Looking at BX1880, 60"mmm?

RyanG

Equipment
2019 Kubota BX2380, 60"mmm, FEL. 2018 JD X390, 54"mmm (for sale)
Sep 17, 2019
Fleetwood
Hello everyone! New to the forum but i've been snooping around for a while learning. I'm looking to get the Bx1880 with MMM, FEL, and plow for things around the house. I have about 4acres to mow (lawn grass) and then the usual landscaping etc. that I would like to do with the FEL. Nothing crazy by all means. I had owned a B3030 so I already know what size tractor i'm looking for (BX series) since the B is more then I need (knowing from experience).

I was going to check out Messik's, already have been to reading kubota and got some pricing there. It seems like Messik's is the place to go for us in PA? They're about an hour away so not to bad, but i figure if I can save a little it might be worth it.

My question is has anyone ordered the 60MMM for the BX1880? I'm only mowing lawn grass and if it gets high i can always take less on each pass not to overload it. I always seem to hear everyone talk about having plenty of power even with the BX1880 mowing etc. So I don't see why it couldn't handle the 60" under normal conditions.
Thoughts? Is it something you think they would even do? Has anyone else done it?

******UPDATE!*****
Hey guys I wanted to give an update on this. Stopped by Messik's this weekend and spoke to Neil a bit. They can do the 60"mmm on the BX1880 like I had hoped. They also didn't see a reason it wouldn't have enough power to run one etc. The upcharge was $200 to go from the 54" to the 60" which isn't bad at all.

So the outcome is yes the 60"mmm will fit the stock BX1880 and should be no issue for someone who wants to run one for about $200 more.

Last edited:

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I think they call for a 54 on the 18hp, but sure you go 60 thats what I have on the 2360. Though if you are scootin around shrubs and trees and flower beds the 54 might be a better way to go,,just MHO

RyanG

Equipment
Sep 17, 2019
Fleetwood
Yup the 54" is all they officially offer for the 1880. But the 2380 and 2680 can go from the 54" and the 60" so i'm assuming they should mount the same way to the tractor. Which would mean the 60" could mount to the 1880 as well.

Yup I have a 54" now on my John Deere X390 which i currently use. So if it's not possible then I'll just go with the 54" again. just figured it would be nice to pick up the 3" on each side.

RyanG

Equipment
Sep 17, 2019
Fleetwood
Here's a good quick look at the 54" vs 60" decks. Kinda made me think otherwise about sticking with the 54" and just going for the 60" if possible.

54" vs 60" MMM Decks

JackJ

Equipment
BX1870-1
Mar 14, 2016
Indiana
When I was shopping for a BX1870 a couple of years back, one of my nearby dealers offered that model with the 60" deck, no FEL, saying it was very popular with folks wanting a 4wd mower to handle hilly property. It wasn't a factory option then, either, just something they chose to offer to meet a local need. I got the impression it was something folks traded in their fancy ZTR for once it had slid down a hill on them.

I went with the 1870 because I wanted the smallest deck, 48", to get down some narrow trails on my property. But I suspect it would handle 60" just fine power wise. Just yesterday I was cutting thick 8 - 10" wet grass to help out a neighbor, and power was not a problem.

Last edited:

RyanG

Equipment
Sep 17, 2019
Fleetwood
When I was shopping for a BX1870 a couple of years back, one of my nearby dealers offered that model with the 60" deck, no FEL, saying it was very popular with folks wanting a 4wd mower to handle hilly property. It wasn't a factory option then, either, just something they chose to offer to meet a local need. I got the impression it was something folks traded in their fancy ZTR for once it had slid down a hill on them.

I went with the 1870 because I wanted the smallest deck, 48", to get down some narrow trails on my property. But I suspect it would handle 60" just fine power wise. Just yesterday I was cutting thick 8 - 10" wet grass to help out a neighbor, and power was not a problem.
Thats great to know! I guess my option would have to be talking with the dealer to make sure everything would be ok with warrenty etc. Maybe even see if they can toss a 60" on an 1880 and see what it looks like to double check everything.

RyanG

Equipment
Sep 17, 2019
Fleetwood
Thankfully most of my property is open. Few things around the house but I try and keep the landscaping to "flowing" curves etc. Then just weed whack where I can't get to anyway.

