BX25D wiring

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
I was thinking about adding a voltmeter to my little guy. Of course, I want it to operate only then the tractor key is on and have it fed from a fused source.

I was looking at the wiring to the fuse box. There are two wires leaving it, Red with Yellow stripes for work lights (that I do not have nor will I have, AFAIK). I assume both go back and are under the seat?

Am I correct in assuming there is no 'loose pair' under the dash?

My point is I do not want to 'hack in' to the OEM harness if possible. I could solder a pigtail to that pair of Red with Yellow stripe in the fuse box and ground to a convenient bolt. But I'd like to go more 'factory' if that can be done.

Also, the fuse box has just six fuses but is large enough for four more. Any way (parts source) to upgrade it? I'd need the pins, cover and a larger red separator

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
The easiest way, save for studying the wiring diagram is to use the "Add a Circuit," device.

It plugs into where an existing fuse is and adds another circuit while still maintaining the original circuit.

Because you get to select the fuse amperage for your voltmeter, choose the smallest one you can find.

Using an existing circuit limits your protection to a likely much larger fuse.

Dave

Attachments

jkcolo22

Equipment
BX25D
Jan 5, 2017
Castle Rock, Colorado
If you can find one that fits the add a circuit will work. I couldn’t. If I remember correctly, the BX uses micro fuses and I couldn’t find a corresponding micro add a fuse/circuit. If you are really set on not splicing into the factory harness, you could just extend the work light wire from under/behind the seat back to the front. Either way, I’d use a relay, and pull voltage direct from battery and then use your Key-On wire as the control that “turns on” your voltmeter. Personally, I would just splice into that work light wire and either solder/heat shrink or use waterproof solder&seal connectors and then either wrap with Super 33+ or liquid electrical tape. Done properly, such a connection will outlast the tractor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
William -

I'm of no help with the voltmeter, but if you are looking for the worklight circuit, many BX's seems to have the ends taped up just to the left of the top link mount for the 3PH.

It came up just last day or two, and the new BX had it in the same spot as my older one. That one had blue tape; mine was black electrical tape, but it was easily found.

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
you could also just plug a voltmeter into the auxiliary power outlet (cigarette lighter outlet).

jkcolo22

Equipment
BX25D
Jan 5, 2017
Castle Rock, Colorado
William -

I'm of no help with the voltmeter, but if you are looking for the worklight circuit, many BX's seems to have the ends taped up just to the left of the top link mount for the 3PH.

It came up just last day or two, and the new BX had it in the same spot as my older one. That one had blue tape; mine was black electrical tape, but it was easily found.

Good catch- I assumed the OP knew that those wires just dead end behind the seat. But maybe not after re-reading the post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dlsmith

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2230, LA211
Nov 15, 2018
Goshen, IN
Not sure what the fuse block on your BX25D looks like, but on my BX2230, there were 4 fuses in a 6 position block. I pulled a fuse and released one of the terminals, got a picture of it. I found matching terminals on Del City's site and ordered a few. When I got them I crimped them on my wires and just snapped them into place in one of the empty positions. Works perfect to power my Tiny Tach.

Here is a link: https://www.delcity.net/store/ATO-Fuse-Modules/p_820372.h_820385

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
Thanks for all the replies.

Sadly, none are what I really want. I wanted a 'factory setup.' What I'll end up doing is soldering a connection to the 20 amp pin inside the fuse box, terminating with a double female bullet connector (standard Japanese style). Then the voltmeter will pull the positive from that and the other end of the voltmeter will terminate in a ring connector. This will leave a spare connection to the 20 amp fuse should I ever need access.

Too bad Kubota does not leave a pigtail under the dash. No biggie.:cool:

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
Completed today.

PITA. I removed and installed the fuse box three times. One removal/install was because I neglected to put the back cover on, the third time was because the point I chose to use for ground, was not accessible with the fuse box in place. I have gotten very good at R&R'ing it.

Voltmeter is just above the 'grass screen' on the vertical plastic to the left and just below the 'ignition' switch. Only spot with a large enough area and would also tend to shed water. There was a little more space left of the steering wheel on that section but I did not want to run wires across. I am OK with the location as it is not something that needs to be watched, just occasionally checked.

Battery is under 12V engine off, up to rock stable 14.4 with the engine running irrespctive of rpm of stock load (lights). With the low voltage, I am a bit surprised it still starts reliably. New battery in October probably.

Last edited: