Tractor Transport Company

Bruin4

Jan 14, 2014
Warren, CT USA
Hello,

Has anyone ever dealt with a shipping / transport company for transporting a TLB - I found a great L35 with very low hours

Tractor is in CA buy I need to get it to CT - problem is its a 3000 mile trip and that cost may not make the purchase worth it. The tractor is no bargain now but its low low hours.

Thanks

Last edited:

ShaunBlake

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B6100D; B219; Piranha bar; Hodge stabilizers; Filled Ag rears; R322T w/48" deck
Dec 21, 2014
Sugar Hill -- next door to Buford, GA
When I was shopping for a SCUT+FEL, I read a number of posts in several forums and Fastenal's costs were the lowest I saw. I didn't use them because I bought from an equipment dealer who delivered it for a pretty low fee. (I think maybe so he could get a look at the fool he'd just snookered).

Anyway, Fastenal's motto is "WE ARE WHERE YOU ARE", and they do seem to be. You can click this link to submit a request for quote on their "Third Party Logistics (3PL)" system.

Keep us posted on your adventure!

A.O.

Equipment
L3540HST LA724 FEL
Feb 6, 2015
South Carolina
If you go to tractorhouse.com (an on line tractor sales place) click on a tractor and on the right side you will get a place for shipping estimates, you can register there for quotes from folks that move heavy equipment all the time. I got a quote on moving a 3010 Kubota from Tx to SC of $780.( you dont have to buy from tractor house to use them)

I didnt much like uship , prices were all over the place.. got bids on moving a loader bucket to MI from $350 to $4300... and they've been pestering me ever since!

A also got a quote from Fastenal that was pretty decent.

Try the one at Tractorhouse.com, they seemed the best.

And no, I ended up getting a tractor local so I did not actually use any of them.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
With Uship you get quotes on basis of information you provide to them. You can not talk to any driver until you have a contract with Uship. It's their way of protecting you from dealing with a driver without them getting their cut.

Prices seem to vary quite a bit. You can negotiate some with the driver by email to help them line up other shipments to compliment yours.

Drivers vary in expertise. Be aware of the driver's insurance.

I've used them two times. One was hauling a Polaris Ranger. He set it up high on his trailer and the wind of a passing truck blew the hood up. A lot of damage occurred. I had specifically made him aware of a problem several times, but it went in one ear and never settled in his brain!!

Second time hauling another Ranger was fine. Driver was a retired Highway Patrol officer. As kind, courteous and professional as a human could be. Competitively priced, kept in touch through the whole process.

So you never know---- until it's too late, really.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
I could ramble all day long with horror stories from transport brokers. Had contracted with a company to transfer three fifth wheel trailer mounted pieces of equipment. First two arrived with out issue. Last one had three blow outs on the passenger side. Watched the driver leave the yard and run it through the ditch, and cleaned out a metal culvert. Then proceeded to nail the curb six times in a 1/4 mile stretch down the road to the interstate. One of those times they actually landed it up on the side walk :eek: called the boss and let him know what I saw, in case someone called saying we owed them for tires. Sure enough, the phone was ringing at 7am sharp wanting to know why we didn't check the tires :rolleyes: Unit had just received four brand new tires, and had a wheel bearing service. Had them fax the paperwork for the road side service, and every tire was for the passenger side. With one rim replacement. Shipping company had to eat all three tires and rim:D

Last edited:

2grit

Equipment
L35,U45
Apr 24, 2011
northeast
I could ramble all day long with horror stories from transport brokers. Had contracted with a company to transfer three fifth wheel trailer mounted pieces of equipment. First two arrived with out issue. Last one had three blow outs on the passenger side. Watched the driver leave the yard and run it through the ditch, and cleaned out a metal culvert. Then proceeded to nail the curb six times in a 1/4 mile stretch down the road to the interstate. One of those times they actually landed it up on the side walk :eek: called the boss and let him know what I saw, in case someone called saying we owed them for tires. Sure enough, the phone was ringing at 7am sharp wanting to know why we didn't check the tires :rolleyes: Unit had just received four brand new tires, and had a wheel bearing service. Had them fax the paperwork for the road side service, and every tire was for the passenger side. With one rim replacement. Shipping company had to eat all three tires and rim:D

Did you get reimbursed for the bottle of Motrin?

