Speeco Quick Attach (should I get one) ?

GWD

Equipment
M7040, L48 TLB, BX2200
Jan 8, 2010
Northern California
Here are a few pics of my issue. This setup is with the front gang a bit lower than the back gang. As I stated earlier, my issue is that with it currently set up this way the Quick Hitch hits the fender. Any suggestions?
So the issue seems to be that the top square tube of the QH is wide enough that, with just a little slack in the check chains, the QH will swing into the fender.

I'll go out on a limb and say that the QH is not suited for your tractor. Either the QH is too wide or the tractor's fenders are too close...perhaps both. Consider selling it and getting a Pat's Quick Connect. Problem solved.

If it is any help, the front gang should be just a bit higher than the back gang when lifted.

The disc acts like an airplane landing in that the back touches down first and then the front makes contact (with my disc and tractor set-up). Too tilted forward and a ditch is dug. Too tilted back and you get a mound down the middle. Ground speed is a factor as well. But I have a hydraulic top link and it is easy to adjust things on the fly to get the maximum efficiency.

With the rears slightly lower when lifted it would allow the QH top tube to be further away from the tractor. Just lengthen the top link. Maybe that would help a bit.

That top yoke is not helping the situation much since it moves the top of the disc farther away from the tractor than the discs lift pins.

Last edited:

bcp

Equipment
BX2360
Apr 20, 2011
SW WA
Using that swinging link adapter on the top instead of the hook makes you shorten your top link far more than you should to get the disc into the right attitude.

Normally the A-frame on the front of the implement and the quick hitch frame are very near parallel.

Modify the disk if the hook won't work, then lengthen the top link to move the top of the QA rearward.

Bruce

JR4AL

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX5800
Sep 7, 2014
Jackson, AL, USA
Thanks guys. I appreciate your diagnosis. I was thinking simmilar thoughts. It does not, however, seem to be a check chain issue. Side to side is not the issue, it is the UP that is the issue. There just is not quite enough room between the top of the QA arms and the bottom of the fender. I do not want to drop my lift height capability because of the QA and set the lift at 3/4 high. My main reason is that I may want to lift something that high to get out of a jam, to get unstuck or I may just want to look under an impliment to inspect for rust or to see if something is loose.
I agree with you GWD, and I am going to go out on that same limb and say that the Speeco QA is not suited for a L3901! Even though the fellow that sold it to me said it would:mad: what was amazing is how easy it just rolled out his mouth.
Not to be out done. I'm ordereing a Pair of Pats quick hitches (if you know of any one that wants a Speeco Cat 1 QA That has had two passes in the garden comes with six bushings and the adapter..I got 378.00 in it and I will ship it to you for 325.) I hope. i just didnt violate some rule about trying to sell something. If I did, I'm sorry.
Thanks for the advice on discing. I am discing in the morning. Very good illustration. I always had the back about an inch higher than in the front to be more aggressive in my cut and the back gang would fluff out the fresh broke ground.I will try it with the front gang about 1" higher than the back.
Nevertheless, Bcp you too sir, are right. the A adapter is causing the centerlink to be adjusted far more than normal and that is exactly what my problem really is. I do not have a welder and I am not going to go hire one. I have learned my lesson.
This QA is a fine built product but it is like a tailgate that is just a bit differnet than what shoudl be on the truck. Thus, I am going to go get me a set of Pat's quick hitches. Want to buy a Speeco? Thanks again guys.

GWD

Equipment
M7040, L48 TLB, BX2200
Jan 8, 2010
Northern California
JR4AL:

Before you give up entirely on the Speeco some other thoughts come to mind.

>Measure the top width of the Speeco and measure the distance between the tractor's fenders where the hitch makes contact. If there is 6" of difference it might still work.

Since the QH hits only one fender then tightening the turnbuckle on the opposite side lift arm should move the QH away from that fender. You may have to loosen the turnbuckle on the damage side to be able to get the movement if the 3PH is tight.

bcp said it better than I did but the QH tilting to the tractor side when it is lifted is at the heart of the problem. IMHO the QH should never enter the area between the fenders. But this particular QH does on your tractor.

I have the Pat's system on all of my tractors (except the backhoe!), all the tractors that I've sold, and have convinced my neighbor to get the system. (I sound like a salesman for them!) Agri Supply has them on sale with the spreader bar included.

It takes a bit to get it set up just right but then it is clear sailing. If you have any questions about adjustments or installation just post them on OTT and someone will surely chime in.

RIDETOEAT

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L4600, LA764, LP Blade,
Dec 26, 2014
Southern Indiana
It can but full forward tilt needs to be looked at after this ordeal.... I added the HF version to my L4600 and there is no way it could get into the fenders so the problem mentioned must be pretty model specific.

OOPS... old thread, for got I was searching and not on current stuff :)

Last edited:

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
JR4AL, I think you are having the reverse problem that I have had with a back blade and a quick hitch. I could not lift it high enough. It looks from one of your pictures that your side (lifting) links are attached by the U shaped brackets to the lower arms using the holes that are closest to the axle of the tractor. Is that correct? If so, moving them further back might help. My quick hitch doesn't work right unless it is fairly vertical when picking up and dropping the implement. So adjusting the links so it is vertical at the using height helps. But see also the posts by people that had to modify some implements to get them to work at the right range.