Looking for a B3350 block heater.

B3350orbust

Equipment
B3350, 72” Bush Hog, 72” box blade, 72” grader blade, 48” King Kutter tiller,
Nov 27, 2019
Long Bottom, Ohio
Does anyone have any suggestions for a block heater that won’t violate my warranty? What’s the difficulty level with installing a block heater?

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Does anyone have any suggestions for a block heater that won’t violate my warranty? What’s the difficulty level with installing a block heater?
Is there any reason to avoid the Kubota block heater?

I cannot imagine any warranty issues with it.

SDT

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
I do not know your tractor but one issue arising on some models is the confusion the warm block causes for the automation of the GP timer.

The timer sees the warm block and deduces there is no need for GP's. As the engine cranks and inhales very cold air, it does not want to fire.

On common rail fuel injection engines, the dealer can change the sensor used to decide GP time from the engine block sensor to the mass air flow sensor.

Now the GP warm time will be appropriate for the outdoor air temp.

On my 2012 pre common rail engine, the block heater was causing starting problems as described above. I was shown a dealer trick which gives me manual control of the GP warm time. Shuttle shift in forward and turn key to start.

You have on indication on the dash but the GP's are heating. Count to 10, shuttle back to neutral and crank engine. It fires instantly.

Dave

B3350orbust

Equipment
Nov 27, 2019
Long Bottom, Ohio
I’m fine with the Kubota brand I don’t know which one to buy, Messicks doesn’t list one for the 3350 or I’m not looking it up correctly. It’s not cold enough here yet but it will be come January. I’m reaching for straws ... just one of the things I read that may help me keep going once I get her back. Thanks for the replies.

B3350orbust

Equipment
Nov 27, 2019
Long Bottom, Ohio
So even if I activate the gp’s With the key they may not preheat if it’s not cold enough?

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
So even if I activate the gp’s With the key they may not preheat if it’s not cold enough?
The answer to your question totally depends upon how your GP's are controlled.

Early Kubota's like a B7100 provided the operator with total control over GP heating time. The key was held in a specified position and the GP's received power for as long as the key was held in the pre heat position.

Over time Kubota's design took control over GP heating time. How and when is very much model dependent.

On my M7040. when I turn the key to ON, if the tractor believes it is cold enough to need the GP's a symbol appears on my dash. I have to wait until that symbol goes out before turning the key to start. The time the symbol remains lit on the dash is dependent on the coolant temp.

Dave

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Since your dealer is replacing the dpf etc under warranty, why don't you ask him to install correct one and do any computer adjustments needed? It might be easier with the stuff out of the way, might not cost you much, and build a little good will with him.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Yep, it's a semi auto sysytem.

If your local dealer can't help, call messick's or coleman equipment and they can get you the right block heater.
I think it's the "1 threaded heater, it fits into the left side of the block.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Glow plugs on B3350 are manually turned on by key switch. I don***8217;t think there is any timer etc.
Nope, they are not manual, they are timed, they are controlled by the computer.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Same for the 2650 or does the regen of the 3350 make it different?
All newer Kubota's use some computer control to time the glow plugs, there are ways on some to manually override the time, or trick the computer.
Like holding down on the hst pedal or clutch or cycling the key on and off, I'm not sure there is any standard way to do it.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
As far as I can tell on my B 2650 the glow plugs are on as long as I hold the key in the spring resisted position going 1 mississippi 2 mississippi etc. until I think it is warm enough.

There is a glow plug indicator light.

The manual for the 2650/3350 does not differentiate between the 2 models with regard to starting. I think the basic problem with the 3350s is that they tacked a regen system on a plain mechanically controlled engine with different style glow plug chambers than on my 3560, but I'd have to do some reading because that is only a fuzzy recollection. For sure the common rail system gives better opportunity for computer control of fuel injection.

Not so on the L3560. Turn the key and it does its electronic checklist while the fuel pump ticks. If it is really cold you see the glow plug symbol come on, and then you crank when it goes off like my truck.

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
As far as I can tell on my B 2650 the glow plugs are on as long as I hold the key in the spring resisted position going 1 mississippi 2 mississippi etc. until I think it is warm enough.

There is a glow plug indicator light.

The manual for the 2650/3350 does not differentiate between the 2 models with regard to starting. I think the basic problem with the 3350s is that they tacked a regen system on a plain mechanically controlled engine with different style glow plug chambers than on my 3560, but I'd have to do some reading because that is only a fuzzy recollection. For sure the common rail system gives better opportunity for computer control of fuel injection.

Not so on the L3560. Turn the key and it does its electronic checklist while the fuel pump ticks. If it is really cold you see the glow plug symbol come on, and then you crank when it goes off like my truck.
I'm going to have to bone up on my research, and will formally apologise to everyone if my previous info is far from correct as it looks like from sheepfarmer's info that I am wrong. :eek:

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Well I think there has to be some computer control of rpm on the 3350 judging from people's description of the regen cycle when the rpm goes up automatically during parked regen. But never having driven one I am extrapolating from my manual.

vic gerbasi

Equipment
M110 L3300
Feb 19, 2016
dugald mb canada
maybe just go with a circulating heater that fits into the rad hose I have one in my L3300 works very well not to expensive and available at most auto store It was minus 32 F here the other day results are very good

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Well I think there has to be some computer control of rpm on the 3350 judging from people's description of the regen cycle when the rpm goes up automatically during parked regen. But never having driven one I am extrapolating from my manual.
Yes, the ECU does control the governor on the 3350 during parked regen and start up.

I'll need to check the glow plug operation on mine. I do not think that the glow plugs are timed but am not certain.

SDT