Issues Splitting the L175 Transmisson

jcyphert

Equipment
1975 - L175
Sep 26, 2011
shippenville
I was successful splitting the engine at the clutch but for some reason I just can't seem to get the front transmission split from the rear. I pulled eight bolts total from the front/rear spacer but just can't get it to break. The manual does say something about stud nuts. I can't find ANY other nuts/bolts anywhere that look like they need to come out. Does anyone have any experience with these beasts?

My goal is to replace the input shaft (main shaft) front of the trany.

I have the top and bottom bolts in now in case it decides to split but this is it right? So its these five and the other three that are out of the picture on the other side.

ls6

Oct 2, 2011
carson washington
i just split L2550 by raising tractor at the very rear using the weight of the tractor, sounds like you need to bolt it back together at the clutch housing to make this work. good luck.

jcyphert

Equipment
1975 - L175
Sep 26, 2011
shippenville
sounds like you need to bolt it back together at the clutch housing to make this work. good luck.
UGH!!! This project might kill me.

thanks for the help! I considered chaining the front to something solid and hooking a come-along to the rear axle and start pulling... would that work?

ls6

Oct 2, 2011
carson washington
Put tension on the case either with a come-along or by blocking at front of case and raising back of tractor slightly and maybe adding some weight where you want the case to split, also a few raps with a deadblow hammer or a block of wood and a big hammer will get the job done.

jcyphert

Equipment
1975 - L175
Sep 26, 2011
shippenville
I'm having trouble finding a gasket for between the front and rear transmission. Would I be okay using a liquid gasket for this or is that not suggested?

WinnieCouple

Equipment
L245DT, razor brush hog, small disc, double bottom plow, 5' Turfline Box Blade.
Aug 1, 2011
Hico, Texas
I'm having trouble finding a gasket for between the front and rear transmission. Would I be okay using a liquid gasket for this or is that not suggested?
I was thinking the same thing, when i split apart my front axles on my L245DT, there are O-rings for seals, but I'm wondering if putting some sort of liquid gasket around the joints as well...?
anyone...?

jcyphert

Equipment
1975 - L175
Sep 26, 2011
shippenville
I have two concerns,
1) pressure from within the transmission working the seal
2) now giving the gasket time to form before it is squeezed too tight for it to setup.

birddogger

May 29, 2011
Pittsburgh
Permatex "Ultra Gray" is sturdy stuff, made for exposure to oil. Not quite as hard as epoxy but pretty close. The way to install it is a bead all the way around, mate surfaces and bring up only finger tight with squeeze-out all around. Wait 1 hour and finish tightening. After 24 hours it is cured fully.
I just had to replace the oil-pan in my car, it called for ultra gray-no gasket, it took prying with 2 claw-hammers to pop off the old pan.

jcyphert

Equipment
1975 - L175
Sep 26, 2011
shippenville
Okay, I got it apart!! I know it's not the right way to do things but it worked. Two anchor points and one come-along pulled it right apart. anyone else thinking of doing this... they key is to leave a few bolts in so you don't pull the pieces right onto the floor. :)