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Did you get reimbursed for the bottle of Motrin?
No :( scary part are the contracted drivers that have supposedly been hauling equipment for twenty years, but don't know the first thing about chaining down a piece of equipment. I've lost count of how many freight haulers I've had to teach how to bind down a load :mad: And have had a couple that couldn't leave the yard till there boss showed up with another driver :rolleyes:

2grit

Equipment
L35,U45
Apr 24, 2011
northeast
No :( scary part are the contracted drivers that have supposedly been hauling equipment for twenty years, but don't know the first thing about chaining down a piece of equipment. I've lost count of how many freight haulers I've had to teach how to bind down a load :mad: And have had a couple that couldn't leave the yard till there boss showed up with another driver :rolleyes:
Ditto to that. I hired a professional transporter (with a lowboy) to move my dozer at the rate of $125.00/hr. When he showed up he said he couldn't unload at that site and wanted to unload it in the road. I told him no way and then he wanted to unload it in the extremely deep ditch. I told him where to just back in and he pondered and pondered and finally agreed but not before stopping and looking a few times. I had to stop him at one point because he was backing into a row of trees. He finally put it right where I told him. I was so frustrated that I started unbinding the dozer before he even set the air brakes. I think he was trying to make a whole day out of a 4 hour round trip.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Ditto to that. I hired a professional transporter (with a lowboy) to move my dozer at the rate of $125.00/hr. When he showed up he said he couldn't unload at that site and wanted to unload it in the road. I told him no way and then he wanted to unload it in the extremely deep ditch. I told him where to just back in and he pondered and pondered and finally agreed but not before stopping and looking a few times. I had to stop him at one point because he was backing into a row of trees. He finally put it right where I told him. I was so frustrated that I started unbinding the dozer before he even set the air brakes. I think he was trying to make a whole day out of a 4 hour round trip.
I lose patience with drivers like that real fast. Contracted with several different company's over the years. I give them explicit detail as far as what they would be hauling. Lengh, width, height, weight, and how many need to fit on the trailer. Then have the driver show up and act like a little sissy, saying it won't fit even though you've sent tons of loads out the same way :mad: Best driver we ever had sent to us was a transvestite :rolleyes: Her coworkers always tried starting crap about her/him. Saying customers would complain. We used to request her!! She would run circles around every one else. Wouldn't have to stop traffic so she could back into the yard. Just pulled up, blocked the road, layed into the air horn and backed in :D As fast as you could sling equipment onto the trailer, she would have it chained down. In and out of the yard in half an hour. Everyone else was at least an hour. Had some that would take three hours :rolleyes: Always on time for delivery's, and no damage what so ever to the equipment. Couldn't ask for any better :D

olthumpa

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L275
May 25, 2011
Maine
A local excitation contractor in my area needed to move a medium size loader from one job site to another. He had just blown the transmission in the tractor that pulled his large low bed so he hired a company to move it for him - about 10 miles. Less than two miles from where they picked it up and about 1/2 mile from me, he lost the loader off the low bed and rolled the truck over. He only put one chain on it. The driver is now a paraplegic.:eek: All to save a LITTLE time.

2grit

Equipment
L35,U45
Apr 24, 2011
northeast
I lose patience with drivers like that real fast. Contracted with several different company's over the years. I give them explicit detail as far as what they would be hauling. Lengh, width, height, weight, and how many need to fit on the trailer. Then have the driver show up and act like a little sissy, saying it won't fit even though you've sent tons of loads out the same way :mad: Best driver we ever had sent to us was a transvestite :rolleyes: Her coworkers always tried starting crap about her/him. Saying customers would complain. We used to request her!! She would run circles around every one else. Wouldn't have to stop traffic so she could back into the yard. Just pulled up, blocked the road, layed into the air horn and backed in :D As fast as you could sling equipment onto the trailer, she would have it chained down. In and out of the yard in half an hour. Everyone else was at least an hour. Had some that would take three hours :rolleyes: Always on time for delivery's, and no damage what so ever to the equipment. Couldn't ask for any better :D

Haha. That's awesome

2grit

Equipment
L35,U45
Apr 24, 2011
northeast
A local excitation contractor in my area needed to move a medium size loader from one job site to another. He had just blown the transmission in the tractor that pulled his large low bed so he hired a company to move it for him - about 10 miles. Less than two miles from where they picked it up and about 1/2 mile from me, he lost the loader off the low bed and rolled the truck over. He only put one chain on it. The driver is now a paraplegic.:eek: All to save a LITTLE time.
Reminds me of a video I just saw. These are awesome
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aegItmNSVJ4