JackJ

Equipment
BX1870-1
Mar 14, 2016
Indiana
Thats great to know! I guess my option would have to be talking with the dealer to make sure everything would be ok with warrenty etc. Maybe even see if they can toss a 60" on an 1880 and see what it looks like to double check everything.
Yes! I would definitely want to verify those two things: Warranty and Fit. I know the 48" decks don't fit the BX2370 and BX2670, and I'm pretty certain not the newer 80 series, either. While the lift mechanism is the same on all the BXs, the smallest model has smaller tires, leaving more room for the deck guide wheels in closer to the tractor. I don't know anything about the drive-over decks, but they might not work on the BX18xx's, since there's slightly less ground clearance (smaller tires again) and things might not line up the same. The regular 60" deck should still work, but no one should take my word for it!

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
I am a customer of Messicks but please allow me to suggest you reach out to Mark or Rob over at Erb & Henry Equipment in New Berlinville PA. I have found them to have items in stock that Messicks didnt, and ive also found them to have better prices than Messicks. A bucket I recently purchased was $110 cheaper than Messicks, as was a land pride brush hog. Messicks had neither in stock, Erb and Henry had both.

I will add, you will not find a more friendly, down to earth, group of people than Rob and his staff

RyanG

Equipment
Sep 17, 2019
Fleetwood
I am a customer of Messicks but please allow me to suggest you reach out to Mark or Rob over at Erb & Henry Equipment in New Berlinville PA. I have found them to have items in stock that Messicks didnt, and ive also found them to have better prices than Messicks. A bucket I recently purchased was $110 cheaper than Messicks, as was a land pride brush hog. Messicks had neither in stock, Erb and Henry had both.

I will add, you will not find a more friendly, down to earth, group of people than Rob and his staff
Will do I'll look into them as well! This is the first time buying new so any little bit I can save the better at this point. It's amazing how much the pricing can vary from place to place sometimes.

RyanG

Equipment
Sep 17, 2019
Fleetwood
Yes! I would definitely want to verify those two things: Warranty and Fit. I know the 48" decks don't fit the BX2370 and BX2670, and I'm pretty certain not the newer 80 series, either. While the lift mechanism is the same on all the BXs, the smallest model has smaller tires, leaving more room for the deck guide wheels in closer to the tractor. I don't know anything about the drive-over decks, but they might not work on the BX18xx's, since there's slightly less ground clearance (smaller tires again) and things might not line up the same. The regular 60" deck should still work, but no one should take my word for it!
Not a problem! I'm just glad to hear it sounds like it's at least been done before without an issue. Just have to see now if it's still possible.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
May I ask why the 1880 rather than 2380? Not a large price difference, the 2380 definitely will run the 60" deck.

One thing that may not be immediately obvious is that the 23 and 26 HP models are a bit faster, due to those bigger tyres. If you have decent open areas (sounds like you do) you may be mowing at full speed on the straights.

I like driving my tractor, but I don't like it so much that I want to spend longer mowing lawns than I have to. Worth checking the extra speed to see if it's material to you. Since you're chasing the extra 6" width, I'm guessing you're looking to minimise mowing time.

Much as I'm a MMM guy, with 4 acres you might want to think RFM - you could go with a 2680 and a 72 inch deck then. Depends a lot on how your land is laid out, sounds like there isn't that much messing around edges, and it's not your first tractor so the benefits of seeing where your implement is may not be as important to you. Again, just throwing it out there for consideration as it sounds like you might be someone who'd benefit from it.

RyanG

Equipment
Sep 17, 2019
Fleetwood
May I ask why the 1880 rather than 2380? Not a large price difference, the 2380 definitely will run the 60" deck.

One thing that may not be immediately obvious is that the 23 and 26 HP models are a bit faster, due to those bigger tyres. If you have decent open areas (sounds like you do) you may be mowing at full speed on the straights.

I like driving my tractor, but I don't like it so much that I want to spend longer mowing lawns than I have to. Worth checking the extra speed to see if it's material to you. Since you're chasing the extra 6" width, I'm guessing you're looking to minimise mowing time.

Much as I'm a MMM guy, with 4 acres you might want to think RFM - you could go with a 2680 and a 72 inch deck then. Depends a lot on how your land is laid out, sounds like there isn't that much messing around edges, and it's not your first tractor so the benefits of seeing where your implement is may not be as important to you. Again, just throwing it out there for consideration as it sounds like you might be someone who'd benefit from it.
Pretty much was the price and a little bit of the size. Still nice to have the tractor be able to fit more places. But I doubt the size difference is enough to matter. Also the deals that are going on now with the 1880 are a bit better then all the others in the BX line. So I figured since i'm not doing anything with tillers etc. There's no need for the extra HP. But it doesn't hurt to have more haha.

