L245DT is clutch inspection possible?

Aussie Wayne

Nov 14, 2019
IRONBARK
I'm new to this site today. I bought my pride and joy around 15 years ago and it would be the best bit of kit I own. However in recent months there has been an increasing whirring noise coming from the clutch area when I depress the foot pedal. After looking at a number of YouTube videos etc I believe that it is probably the through out bearing needing replacing. However rather than go to the expense of splitting the tractor in the first place i was wondering if there was an inspection cover/panel located on the bell housing which might allow me to possibly grease the bearing. I have seen some Kubota videos referring to this to allow access to a grease nipple. Can anyone tell me if the L245DT has this as i cant seem to locate it? Appreciate any advice or assistance. Cheers Wayne

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
On my smaller similar L185, there is a small cover on the same side as the brake pedals. It does allow access to a grease zerk, but as I understand it, the grease does not get into the bearing. The grease is for a sleeve that the bearing slides on.

The bearing has to be replaced it can’t be re greased

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Russell is absolutely correct. You put too much grease (about one stroke of a grease gun every 3-5 years) in that fitting and you'll soon have grease slinging around in your bell housing and then you will have a slipping clutch.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I'm new to this site today. I bought my pride and joy around 15 years ago and it would be the best bit of kit I own. However in recent months there has been an increasing whirring noise coming from the clutch area when I depress the foot pedal. After looking at a number of YouTube videos etc I believe that it is probably the through out bearing needing replacing. However rather than go to the expense of splitting the tractor in the first place i was wondering if there was an inspection cover/panel located on the bell housing which might allow me to possibly grease the bearing. I have seen some Kubota videos referring to this to allow access to a grease nipple. Can anyone tell me if the L245DT has this as i cant seem to locate it? Appreciate any advice or assistance. Cheers Wayne
Like others have said, You can not grease the bearing, the grease nipple (zerk) is there for greasing the slide that the bearing work on, and greasing it will not fix the bad bearing.
Split it and replace the bearing.
While in there you might want to really consider a new clutch disk, pressure plate, and pilot bearing/ pilot bushing.

Aussie Wayne

Nov 14, 2019
IRONBARK
Hi guys and thanks for the quick advice. However my first issue is whether or not there is an inspection cover/plate or not on the L245DT. I have a loader fitted and I can't seem to see one on the tractor. Does anyone know for sure if one exists on this model please? If i can find it i will then be careful about applying any grease. Cheers Wayne

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
There should be a small cover on the side of the bell housing probably round and held on with one bolt (if my memory is working)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Aussie Wayne

Nov 14, 2019
IRONBARK
Thanks guys. I have located the inspection cover in front of the brake pedal. It is rectangular in shape and has two bolts holding it in place. Once I removed the cover I could see that the bearing was rusty. I have given the nipple some grease and sprayed a little bit of WD40 around the general area. The whinning noise has reduced significantly however you are right in that this is only a short term solution. I will need to split the tractor. Thanks again for your help. Cheers