L2250 - Major Oil Leak

wingmoto

Equipment
L2250 Loader and Backhoe
Mar 8, 2014
Bow
Hi everyone, I did some searching but didn't really see anything like my problem. I was working my tractor pretty hard today when suddenly I saw large amounts of oil coming from the overflow on the top of the motor on the left hand side of the tractor. Upon further inspection, I noticed my hydraulic oil was not even registering on the gauge, but hydraulics appeared to be operating normally. I stopped the tractor immediately...
I was poking around and this is what I am seeing:
- coolant is full, nice and green.
- No blow by evidence
- (now this is strange :)) -- pulled oil dip-stick and oil came gushing out of it... like crazy amounts.

What was coming out of the overflow was black. It's been about 30 or so hours since servicing and I checked the oil level a few weeks ago and it was perfect.

What would cause this? I am suspecting that my hydraulic oil has somehow leaked into the motor oil... Not sure how or why, but it is the only thing my little brain can muster up...

My next thought was to drain both the motor oil and hydraulic oil completely and refill. My fear though is if it is doing this, I will only be pouring my money into the ground.

Thoughts?

Thank you for your help... Much appreciated.

dmanlyr

Equipment
L3200, Hustler Super Z
May 30, 2012
Graham, WA
Most likely your hydraulic pump seal has failed and the hydraulic oil is being pushed into the crankcase.

David

wingmoto

Equipment
L2250 Loader and Backhoe
Mar 8, 2014
Bow
Hi David,
I'm still getting into a grove with this tractor! :D

I will check that and order one if that's the issue.

Thank you for such a quick response.

Matt W.

wingmoto

Equipment
L2250 Loader and Backhoe
Mar 8, 2014
Bow
No shop manual, definitely on my buy list, but never think of it when I don't actually need it! :eek:

So,I have the hydraulic pump out of the tractor. I don't see any seals though. What I do see is a bearing, am I missing something? Could someone aide me in finding the seal on this?

I really should buy the manual.

Thanks again!

Attachments

wingmoto

Equipment
L2250 Loader and Backhoe
Mar 8, 2014
Bow
Great! Yes, I did see that, it looked like it was part of the bearing! The part should be here today, so hopefully have it back together tonight!

Thank you very much. You guys are awesome!

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
You are replacing the pump and not just changing the seal I hope..
The seal failed from too much side play in the pump, if you replace just the seal, it will soon blow again.

wingmoto

Equipment
L2250 Loader and Backhoe
Mar 8, 2014
Bow
Sorry it took so long to close this out. I got the seal replaced last weekend, no play in the pump. A chunk of the seal was torn completely away. We will see if it holds, if not, I will get a new pump. Check out the pic! That was not tool damage!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
In some scenarios, that seal is just a result of an internal pump failure, have seen things like that before. Case pressure climbs til seal fails. And if it filled crankcase that quick, then you want to keep an eye on it. My old clark forklift pump seal started seeping, but it took months to fill crankcase. Could be seal got really hot and just failed. Only one way to find out.

wingmoto

Equipment
L2250 Loader and Backhoe
Mar 8, 2014
Bow
Yah, we will have to see. My local dealer (friend works there too) said that a rebuild kit is not available. That said, I have a local hydraulic shop next to my office that may be able to do it cheaper than a new pump. We will see an I am keeping a tight eye on it. It happened all of a sudden, it's not like I use it even weekly. I think I overloaded the bucket (tugging and stacking logs, some VERY large.

You guys have been great. Thank you. I hope that I can contribute to the forum some day (give more than take).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk