L3400 fuel issue

05l3400

Equipment
L3400
Nov 18, 2017
ontario
Hi all, new here!
My 2005 L3400 with 600 hrs is acting up. It's hard to start and acts like its starved of fuel. I changed the fuel filter, bled the lines as per the manual.
Starts then runs for a few minutes and the fuel level goes to bottom of filter, engine dies, fuel then refills to top of filter as per normal then hard to start.
Doesn't matter how many times I bleed the lines it continues to happen.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

J

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Hi all, new here!
My 2005 L3400 with 600 hrs is acting up. It's hard to start and acts like its starved of fuel. I changed the fuel filter, bled the lines as per the manual.
Starts then runs for a few minutes and the fuel level goes to bottom of filter, engine dies, fuel then refills to top of filter as per normal then hard to start.

J
Where in Ontario?

Your tractor will have what is often referred to as a lift pump. It can be a mechanical pump or an electrical pump. Its job is to feed the injection pump.

A quick look on the Messick's site leads me to think you have a mechanical lift pump on the side of the engine. It may be near the injection pump.

Sometimes when these pumps fail, diesel fuel enters the crankcase and raises the oil level and dilutes the oil reducing the engine protection.

Post some pictures of both sides of your engine.

Ebay.com shows this pump for your engine.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fuel-Lift-...ash=item4b1a222ae9:g:LqAAAOSwz71ZSOFZ&vxp=mtr

Dave

Last edited:

1970cs

Apr 26, 2016
Grand Ledge
How fast does the fuel cup re-fill? It could be a restriction before the fuel filter i.e. algae or debris in the tank causing slow fuel flow.

Pat

mickeyd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2014 L3200 DT w/LA524 FEL, 2019 Kubota Z121S w/ 48" Pro Dec, TG1860G w/RCK54TG
Mar 21, 2014
Guin, AL
Also, it could be a buildup in the tank that is blocking the fuel line. Since the fuel level drops in the filter bowl, it doesn't sounds as much of a pump problem as blockage problem.

mdhughes

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901DT
Dec 10, 2014
Ste Geneveive county, MO
Hi all, new here!

J
Sound a lot like the problem I was having with my L3901, it turned out to be stuff at the bottom of the tank getting sucked in the line and blocking it. I don't know what the design of the tanks are on the L3400, but the L3901 it is hard to get to the area where the outlet is. Good luck on cleaning it out!

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
My first thought is what the other guys are saying.....fuel line/tank restriction.

IF - and that is a big if, the line comes off the bottom of the tank - pull line and see how it "pees" - if to does not come out in a steady full stream....you found your problem. Or pull the line off pre pump and check there.

05l3400

Equipment
L3400
Nov 18, 2017
ontario
I'm just outside of Ottawa. Ill post pics after I clear snow......by hand .....
The fuel bowl takes 10 sec or so to refill.
Tank appears to have a line off the bottom right side that enters the filter housing from the left. Im assuming that is the fill line and not the one that attaches from the top/
I am not familiar with power service but how do I clean the tank once I empty it?

Last edited:

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I'm just outside of Ottawa. Ill post pics after I clear snow......by hand .....
The fuel bowl takes 10 sec or so to refill.
Tank appears to have a line off the bottom right side that enters the filter housing from the left. Im assuming that is the fill line and not the one that attaches from the top/
I am not familiar with power service but how do I clean the tank once I empty it?
If you are not familiar with Power source.....go to your local "wal-mart" ot other place and buy some!!! Great stuff!

Now - if you remove the line...and it comes out, it should come out a good stream, then if/when it does not - take a small piece of wire, bend the edge over so not to have a bur on it - stick up line - probe a little and HOPE it is algae!!! IF algae that can be fixed, if something foreign.......that is gonna be a sum-beauch:) you will need to remove tank, I have no idea what that will entail in removing ;)

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Teg...
that looks almost too simple!:D:)

wish a BX was like that !:D

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Some guys have popped the disconnected fuel line with a shot of air back toward the tank, and cleared it.

Not sure I would do that too heavy-handed....just sayin'.....

Huttond

Equipment
BX25D+Scraper blade+front snow blower+box blade
Nov 6, 2013
Canada
I'm in Portland ON and had the same issue. When I siphoned to tank a small leaf came out. Problem resolved :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

05l3400

Equipment
L3400
Nov 18, 2017
ontario
Unfortunately clearing the line and the tank did not fix the issue.
Fuel flows nicely from the tank but same issue at startup: fuel bowl slow to fill and quick to empty.

My thought is the only thing I have not changed is the the fuel filter housing. Are those able to be cleaned or should I just order a new one as my filter didn't come as an assembly just the filter.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Unfortunately clearing the line and the tank did not fix the issue.
Fuel flows nicely from the tank but same issue at startup: fuel bowl slow to fill and quick to empty.

My thought is the only thing I have not changed is the the fuel filter housing. Are those able to be cleaned or should I just order a new one as my filter didn't come as an assembly just the filter.
Time for some bypass surgery.

Buy some hose, a cheap filter like for a gas engine, approx 4$, and bypass your filter assembly. The cheap filter is just to protect your injection pump during this test.

Then if it runs well, you can take apart your filter housing and post some photos of its internals. There has to be a partial blockage, perhaps by ice since you are near Ottawa and it has been cold and snowy.

p.s. Is your filter assembly like the one I have pasted below. If so is it possible you are putting the filter element in upside down?

Dave

Last edited:

mdhughes

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901DT
Dec 10, 2014
Ste Geneveive county, MO
Does the fuel come out of the supply line faster than it did in the picture you uploaded since you cleaned the tank out?

Have you tried it with the fuel tank cap off?

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
The inlet port of your filter housing is plugged, the debris could not make it thru the 90 degree turn. Pull of the supply hose, unscrew your filter cup and shoot some compressed air into the passage backwards.

Put the supply hose on to inlet nipple and see that you have a good flow thru the head. Screw the cup back on, bleed it and go play.

05l3400

Equipment
L3400
Nov 18, 2017
ontario
Super thx. thought there was a one way valve in there that stops fuel flow when off for filter replacement . Didn't know if cleaning it would ruin the valve.

rentthis

Lifetime Member
May 30, 2012
summerville,sc
I have, in the past, had problems with that style fuel filter body. The fittings where the hoses attach to it get loose and allow it to suck air. Check and see it the fittings will turn easily. When mine got loose, I resealed them with JB weld around the base of the fittings. They went back to work. That repair proved to be temporary in that the engine vibration rebroke it. In the last few years, Kubota started using a new design. Probably not your problem but well worth checking. The symptoms are identical.