Engine Stop Solenoid not working - L48

jgoodma1

Equipment
L48
Aug 5, 2017
Raleigh, NC, USA
I posted back in January about this and I am still having problems. My L48 backhoe is now starting only occasionally. The problem has become worse over the last month, and now it almost never starts. I can clearly hear the stop solenoid click when it is working, and the motor starts right up. In the past, the motor would sometimes not start.....and there was no solenoid click.....and I'd let it sit 5 minutes and it would start and run all day. Now, if it starts, it may run for a couple of hours or it may die right in the middle of going up the driveway. And then, it will not start no matter how long I let it sit. A few days ago, I bought a new stop solenoid and installed it. I turned the key, heard the click, and it started right up. I turned it off 15 minutes later, and tried to restart it and there was no click and no start. 5 minutes later it clicked and started and ran the rest of the day, so I thought maybe I just had not turned the key all the way or something. Then the next day, it started right up, and I drove it 200 feet up my driveway and it died in the middle of the driveway. I had no way to move it and we could not go around it. I took the old solenoid, and sawed off the fuel stop rod, and took the new solenoid out and reinstalled the old one, and the motor started right up, so I know for certain that the solenoid is not actuating the stop rod. I now was able to move the machine. I was picking up debris along my driveway, so I kept the machine on the driveway and kept it running for several hours. I killed it by removing the air filters and blocking off the air intake with some folded up heavy-duty trash bags.

That's where I am now. I'm a rookie mechanic and electrical problems give me fits. I have the workshop manual, but I can't decipher everything in the schematic. In the manual, it says if the motor cranks but doesn't start, that the problem is the solenoid. Oh, and I also have a 1-year old key switch and I removed that and it looks brand new. Plus, all the electrical system works when the key switch is turned on. So, I'm guessing the key switch is still good.

So, I have a bunch of questions:

1. First, I want to get a clear answer to a question I have about information I see flying around a lot. QUESTON: If any of the safety switches is bad, my understanding is that the starter motor will not even crank, is that correct?

2. QUESTION: My starter motor always cranks, so does that mean that the safety switches have nothing to do with the function of the stop solenoid and I should not bother testing the safety switches?

3. QUESTION: Is there or is there not a relay that is connected to the stop solenoid? There is no mention of one in the service manual and I am too much of an idiot to tell if the schematic is showing a relay connected to the stop solenoid or not.

4. All the fuses are good and I have cleaned all the blades on the fuses with a brass brush. However, I unscrewed the fuse block and looked at the back, and there is some corrosion where one of the heavier gauge wires is attached to the back of the fuse block. I don't have a place indoors to store the machine, but I keep the cockpit and dashboard covered when I'm not using it. It would be good if I could replace the fuse block. QUESTION: Is there any way to clean the fuse block? Could I use baking soda like you can use on a battery terminal? QUESTION: How do you replace the fuse block? I can't figure out how you remove the wires from the back of the block. Are they soldered in place? QUESTION: Or, is the fuse block attached to the wiring harness, and you have to replace the whole harness?

5. On other forums, it's been suggested that it is a grounding problem. QUESTION: The rest of the electrical system works fine, and the starter motor cranks great, so I'm presuming it is not a battery grounding problem, is that correct? QUESTION: Exactly what would I be looking for if it is a ground problem? The solenoid itself is bolted to the engine, so that can't be it. Where would there be another ground that would be affecting the solenoid?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
1: and 2: yes you could have an intermittent safety switch, and not all of them will effect start or run.

3: Without being able to look at your exact wiring schematic, most of these systems will have a relay and an OPC (occupancy controller) and either or both could be bad.

4: Use electric contact cleaner, no baking soda will not help, it's not acid corrosion.
Yes the wires are soldered into the fuse block.

5. It could be bad or intermittent ground connections to the supporting systems like relays and or OPC that will cut power to the Stop solenoid.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
One thing to keep in mind with the stop solenoid and that is, when it's failing, it will 'ratchet' for lack of a better description. I know, I just replaced one on my M9. It's electro magnetic so when it fails, it won't pull the stop rod and 'sounds like a little jackhammer.

They are all over flea-bay and Amazon but I got the OEM unit because the aftermarket ones are all Chinese and I question the quality of the part.

They don't just up and fail, it happens slowly.

jgoodma1

Equipment
L48
Aug 5, 2017
Raleigh, NC, USA
Thanks to both you guys.....very helpful. I’m determined to learn how to diagnose this problem. I’ve watched some videos on YouTube today on how to track down circuit problems in cars and got some good info from them. A key to not flying blind was being able to decipher the schematic (pretty obvious). If I posted a scan of the schematic, could Wolfman tell me if there is a relay between the key switch and the stop solenoid?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jim L.

Jun 18, 2014
Texas
If you post a readable schematic, several folks could respond.

Because the L48 schematic is not readily available your issue is getting addressed more slowly.

200mph

Equipment
L4740-3 Cab, FEL, Fnt Snow Blower L2185, LP Finish Mower, LP Rotary Mower
Mar 3, 2017
PA
When posting scans of the wiring diagram, please verify the resolution is sufficient to see the detail of the schematic. It might be necessary to post the complete drawing and then a series of closeups.