I also thought about the rear mower, I had an 84" finishing mower on my B3030 and it worked really well. I just honestly don't want to store such a large tractor, mowing time doesn't bother me as much. but I figured for the extra $200 the wider deck would be nice.

I guess i'll have to see price wise at the dealer what the difference would be between the two and go from there. Just pricing it off Kubota's web site it looks like about a $2500 difference from the 1880 to 2380.

Last edited:

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Sounds like you have a pretty good idea of what you want, so, just let your fingers do the walking. Put you specifications list of what you want and get email quotes from all area dealers. Tell them that you're a serious buyer and will be making such purchase by a specific date.

I agree with the suggestion for Erb and Henry. I've found them to have pretty decent pricing, but you may just land on a dealership that wants to unload a specific tractor at a very good price. I bought my fist Kubota years ago from Reading, but also check Canns-Bilco in Alburtis. They may have one for you.

Best of luck to you.

RyanG

Equipment
Sep 17, 2019
Fleetwood
Sounds like you have a pretty good idea of what you want, so, just let your fingers do the walking. Put you specifications list of what you want and get email quotes from all area dealers. Tell them that you're a serious buyer and will be making such purchase by a specific date.

I agree with the suggestion for Erb and Henry. I've found them to have pretty decent pricing, but you may just land on a dealership that wants to unload a specific tractor at a very good price. I bought my fist Kubota years ago from Reading, but also check Canns-Bilco in Alburtis. They may have one for you.

Best of luck to you.
Yup all I can do at this point. Canns is where we picked up our B3030 from in 2010, but they always seemed to be on the high end of price after looking around more for implements etc. I wish bestline on 309 was around yet, they saved us $600 over canns on the MMM for the 3030 a few years ago. But they ended up dropping the Kubota line.

Guess I need to get out to a few places on Saturday mornings and just see what I can find.

RyanG

Equipment
Sep 17, 2019
Fleetwood
do the internet VS in person quotes seem to be pretty close? I always wonder if being there is better, or if they just look off a sheet and you get what you get either way.

chdinct

Equipment
BX25, 54" deck, Landpride Grapple, Pallet Forks. Kubota Z422-54KW
Jun 28, 2018
CT & FL
I started out in 2008 with an 1860 with the 54" deck. From memory, the 18 horse model had a shorter wheelbase and the 60" wouldn't fit. They may have changed that on the new models so definitely check on fittment.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Yup all I can do at this point. Canns is where we picked up our B3030 from in 2010, but they always seemed to be on the high end of price after looking around more for implements etc. I wish bestline on 309 was around yet, they saved us $600 over canns on the MMM for the 3030 a few years ago. But they ended up dropping the Kubota line.

Guess I need to get out to a few places on Saturday mornings and just see what I can find.
Understood. Yes, I got my B2650 from Best Line on 309 just before they dropped Kubota. maybe one other you can try is Marshal's machinery. Call the Swiftwater PA location and ask for Jeff Meinking.

Best of luck to you.

RyanG

Equipment
Sep 17, 2019
Fleetwood
I started out in 2008 with an 1860 with the 54" deck. From memory, the 18 horse model had a shorter wheelbase and the 60" wouldn't fit. They may have changed that on the new models so definitely check on fittment.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Looked it up on the Kubota site and it looks like the wheel bases are the same again between the modles now on the 80 series at least. From what I could discover everything chassis wise are the same, just motor and tire size.

atitus

Equipment
BX1880+FEL,MMM,Blower
Feb 11, 2019
Worcester, MA
Looked it up on the Kubota site and it looks like the wheel bases are the same again between the modles now on the 80 series at least. From what I could discover everything chassis wise are the same, just motor and tire size.
The bx1880 is the 'no frills' model, to get the price point as low as possible. On this model you can't get certain options like cruise control, adjustable steering wheel,armrests on the seat, etc. At least those options aren't available direct from Kubota -- I'm sure the dealer can get them and add them on.

I'm happy with mine, the no frills edition. However if you want these things might as well get the 2380 because the cost of the frills add up quick; the real world price gap between the two isn't as large as the MSRP suggests and you'd get a larger engine to boot.

If I had to do it over again, I'd get the 2380, mainly because I use mine regularly with front snowblower as my primary means of clearing snow. This is the only activity that seems to stress the engine at all where I could tell it would benefit from a few more horses.