Piranha tooth bar install

mdhughes

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901DT
Dec 10, 2014
Ste Geneveive county, MO
I order a Piranha tooth bar 11-Sep-2016 and it arrived 18-Sep-2016. I installed it 24-Sep-2016.

The fingers that hold the tooth bar in line with the bucket edge do touch all the way across:

But they do on the ends:

Has anyone else had this problem? I when to bxpanded.com and used their contact us page, but I haven't heard anything back from them.

I wondering if this will cause any problems using the tooth bar?

Attachments

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Loosen both bolt/nuts. Take a BFH and a piece of wood and smack the hell out of the tip of the blade straight back towards the bucket. Do it on both sides.

Each cutting edge is a wee bit different and the cut-out they use must fit all different edges. Seating yours back a hair will "lock" it into place, might not look perfect, but it will be as tight as it can be.

After you get it good and dirty - you won't see those gaps!:D;)::)

bdale

Jul 24, 2016
N.C.
I went down and bought one brought it home and it is the same way,I think the reason they are like that is to allow it to wear to your bucket edge, reason for the elongated hole where it is bolted to your bucket , so you can loosen and adjust it back for wear. Also says something to this affect in the mounting instructions about drilling the hole at 1/8 inch from back of slotted hole to leave room for adjustment. I think your good to go.

Last edited:

bambam31

Equipment
L3800HST 4x4,R1,FEL, 6'disc, 5'bush hog,piranhaTB,6'grader,6'rake, 48"forks
Apr 3, 2014
Mobile, AL
Loosen the bolts and put a 2x4 across the teeth. Beat it with a hammer. It should seat against the bucket edge. Then re-tighten the bolts.

Thorny

Equipment
L2501 HST, 4x4, FEL, front snow blade, rotary cutter, box blade
Sep 24, 2016
Mountains of CO
why beat on it? loosen the end bolts, tip the bucket edge into the dirt, lift the front tires in the air, then tighten the bolts. Use will seat that front edge.

bambam31

Equipment
L3800HST 4x4,R1,FEL, 6'disc, 5'bush hog,piranhaTB,6'grader,6'rake, 48"forks
Apr 3, 2014
Mobile, AL
why beat on it? loosen the end bolts, tip the bucket edge into the dirt, lift the front tires in the air, then tighten the bolts. Use will seat that front edge.
Yep, I agree. That's a good idea.

JackJ

Equipment
BX1870-1
Mar 14, 2016
Indiana
Mine also had some gaps on a few of the "fingers" when I installed it. Not sure if the tooth bar or the bucket edge, or both, were not quite plumb, but decided it was too much hassle to try to return or correct the issue, beyond the BFH and 2 x 4. So far, it's been no problem, and I'm no longer worried about it.

mdhughes

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901DT
Dec 10, 2014
Ste Geneveive county, MO
I received a reply from BXpanded and thought I would add it to the thread:

Hi Michael,

Thank you for the pictures. Both the bucket and the Piranha bar are subjected to some serious heat with all the welding and cutting during manufacturing often causing a slight amount of bow. We actually see it in the factory buckets quite often. With continued use the bar will seat itself back further and stop rattling. This is one of the reasons we say in the instructions to mount the bar with the bolts near the back of the slotted holes. Continue using it (the more the better) and see if it doesn't take care of it. If it remains an issue after some considerable use please let us know.

Sincerely,

The Team at BXpanded

Thanks for everyone replies.

clay45

Equipment
L2050DT, TSC 5ft Rake, Tartar 5ft rototiller, TSC Middlebuster, TSC CarryAll
Feb 6, 2015
SC
What great photos. I look forward to some before & after shots of it in use.

FTG-05

Equipment
L4330 w/FEL, RTV-XG850 and ZD326S
Jul 21, 2013
TN
This is the way to do it.