How to properly shift gears in a L175

Diesel N8

Equipment
Kubota L175, Bush Hog.
Dec 27, 2016
Lincoln, California
Hey everyone I have been recently grinding gears on my L175, and usually in the High speed between gears 2-3-4 and I was wondering maybe I am not doing something right with engaging and disengaging the clutch or am I shifting too slow? Also another thing is that when I activate my PTO should I do that when the tractor is in neutral or is it fine if I am in gear already? I have also changed the tranny fluid with a walmart 5 gallon bucket that had the udt spec on it... I do need more fluid but now when I look in it the fluid level seems to go down and its sitting, anyways Thank you all!

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
Gears on a tractor are normally selected with the clutch depressed when the tractor is sitting still. You don't shift it like a car. The PTO is normally engaged while the tractor is stationary as well. There may be newer tractors synchronized for shifting on the fly but I've only been around standard transmissions in older models. My new tractor is HST. If you are using hydraulic accessories the transmission fluid will go down. It should be checked with the FEL lowered and the three point raised. This gets the maximum amount of fluid out of the cylinders and back into the reservoir. If it goes down while you're just sitting and watching it you should check for leaks.

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Hey everyone I have been recently grinding gears on my L175, and usually in the High speed between gears 2-3-4 and I was wondering maybe I am not doing something right with engaging and disengaging the clutch or am I shifting too slow? Also another thing is that when I activate my PTO should I do that when the tractor is in neutral or is it fine if I am in gear already? I have also changed the tranny fluid with a walmart 5 gallon bucket that had the udt spec on it... I do need more fluid but now when I look in it the fluid level seems to go down and its sitting, anyways Thank you all!
Like Roadworthy said, you don't shift gears like a car, you pick a gear and stay with it till you stop. If you need a higher or lower gear you will need to stop shift into that gear then go in that gear.

Are you checking the hydraulic oil level via the level plug on the side of the transmission case?

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
The pto can be engaged when the tractor is in gear but then when you let the clutch out you are needing power to the drive wheels and the pto implement so you may need to give it a little more fuel as you get going.

If the pto implement is a mower then I suggest you NOT be in gear, then engage the PTO, release the clutch to apply power to the PTO (but not to drive wheels) the adjust the engine speed to raise the PTO speed and get the implement up to speed. The push clutch in, engage drive gears and then take off. The implement will stay at nearly rated speed and will cut better for the first few feet of travel.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Diesel N8

Equipment
Kubota L175, Bush Hog.
Dec 27, 2016
Lincoln, California
Gears on a tractor are normally selected with the clutch depressed when the tractor is sitting still. You don't shift it like a car. The PTO is normally engaged while the tractor is stationary as well. There may be newer tractors synchronized for shifting on the fly but I've only been around standard transmissions in older models. My new tractor is HST. If you are using hydraulic accessories the transmission fluid will go down. It should be checked with the FEL lowered and the three point raised. This gets the maximum amount of fluid out of the cylinders and back into the reservoir. If it goes down while you're just sitting and watching it you should check for leaks.
The only hydraulics I have for it is a three point and with a mower connected to it, but I see my problem is that I need to do a complete stop before shifting so that's my fault there. I did have it work for 50 hours before I noticed the fluid would go down so it can be a potential leak.

Diesel N8

Equipment
Kubota L175, Bush Hog.
Dec 27, 2016
Lincoln, California
Like Roadworthy said, you don't shift gears like a car, you pick a gear and stay with it till you stop. If you need a higher or lower gear you will need to stop shift into that gear then go in that gear.

Are you checking the hydraulic oil level via the level plug on the side of the transmission case?
I actually just look through the top filling hole when I first got new fluid in it and it was visible but not now.

Diesel N8

Equipment
Kubota L175, Bush Hog.
Dec 27, 2016
Lincoln, California
The pto can be engaged when the tractor is in gear but then when you let the clutch out you are needing power to the drive wheels and the pto implement so you may need to give it a little more fuel as you get going.

If the pto implement is a mower then I suggest you NOT be in gear, then engage the PTO, release the clutch to apply power to the PTO (but not to drive wheels) the adjust the engine speed to raise the PTO speed and get the implement up to speed. The push clutch in, engage drive gears and then take off. The implement will stay at nearly rated speed and will cut better for the first few feet of travel.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
You are correct, when the PTO is activated the rpms drop so it does take some power, so get the PTO activated first if anything is attached but in neutral, and then put it in gear after gotcha.. also when the tractor is cold should I not use the hydraulics for a few minutes?

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
When the tractor is cold it's best to let it run a few minutes to begin circulating and warming the hydraulic fluid. When checking fluid level be sure to do it with the three point all the way up. Different models of tractors have different methods of checking hydraulic fluid level. Some use a dipstick, some use a sight glass, and some rely on pulling a plug from the side of the transmission. You'd have to check your manual for the proper method on your tractor.

Diesel N8

Equipment
Kubota L175, Bush Hog.
Dec 27, 2016
Lincoln, California
When the tractor is cold it's best to let it run a few minutes to begin circulating and warming the hydraulic fluid. When checking fluid level be sure to do it with the three point all the way up. Different models of tractors have different methods of checking hydraulic fluid level. Some use a dipstick, some use a sight glass, and some rely on pulling a plug from the side of the transmission. You'd have to check your manual for the proper method on your tractor.
Yes on my kubota it uses a plug on the side of the tranny. When warming up should I just let it idle or drive the thing but without using the hydraulics?

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Yes on my kubota it uses a plug on the side of the tranny. When warming up should I just let it idle or drive the thing but without using the hydraulics?

It’s best to just let it idle until stuff gets warmed up. Every machine works better that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Diesel N8

Equipment
Kubota L175, Bush Hog.
Dec 27, 2016
Lincoln, California
Alright thank you all for the input given to me, I had no idea what to do hahaha but gladly now I do. I will be executing this information the next time I use it and hopefully have less wear and damage done to the tractor as well.

gssixgun

Equipment
L3600, FEL, SnoBlower, Box Blade, Rear Blade, Forks, Cultivator, Plow
Jan 5, 2013
Sandpoint ID
www.gemstarcustoms.com
I am pretty sure the L175 has a Clutch PTO I remember my L185 did

That makes it a little harder to move and stop with a Spinning Implement, you kinda have to THINK before moving

shootem604

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L245DT with Kubota (Arps Model 22) FEL and Kubota B/L4520B (Woods 650) BH
Apr 23, 2018
British Columbia
Yep, put an overrunning clutch on my L245 after I found this out with the bushog...