L3901 4 in 1 loader bucket capabilities

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Here's the Kubota answer "The loader lift capacity is around 1,150 lbs, and therefore you won***8217;t notice the extra 100lb addition.

Also, the versatility of the 4-in-1 bucket is worth the extra 100 lbs"
The loader can probably lift 1,150 lbs. but the tractor cannot except in IDEAL conditions.

FWIW, my L6060 is considerably larger and heavier than a 3901, the FEL lift capacity is more and, no doubt, my Kubota 4-in-1 bucket (the one compatible with the L6060) is heavier than yours.

I find the FEL/4-in-1 bucket combination to be almost useless without the sand filled ballast box on the three point. Indeed the tractor will not back up a small incline even with nothing in the bucket unless in FWA and even on a crushed rock driveway. Moreover, it is dangerous on inclines, again with nothing in the bucket. More than once, I have lifted the outside rear wheel when turning down minor inclines with nothing in the bucket. As a result, I always travel with the bucket near the ground to prevent excessive tipping before I can react by lowering the FEL. I also keep it in FWA when the FEL/bucket is attached to prevent quickly sliding down any incline that I might find myself on.

Caveat: I change and repair my own tires and have no provision for handling liquid ballast so do not use such. The 6060 does have two cast iron weights on each side and I do have the previously mentioned ballast box filled with unopened bags of playground sand that I can use with both the 6060 and my M9960.

Caution is advised.

SDT

Last edited:

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Really?? I don't know all - so why bother trolling, I thought this was against the rules here.
The dealer doesn't keep it on hand. This is something I had to ask for and they special ordered it. As for your anologies, they're irrelevant since no one cares. The bucket was a throw-in due to specials they have, buy a tractor get 2 implements.

I guess I got a free golden spoon, then. Analyze that.
Also it's "love their 4in1" not "love there 4in1"
"...uy a tractor get 2 implements."

Where is your dealer? I want to go.

SDT

34by151

Equipment
bx23s
Jan 12, 2019
Peachester, QLD, Australia
Got it, thanks. I think I saw this on a DIY mods video. I don't have a welder so you think it would impair the bucket any if I drilled holes to install the hooks?
I welded tabs as pr the pic because the top lip of the bucket has the hard lines
for the 4in1 rams.

You may find bolt on honks will interfere with the braces for the rams.

Welding on some hooks or tabs like mine will be simple for a local welder and cheep as its just needs some scrap steel.

34by151

Equipment
bx23s
Jan 12, 2019
Peachester, QLD, Australia
Used the 4in1 heaps today.
Was levelling out a pad for a new shed. The pad is bounded of three sides by a fence, retaining wall and a 17m tower (10gb microwave link for internet).
So access is tight.

I had about 40 cubic meters of clay to push in. Did that with a combination of the bucket and dozing. Once most was in place removed the BH and put the box blade on. Moed a lot of clay around while levelling but the classic problem is the box blade hangs out the back and leaves a lot of distance between the dirt picked up and the obstacle (fence, tower, wall).
Simple with the 4in and box blade. Once the bucket gets to the wall, lift the box blade and back over the pile. Push the pile (dozing) with the 4in1.

Makes it simple in tight places.

ArtinAz

Equipment
L3901
Oct 24, 2019
Snowflake
Actually, I have not had a "bad experience" but have decided that a 4-in-1 bucket is not appropriate for me for multiple reasons.

That said, a 4-in-1 bucket is just the thing for some landscapers, excavators, etc., especially when used on a skid steer.

When my second pole barn was built about 4 years ago, the concrete folks used a skid steer with 4-in-1 bucket to distribute and level the crushed stone beneath the concrete. The operator was an artist. It was an experience watching what he did with it in such a short time.

SDT
I'm on 42 acres but won't be doing heavy construction work anymore.
I'll be relocating downed trees for burn, grading for landscape around my new home, grading driveway (750 ft.) & road, and clearing for gardening, among other things.

