Mid Mount Mower or 3 point finish mower

gk527

Equipment
Kubota B2650
Apr 6, 2017
Central Kentucky
I'm in the market for a compact tractor. I've been looking at the B series and L series. I like the B series for the MMM option, however I'm wondering how you all like the 3 point finish mowers?

I've got a little under 10 acres I want to keep mowed with either of these setups. I'm in the process of building a house on 2 acres that used to be used as pasture for cattle, so it's not the smoothest. This setup will be my primary mowing equipment, so I'll be on it at least once a week.

I'd like to hear some pros and cons from you all, please.

If anyone has pictures they'd like to post of how their mower cut, I'd appreciate that as well!

Some of you might say I need a zero turn, but I tried that and did not like it. Plus I'd rather spend a little more money and get a tractor I can do more with.

Thanks!!

alansz400

Equipment
B7500. FEL, Piranha tooth bar, box scraper, post hole digger, 3 pt. bucket
Oct 26, 2013
Loudonville OHIO
I mowed the guy next doors yard with my B7500 and 72 inch finish mower. My tractor came with a 60 inch MMM that I sold since I didn't plan on mowing with it. The 72 did good job but did scalp a lot. I kept up with the mowing and never had a problem not having enough power. The 3 pt mower is easy to hook up but looking back while trimming is a pain in the neck. The B is hard on the yard in the turns. I wouldn't want to mow with anything bigger.

eddiebob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2680, JD 40
Mar 23, 2014
Poplarville, Mississippi
I use both in my yard. The Woods finishing mower is used for the open spaces and the MMM is used for the areas that are wooded and for trimming. The finishing mower is easily serviced and attached but is a pain around trees. The MMM (with Gator blades) cuts great and maneuvers easily but is a pain to pull off and attach.

b12

Dec 8, 2009
Maine
I use a rear mount rear discharge mower on my Kubota B7800 for open hilly areas (an old pasture).
It never lacks in power even on the hills, but I occasionally need to use 4wd on the hills if the grass is damp.
My B7800 has R4 tires and when in 4wd the front tires can tear the sod when cornering, in 2wd the front tires can occasionally tear the sod if cornering is too sharp.
I imagine this 2wd/4wd cornering issue would be the same regardless of what mower (MM mower or RM mower) was used.
I like rear discharge mowers which is why I chose a RM mower. At the time, Kubota did not offer a rear discharge belly mower, maybe they still don't, not sure.
With my ear mount rear discharge mower, grass clippings spread out evenly behind the mower and are not piled in rows along the side, as a side discharge can often do.
IMO if you're not collecting the grass clippings, a rear discharge is the mower to use, to reduce the appearance of rows or small piles of grass clippings.

Another plus for a rear mount, it can be used on any tractor with a Cat 1 3 point.
Before getting my B7800 in 2005, I used my Sitrex 72" rear mount mower on a 2wd 1969 Ford 2000 tractor, which I sold after getting the B7800.
Currently my wife and I are looking to get an additional tractor, either a Kubota BX 2670 or B2601,
and plan to use the Sitrex 72" RM mower behind it.

Last edited:

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
Had a MMM and the next tghree tractors wore RFM's. The most recent is my L3200 with a 6 foot rear discharge Landpride. This is my favorite so far. Here's a shot from early Fall.

Attachments

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
They both have virtues. I chose a rear discharge, rear finish mower for a number of reasons.
1) Easier to install and remove (generally)
2) No extra hardware to raise it or position it, like some tractors use
3) Depending on what mower you get, a rear discharge can be heavier built than a belly mower. The Woods RD60 that I have is very heavy duty. Not all belly mowers are built as substantial. To be fair, I've seen (and owned) a rear finish mower that was the same deck as used under the belly- so, it wasn't any heavier.

I don't see one as superior- it will depend on both your specific needs, and your preferences. Any chance you can try both out, to see which you like better?

cerlawson

Equipment
rotiller, box scraper,etc.
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
Have had both kinds, rear as well as belly mount. Belly is in the way if you need to work on things underneath, like oil change and is a bitch to install, if by yourself and on non paved surface. Greasing the pulleys or removing blades to sharpen has to be done with it unmounted.

As to mowing results both are about the same.

Flienlow

Equipment
Kubota BX25D, Kubota U25 mini EX, SVL75,Landpride Grapple,Landpride grading scra
Mar 9, 2015
snohomish
I searched hard and found a brand new in crate 54" MMM for my BX25 for $1000 on Craigslist.

Things I like:
For me it was relatively cheap at price paid.
Its compact on the tractor - not trying to mow with 25' of rig
its light and you can tip it on edge, so easy to store compared to rear mower.
I can keep it on my BX and still use backhoe.
It mows really nicely.

