L245DT all power cuts at attempt to start

jmann

Equipment
L1500dt
Aug 28, 2010
St. Joseph, MO
My L245DT has had no problems starting until today. It is cold ~32 F after a 20F night. Battery is fully charged, brand new at 850 cca. Also semi-new voltage regulator and alternator. Tractor has worked with all of these new components just fine. The four fuses on the dash appear fine, connections tight at battery.

What happens: I engaged the glow plugs 60 seconds, then attempt to turn over the engine. A split second after the starter engaged, all power was cut off--starter ceased, charging/oil lights went off, and I could not get power anywhere. Waited 10 mins and had power again. Repeated these steps and same thing happened, except now I still do not have any power anywhere. Any ideas?

Last edited:

birddogger

May 29, 2011
Pittsburgh
Check the other ends of the cables from the battery. The ground wire to the frame, and hot wire to the starter solenoid.
One of the guys in-the-know here mentioned that the OEM cables are prone to corroding an inch or so up under the plastic sheathing. Lop off the end and refit universal clamp on terminals.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
My 9000 did about the same thing yours is doing. I had just replaced the battery and after cutting hay all day the tractor wouldn't crank and would loose all power when I hit the starter. I had cleaned my post and cables when the battery was put in but for some reason it had developed a hard crust on the post. Cleaned everything again and it was fine.

Kytim

Equipment
B6000DT, B7100DT,Snowplow, RM360, Scoop, Cultivator, Carryall,Disk, plow
Aug 14, 2009
Western Ky
+1, check the grounds most likely there but, be best time to clean and service both cables and ends. that should take care of it.