BX25D Hard to Start

Hillbilly Engineer

Equipment
BX25D, Land leveler
Apr 20, 2015
Cadet, MO
Normally my BX starts on the 3rd or 4th rotation and starts right up. Lately even with the temp at around 50 degrees I have to crank and crank to get it to start. I'm getting the glow plug icon and letting it preheat like normal. Once it starts and gets warm, it starts right up without any problems.

Any ideas on what could be going on.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Normally my BX starts on the 3rd or 4th rotation and starts right up. Lately even with the temp at around 50 degrees I have to crank and crank to get it to start. I'm getting the glow plug icon and letting it preheat like normal. Once it starts and gets warm, it starts right up without any problems.

Any ideas on what could be going on.
how old is the fuel ????

fuel filters?

how many hours?

Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370, FEL, Snowblower-BX5455, Homebuilt Forks, LP RB1560, LP GS1548
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi
Where are you setting the throttle to start? The manual says to set it to about 1/2 throttle. It seems to make a big difference on my BX2370. Close to the bottom and it is hard to start.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Could be not actually heating the glow plugs. ;)
Could be water or other contaminates in the fuel.

Hillbilly Engineer

Equipment
BX25D, Land leveler
Apr 20, 2015
Cadet, MO
I agree... I'm thinking it's related to the glow plug. I need to figure out how to check the glow plug.

If it was fuel I would think the problem would be present every time I try to start it and it would run rough and show other problems.

Once it starts it runs great, and will start and run just fine after that.

I bought it new 11 months ago, I'm thinking it's still in warrenty ( I need to check my paperwork) and might just take it to the dealer.

I know, letting someone else touch my baby...

I do love my BX.

GlueGuy

Equipment
2018 BX23S, 3PH, Back Blade, Rake, 18ft Trailer
Apr 4, 2011
Newport, North Carolina
Just a thought, but check the fuel shut-off (STOP) solenoid to make sure it's open all the way. If you've ever noticed a loud click a few seconds after you stop the engine, it's this solenoid returning to the open or run position at rest.

When you turn the key to "OFF" the solenoid closes to block the fuel flow which stops the engine and then returns 5 seconds or so later with that "click". I've had to replace them on 2 tractors this year!

pmr49

Dec 13, 2012
Renton, WA
Don't ask me how I know this, but

don't overlook the obvious. Double check that the battery ground clamp is firmlybolted, and doesn't just look good.

Hillbilly Engineer

Equipment
BX25D, Land leveler
Apr 20, 2015
Cadet, MO
Ok here's the update. I took my Tractor which was still under warranty to Waydes Equipment In Steelville, MO. I highly recommend these guys, a family owned and operated business with great customer service.

Bottom line.... The intermittent problem was the fuel shutoff solenoid. They replaced it and i'm back in business.. Thanks to everyone for their help...