Things I don't:
Leaves a lot of corner grass that you just cannot get to, so that needs to be done manually.

gcmiller

Equipment
B2910, LA402 FEL, Caroni TC-910 91" finish mower, RTV900
Mar 13, 2017
Raleigh, NC
I'm guessing you don't have much in the way of trees considering your land used to be a cattle pasture. For that reason I'd recommend a 3-pt rear discharge. They are not so great around trees, but they are easier to mount/dismount, easy to service, they don't get in the way for maintenance and they are universal so you can buy any brand, which also makes it easier to sell if you want to upgrade. You can also buy them in a wider range of widths.

If you do have a lot of trees or objects to mow around than I'd look at a MMM for the ability to get closer to them. When you turn with a 3-pt mower the mower swings away from the object you a turning around making it difficult to get close.

Gary

gk527

Equipment
Kubota B2650
Apr 6, 2017
Central Kentucky
Thanks for all the replies everyone. I'm still not sure which way to go. I don't have a lot of trees but I will have some eventually. Plus I'll have a plank fence to mow next to and around the house.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Missouribound

Equipment
B2320, FEL, BOX BLADE, FINISH MOWER, QUICK HITCH
Jun 17, 2014
Missouri
I opted for a 3 point because of several reasons.
You can remove or replace it in a couple of minutes, with practice.
There are no wind rows with the rear discharge.
You stay cleaner when it's windy.
Sharpening the blades is easier.

That being said, I kept my Cub Cadet mower for trimming and tight spots and there is a bit more trimming. But a larger 3 pt saves quite a bit of time over the mid mount. If you are primarily mowing, consider turf tires.

Oliver

Equipment
L2501, JD 3520
Feb 2, 2011
Preston County, WV
...... The 3 pt mower is easy to hook up but looking back while trimming is a pain in the neck. The B is hard on the yard in the turns. I wouldn't want to mow with anything bigger.
]
My previous tractor (B7500) came with a 54" mmm and industrial tires. The mower worked great and was easy to trim with but was a little cumbersome to take on and off. Fortunately it raised up high so could remain on most of the time. The R4 tires were a disappointment as they were hard on the turf on turns and gave little traction in snow so I replaced them with turfs which are much better for my use.

The 72" mmm deck on my new 2650 is much easier to position under and remove but I haven't used it yet.

gk527

Equipment
Kubota B2650
Apr 6, 2017
Central Kentucky
My previous tractor (B7500) came with a 54" mmm and industrial tires. The mower worked great and was easy to trim with but was a little cumbersome to take on and off. Fortunately it raised up high so could remain on most of the time. The R4 tires were a disappointment as they were hard on the turf on turns and gave little traction in snow so I replaced them with turfs which are much better for my use.

The 72" mmm deck on my new 2650 is much easier to position under and remove but I haven't used it yet.

Why did you go with the 72 instead of the 60? How far does it stick out on the sides?

I'm debating on going with the 72 now so that I can swing the deck in and out from under a plank fence.

Grizzy3901

Equipment
L3901hst, la525, 72" landpride finish mower
Jan 1, 2017
Bealeton va
I have a 72" rear mount rear discharge and love it even clippinhs no rows. I would recommend removing the front end loader it does make it nice to not have to worry about catching 5hw bucket on stuff and makes it easier to turn around

chim

Equipment
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
I have a 72" rear mount rear discharge and love it..................I would recommend removing the front end loader...................
Couldn't have said it better. I never have the FEL on if i'm not using it.

The time it takes me to mow with a 72" vs. 60" deck is far less than would be expected if you just look at the 72" deck being 16% wider. I went from mowing 2-1/4 acres to about 3-1/2 acres when I switched to the 72" deck. Mowing time went from about 33 minutes per acre to 22. The extra grass didn't add time to the mowing. We have some trees, a couple sheds and a creek. The property isn't one big open flat square.

Attachments

gk527

Equipment
Kubota B2650
Apr 6, 2017
Central Kentucky
Couldn't have said it better. I never have the FEL on if i'm not using it.

The time it takes me to mow with a 72" vs. 60" deck is far less than would be expected if you just look at the 72" deck being 16% wider. I went from mowing 2-1/4 acres to about 3-1/2 acres when I switched to the 72" deck. Mowing time went from about 33 minutes per acre to 22. The extra grass didn't add time to the mowing. We have some trees, a couple sheds and a creek. The property isn't one big open flat square.

Do you have a 72 inch MMM or RFM? Looking at the picture of your property looks like you have a lot of trees. Was curious if you had the RFM how you did around trees.

chim

Equipment
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
Do you have a 72 inch MMM or RFM? Looking at the picture of your property looks like you have a lot of trees. Was curious if you had the RFM how you did around trees.

It's a rear mount (see post#5 for pic). This is the third RFM for me. The first tractor had a belly (MMM) mower and I strongly prefer the RFM. After getting some time with the rear mower, it is fairly easy to swing around things. I don't have a small rider or walk-behind mower. Whatever is missed with the Kubota gets trimmed with a string trimmer.