RC60-71B Mower Deck Tensioner Not Taking Grease

JerryC999

Equipment
B7100HST
Aug 16, 2014
Simpsonville, KY
Advice Needed: Just doing spring maintenance on my mower, and I can't get grease to go into the tensioner pulley (see picture). I pulled the zerk, and grease goes through it, but when I put it back on, nothing flows. Old dried grease in there?

Do I take it off (nut on top) - and if so, how and what happens? Any complexities to that?

I don't really want to put a torch to it to heat it up and burn all that paint. Just need to get some grease in there so I can mow this weekend.

Last edited:

Diydave

Equipment
L2202 tractor, L185f tractor
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA
I'd take the fitting off, pick out and dried grease, fill as full as possible, with Kroil, and then try lubing with one of these on the grease gun:

https://youtu.be/A5uccLIC99w

Its the best $30 you can spend.

Even if this particular fitting/part is fried, usually the locknlube gets the grease movin...:D:D

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Does the pivot move or is it seized up? I also have the lock n lube, money well spent.
I second the lock-n-lube, and replace the zerk - if you really want to spend the time, take a awl or small nail and tap on the ball of the zerk and then re-grease

procraftmike

Equipment
1977 B7100DT w/B219 FEL
Jan 27, 2016
Neenah, WI
Take the belt off to relieve tension, see if the pulley spins freely. Try greasing it while you turn the pulley. I have had some success with this method in the past.

Diydave

Equipment
L2202 tractor, L185f tractor
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA

JerryC999

Equipment
B7100HST
Aug 16, 2014
Simpsonville, KY
Thanks, all! Lots of votes for the LockNLube (how come that thing isn't standard equipment by now??). I will give all these suggestions a shot, including taking off the belt and moving it around and the Kroil if necessary. It is not frozen - it still moves and works fine. Just want to keep it that way.

I will let you know.

JerryC999

Equipment
B7100HST
Aug 16, 2014
Simpsonville, KY
remove the belt, remove the nut, lift off the pivot arm, clean, reassemble and lube
Well, I did manage to get some grease in there by removing the zerk, squirting some Liquid Wrench in there, replacing the zerk, moving it around while using the grease gun - got grease out the top like you should.

However, knowing that there certainly is old, dried grease in there still, I do need to disassemble and clean and redo.

Thanks all.