ZL1802DT - wrong battery terminal issue

Gippy

Equipment
ZL1802DT
Aug 4, 2009
Australia
Hello, First great site and great information, keep up the great work. The problem as hand, I have inherited the tractor with the purchase of the small farm in Australia. And this is the first issue I have with it and purely my own stupid fault. I (I mean a friend) connected the battery with the wrong polarity. The friend saw smoke out the side of the engine grill and now the tractor will not start. The glow plug does not glow and the light does not light-up. I have checked a few operator/part manuals and the L185 seems to be the closest match. My question is what should I check for first, as I would think that this is a common error. After doing some research, I am guessing slow blow fuse and regulators are the two things affected by polarity. But I got no idea where they are located. Any help is muchly appreciated.

cabu

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kuno B1-15 (B1502DT)
May 24, 2009
Germany, Oyten
Hello Gippy,

your ZL1802DT looks like my B1502DT.

At my traktor the regulator is below the dashboard at the position wher your left knee would touch the traktor (sitting on it). But I have a AC Alterator.

If you have a 3Ph generator than the regulator is normaly in the generator.

So maybe you should disconnect the generator, checked all fuses, and try again to start the engine. If the generator has a short cut now, it will blow your fuses again.

There are normally not so many things sensitiv to polarity: Generator, Starter (maybe mechanical porblems), the Stereo :) , and maybe the automatic control of the hitch.

I would start one by one by checking the fuses and thinking about a reason why this and that fuse might has blow.

Have Fun

carl

Gippy

Equipment
ZL1802DT
Aug 4, 2009
Australia
Thanks for the quick replies. Will check all the above this weekend. Carl, thanks for the pointer, will compare the manual for reference. Vic, I will post a picture of my beast when I am there again this weekend. When I say beast, I mean it is damn fugly, but so am I. Will let you know how I go.

Gippy

Equipment
ZL1802DT
Aug 4, 2009
Australia
Hello Vic,
Spent the weekend checking all the wires and fuses. And OMG what a mess I have made!! All the panels are out and the "rattle can" series looks like the next thing on my to do list. But first I have to get the work horse running!! :mad:

The fuseable link just after the starter was replaced and that fixed all the electricals. (e.g. lights, coil, horn)

However, the ignition is still not cranking over. When I turn the key to the on position, the two display indicators on the dash does not light up.

I really couldn't find the extra two fuses you spoke about. Is the fuseable link one of them? Also the "safety switch" is that a small round matallic looking cylinder?

Awaiting your reply, I will retrace the wires again and make sure in the meatime. Thanks. And the pictures as promised.

Gippy

Attachments

Gippy

Equipment
ZL1802DT
Aug 4, 2009
Australia
Ohh..and here is a picture of the engine bay and starter solenoid. Any pointers would be appreciated. Obivously the highlights are more for me, just incase I am refering to something incorrectly. Cheers Gippy

Attachments

Gippy

Equipment
ZL1802DT
Aug 4, 2009
Australia
Hi Vic,
Started searching OTT for starting problem, and realized that my post was prob in the wrong area. Sorry about that.
Anyway, I read this thread where it said a fuse can b broken even if it looks Ok, eg the middle link still intact. So $3 later I replaced all 4 fuses (so no automatic thingy), my tractor is in business again.
So you are right on the money, wire and fuse.

Now pple say that taking things apart was the easy bit..
Thanks for all your help, until next time..
Gippy