I've seen too many users post pictures that were useless in seeing the necessary detail to be of any assistance.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Just off of the schematic that Steve A. posted (Thank you!) there is nothing in line with the stop solenoid, just the key switch and the 10 amp fuse.

But.... I'm worried as there are 2 different model variations of the L48's and the second variation has another controller in it for an added seat switch, I don't know how that controller works in this case, maybe not at all, but it could play a role.

jgoodma1

Equipment
L48
Aug 5, 2017
Raleigh, NC, USA
Attached are the 3 pages of the electrical schematic for my Kubota L48. They are at the highest resolution that I was able to set and still have them not be larger than the allowable file size for uploading. If you need more detail of any part, let me know and I will zoom and scan that particular part of the schematic. I really appreciate everyone''s help.

Attachments

jgoodma1

Equipment
L48
Aug 5, 2017
Raleigh, NC, USA
Just off of the schematic that Steve A. posted (Thank you!) there is nothing in line with the stop solenoid, just the key switch and the 10 amp fuse.

But.... I'm worried as there are 2 different model variations of the L48's and the second variation has another controller in it for an added seat switch, I don't know how that controller works in this case, maybe not at all, but it could play a role.
I bought the machine used from a rental company and I discovered that they bypassed the seat safety switch. Attached are photos of the switch and the bypass they did that I have not hooked back up. Just thinking about it now as I took these pictures, the ends of the terminals used for the bypass are exposed and just lying on the deck that the seat attaches to. If part of those metal terminals are touching the chassis, could that possibly be the problem? But if they were touching, the chassis, wouldn't that cause a short and blow a fuse? (that is not happening....the fuses are all good). The machine is a 2004 model year.

Attachments

jgoodma1

Equipment
L48
Aug 5, 2017
Raleigh, NC, USA
I bought the machine used from a rental company and I discovered that they bypassed the seat safety switch. Attached are photos of the switch and the bypass they did that I have not hooked back up.

Just thinking about it now as I took these pictures, the ends of the terminals used for the bypass are exposed and just lying on the steel deck that the seat frame attaches to. If part of those metal terminals are touching the chassis, could that possibly be the problem? But if they were touching, the chassis, wouldn't that cause a short and blow a fuse? (that is not happening....the fuses are all good). The machine is a 2004 model year.

Attachments

Jim L.

Jun 18, 2014
Texas
Steve A., thanks for the schematic.

jgoodma1, my summary of your symptoms:
1) Starts only occasionally
2) Stop solenoid clicks when it is working
3) May die when running and will not restart
4) When you take the stop solenoid out of the picture the machine works

The starter relay coil is grounded through the safety switches.

The key stop solenoid has a pull-in coil and a hold coil. Grounding is through the frame.

The hold path goes thru the stop solenoid connector (2 pin) thru a 6 pin connector thru a 10A fuse thru a 4 pin connector thru a 3 pin connector at the key switch.

Here is what you might do. Disconnect the battery. On the starter, a small black/white wire to the S terminal, disconnect it. (It's the starter signal).

Disconnect the key stop solenoid connector. You are interested in the 2 pins in that connector on the wire harness side. Rig up some sort of test lamp, one to each pin, with the other sides of the test lamps to ground. 12VDC test lamps or other indicator.

Reconnect the battery. When you put the key switch to Start both test lamps should be ON. When you release the Key Switch to ON one lamp should be lit. If not, then you are not getting power to the Key Stop Solenoid.

You now work your way up the path til you find the problem. Visual and voltmeter or test lamp.

The fuse block can be cleaned with Electronic Contact Cleaner which you can get at an auto parts store or discount house.

Be careful when probing contacts to not deform the pins.

How does that sound?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
jgoodma1,
Sorry to tell you but that WSM has the wrong schematics for your tractor.
How do I know...No seat switch in any of the schematics.

The seat switch controls the stop solenoid Via a controller and a relay, get out of the seat with the HST pedal engaged and the tractor dies, have the PTO engaged and get out of the seat and the tractor dies.

I can tell you you have a newer wiring setup on your tractor that has another controller in it, and the wiring is much more complex than the Wiring diagram you have.

On the last page of the WSM is a Part number, can you give me that number.
I'm only finding one part# for the WSM for the L48's but I know the wiring changed mid model.

Yes bare connections on the jumper could very well be causing all your issues, I'm not sure if that is a ground sensing loop or a hot loop.

If it's ground sensing then shorting to ground could trip it and thus dies.

So start pulling the connections apart make sure they are clean and solid, reassemble and then wrap up the connections so they cant short to ground.

Last edited:

jgoodma1

Equipment
L48
Aug 5, 2017
Raleigh, NC, USA
Wolfman, thank you too for all that information. I have emailed Kubota to see if I can get the correct schematic. Meanwhile, attached are images of the back cover of my manual (and it has a print date of 2000, so that would indeed be an old version) and an image of my serial number. Also, I went onto Messicks and downloaded the wiring diagrams for "old type" and "new type", just as you said there were. I'm going to try to go through the wiring harness using those diagrams to at least make sure that my connections are tight. I bought some DeOxit D5 contact cleaner to clean my fuse block and all connections that I mess with. I have a Power Probe III circuit tester and a Power Probe ECT3000 short circuit detector coming that should be here Monday, and I'll start trying to find the problem. I appreciate yours and everyone else's help.

Attachments