converting a trailer

Jetech

Equipment
B2601
Feb 13, 2018
Iowa
My neighbor has a 14' tandem axle stock trailer for sale. It is rusted at the side walls where they meet the floor. The frame looks solid. It will need new wheels, tires and brakes.
He asked if I would be interested in cutting the top off and converting it to haul my B2601.
Is this a worthwhile project considering the time involved if I can get it for a low price?

I can add a square tube rail around the front and sides along with a pair of ramps.

bcp

Equipment
BX2360
Apr 20, 2011
SW WA
The frame may look good, but "whatever" rusted the sides might have worked on the frame, too.

Add the price of the trailer, new wheels, tires, bearings, brakes, and your modifications, then compare that to a new or slightly used trailer for your needs. I suspect it will be close.

Bruce

Jetech

Equipment
B2601
Feb 13, 2018
Iowa
The best I can tell the frame is just normal surface rust. The trailer was used to haul cattle so most of the lower sheet metal on the sides near the floor is rusted through in places.

I have never taken on a large trailer project so I am in the research stage. I figure about $900 in parts not counting any steel.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Up here tire/rim is 100 Canucks, brakes 50. 4x100+2*50 so $500. Trailers usually only have 1 axle with brakes. Even if you double it for steel, lights, etc. still a LOT cheaper than any 'car hauler' up here. Besides it'd make a fun 'Winter project' !

vic gerbasi

Equipment
M110 L3300
Feb 19, 2016
dugald mb canada
lots of work in this damned cold weather best to go slightly used newer one the floor in cattle haulers is generally rusted if it is not wood even then the wood floor should be replaced

Jetech

Equipment
B2601
Feb 13, 2018
Iowa
Up here tire/rim is 100 Canucks, brakes 50. 4x100+2*50 so $500. Trailers usually only have 1 axle with brakes. Even if you double it for steel, lights, etc. still a LOT cheaper than any 'car hauler' up here. Besides it'd make a fun 'Winter project' !
I figure roughly $500 for wheels and tires, $55 for lights, $50 for rear jacks, and $200 for fenders if I buy them. I will have to look at the brakes, he said they work. Then there are tie downs and other small items.

Jetech

Equipment
B2601
Feb 13, 2018
Iowa
lots of work in this damned cold weather best to go slightly used newer one the floor in cattle haulers is generally rusted if it is not wood even then the wood floor should be replaced
The floor is wood. It has been protected with stall mats and looks pretty good. I would post pictures but I don't have a Photobucket account anymore.

I agree about the cold, there is no rush so I could wait for spring and spend the winter gathering parts.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Unless you're just looking for a project, or get it free, I'd pass. Cattle waste has deteriorated the sides and more underneath. Once you get to the frame you'll be surprised what at what needs replaced to have a nice trailer.

Look on Craig's List in your area for trailers. This took me about two minutes to locate this in Des Moines. https://desmoines.craigslist.org/grd/d/waukee-16ft-utility-trailer/7014762775.html

Trailers similar to this are easy to find, and can be bought in the neighborhood of $1200.

If you really want a project find someone selling a boat trailer with tandem axles, and modify it. No rust, you can see what you're buying, not much to make it work for you.

Jetech

Equipment
B2601
Feb 13, 2018
Iowa
Thanks for the reply. I haven't started looking at used trailers yet to compare price but the one you posted would be hard to beat compared to the work needing to be done on the stock trailer.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Unless you're 100% qualified or know someone, stay away from aluminum or galvanised trailers ! BOTH require special welding techniques and equipment. Sure they look 'pretty' when new, but overload them or drive on rough roads and repears will be expensive !
'boat' trailers aren't designed for hauling anything but boats.usually minimal thin rolled tin for the frame,everything is bolted on to be adjustable, very light duty brakes and springs..... I see a lot of them, 'modifed' for 'utility' use. Guys want me to fix them as I design/build trailers.

Jay

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
Aluminum trailers are lighter than steel BUT are expensive to repair as you need $$$mig welder, $$$ Al wire, and SKILL. They also don't take shock loads like steel can, so tend to fracture.... fail. Aluminum is attacked by road salt( look at car rims....), OK,steel rusts.. aluminum corrodes..

Galvanised trailers,again need special welding operations especially a fresh air mask/helmut. Fumes are TOXIC !!

Jetech

Equipment
B2601
Feb 13, 2018
Iowa
Aluminum trailers are lighter than steel BUT are expensive to repair as you need $$$mig welder, $$$ Al wire, and SKILL. They also don't take shock loads like steel can, so tend to fracture.... fail. Aluminum is attacked by road salt( look at car rims....), OK,steel rusts.. aluminum corrodes..

Galvanised trailers,again need special welding operations especially a fresh air mask/helmut. Fumes are TOXIC !!
Yep dealt with aluminum quite a bit in the aircraft industry, but never in a trailer application. Corrossion is a constant battle and fatigue is its enemy.

PHPaul

Equipment
B2650, Pronovost snow blower, Landpride rotary mower, Howard tiller, box blade
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com
I'd also be a little concerned about construction, specifically whether or not the sides and roof (which you are going to remove) were part of the load-bearing design of the frame.

Jetech

Equipment
B2601
Feb 13, 2018
Iowa
I'd also be a little concerned about construction, specifically whether or not the sides and roof (which you are going to remove) were part of the load-bearing design of the frame.
Good point. The frame looks to be 3" angle ( I didn't crawl under and look, just snapped a picture). I bet the side wall's provide stiffness. I would probably have to weld a 16" to 24" rail wall on the front and sides.

D2Cat has me reconsidering the project and looking for a used trailer already designed for the purpose.

I like a good project but I think I would have to get the trailer for free to make it cost effective.