I did have access to a cat 420 which had a 4/1 & liked it. I know the setup I'm getting isn't as powerful, by far, but from my research it seems like the L3901 with the 4/1 bucket will accomodate my needs. I've been looking around over the last 3 months for a good utility vehicle - this is what I decided.

ArtinAz

Equipment
L3901
Oct 24, 2019
Snowflake
"...uy a tractor get 2 implements."

Where is your dealer? I want to go.

SDT

The promo is over - ended October. I just thought it odd they never required a downpayment. Was supposed to be delivered today but they called & pushed it back to next week since they received the wrong parts.

ArtinAz

Equipment
L3901
Oct 24, 2019
Snowflake
The loader can probably lift 1,150 lbs. but the tractor cannot except in IDEAL conditions.

FWIW, my L6060 is considerably larger and heavier than a 3901, the FEL lift capacity is more and, no doubt, my Kubota 4-in-1 bucket (the one compatible with the L6060) is heavier than yours.

I find the FEL/4-in-1 bucket combination to be almost useless without the sand filled ballast box on the three point. Indeed the tractor will not back up a small incline even with nothing in the bucket unless in FWA and even on a crushed rock driveway. Moreover, it is dangerous on inclines, again with nothing in the bucket. More than once, I have lifted the outside rear wheel when turning down minor inclines with nothing in the bucket. As a result, I always travel with the bucket near the ground to prevent excessive tipping before I can react by lowering the FEL. I also keep it in FWA when the FEL/bucket is attached to prevent quickly sliding down any incline that I might find myself on.

Caveat: I change and repair my own tires and have no provision for handling liquid ballast so do not use such. The 6060 does have two cast iron weights on each side and I do have the previously mentioned ballast box filled with unopened bags of playground sand that I can use with both the 6060 and my M9960.

Caution is advised.

SDT
Noted. I'll be careful.

ArtinAz

Equipment
L3901
Oct 24, 2019
Snowflake
Used the 4in1 heaps today.
Was levelling out a pad for a new shed. The pad is bounded of three sides by a fence, retaining wall and a 17m tower (10gb microwave link for internet).
So access is tight.

I had about 40 cubic meters of clay to push in. Did that with a combination of the bucket and dozing. Once most was in place removed the BH and put the box blade on. Moed a lot of clay around while levelling but the classic problem is the box blade hangs out the back and leaves a lot of distance between the dirt picked up and the obstacle (fence, tower, wall).
Simple with the 4in and box blade. Once the bucket gets to the wall, lift the box blade and back over the pile. Push the pile (dozing) with the 4in1.

Makes it simple in tight places.
Do you have a cb1060 on your bx23?

sansrue65

Equipment
LX2610
Dec 19, 2022
Anything to update here? I am interested to hear anything you have to add, if you got it and had a chance to use it yet.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
My "other" tractor is a Case 580M Backhoe with a 4-in-1 bucket on the front. OMG. I absolutely LOVE the 4-in-1 and not sure what I'd do without it. We bought some property about a year ago and we have been systematically clearing trees and shrubs and stacking them. Well the stack kept growing and turned out to be 1/2 football field sized pile stacked 4' high. This weekend we rented a commercial tree chipper (takes up to 12" diameter branches) and fed the entire pile through it. I was thinking it would take two days and ended up taking about a 1/2 day! The cadence that worked best for us was that I used the 580M (4-in-1) to grab "bunches" of material from the stack and bring it over to two helpers who were in charge of feeding the shredder. Anyway, we made short work of the pile that we had.

The other great part about the 4-in-1 is that once you get the hang of it you can pick up stuff pretty easily - items that trying to scoop them, you'd get a lot of unwanted dirt, etc. I was constantly picking up large boulders and root balls and plopping them into a dump trailer for disposal later.

Never used a grapple and I can imagine it is a very useful tool and likely does a better job than the 4-in-1. So, if you do this a lot - that's probably the right tool. However, there's times when having a similar capability with the bucket is just so darn convenient!
A- 4-N-1 on a Case 580 is somewhat rational.
A 4-N-1 on a small Kubota is a terrible idea!