable.
Running winter fuel in the summer is fine but not so much for summer into the winter, you can just add treatment to the fuel to turn it into the winter blend. ;)

Jewels

Equipment
Kubota 3200
Jan 2, 2020
Minneapolis
I have called around to several different gas stations in the area and none have switched to winter blend yet. :( I'm in the country and about 15 miles from the next biggest city so I'm surprised.

Just an FYI that even though it may seem like "for sure" gas stations would have changed over "by now" (Jan 2020) none that I have checked have yet. Story of my life. :) Anything that is "typical" or "always" happens for others does not happen for me. lol.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
It's been my experience when I have walked in the door to the gas station in say November that no one behind the counter nor even the manager has a clue as to what kind of diesel they're selling. The answer ranges from "whatever the supplier brings" to " I would have heard about it from the truckers if the fuel was gelling" . So as long as you buy from a station that sells a lot of diesel, eg near a fwy or some other busy location you will be fine. They probably couldn't get it out of the truck at Minnesota temps if it weren't treated for winter.

propuckstopper

Equipment
GR2010, BX2380
Jan 10, 2018
Canada
I am positive that the diesel in your area is good to go for winter, regardless of what the filling station attendants say.

If you are worried, grab a bottle of "Power Service" diesel additive in the white bottle and add to your fuel as instructed on the label. You can get it at Wal-Mart.

Problems solved...

Last edited:

rjcorazza

Equipment
L4060 HSTC Loader, ZD326, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2016
Hyattstown, MD
Funny. I have never gotten a straight answer about winterized fuel from the attendants or managers. They usually look at me like I have 3 eyes.
In my moderate area the fuel deliveries are winterized on or about November 01, but I also treat my fuel with Power Service anti gel to be sure.

I haven't had any fuel gelling problems, but have had the misfortune of dealing with water contaminated diesel in one of my ZD mowers. I treat my fuel in the winter, keep all tanks as full as practical, and use a filter on the transfer tank (with a water blocking filter).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

eliot3b4

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650
Nov 7, 2019
Eliot, Maine
Hello Jewels.
Get a cup of coffee and read the owners manual. Then take the manual with you and sit in your tractor and learn where all of the controls are located and what they do. As for starting, as others have said, make certain the yellow glow plug light is activated when you turn the key. Keep the yellow plug activated for at least 6 seconds or longer if it is really cold. The tractor should start up. Suggest you keep the engine at idle when starting.

As for diesel fuel. Put an additive in your fuel tank to sotp the fuel from jelling also it also gets rid of any microprobes. Do not rely on gas stations to have the right blend. I've had a diesel car stop because the fuel jelled. The fuel came from the gas station.

I suggest you keep your tractor full of fuel; refill the tractor at the end of the day's work. Keep at least a 5 gallon gas of fuel available, that is under cover.

I'm curious why you purchased a tractor and why you chose the model you purchased. What do you want to do with the tractor?

If you are going to do snow removal, drive around your house and area you want to move snow, BEFORE it starts snowing. This way, you get the feel for the tractor and the area you are going to plow. Everything changes when it is snowing and everything is very slippery.

Also, use ear plugs. Protect your hearing as once you lose it you will never get it back.

I do not recommend you plow snow at night. Darkness changes your perception and this is when an accident will happen due to inexperience. After your have about 20 hours of plowing, then venture out at night, and only on level ground near your home.

Always carry your cell phone, even if it is in your pocket. If you get stuck you need to be able to call someone. Also, let someone know you are plowing. Kind of like a flight plan.

Hope this is helpful.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
You can pretty much bet the bank every station selling diesel in Minneapolis in January is treated. Even the ignorant employee would would soon be made aware of why all the folks are coming in looking for the manager/owner!!

tthorkil

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M9540HDC12 / LX2610HSDC / ZD1011-48 / Bobcat S250
Jan 1, 2011
Bagley, MN, United States
Jewels,
I normally purchase my winter diesel earlier than the normal switch-over to winter blend. I just go to my local Cenex station - they have two pumps for off-road diesel - one for number 2 and one for number 1. I just mix a 50/50 blend of #1 and #2 with the recommended amount of the Power Service anti-gel additive and top off my tank - I have yet to have any problem with gelling. I usually get the diesel in 5 gal. containers and dump them in my 55 gal diesel transfer tank with a water-block filter and battery operated pump.