Cleaning Black Plastic on Fenders

bluedunn

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, MMM, Heavy Hitch Back Plow Blade
Aug 29, 2019
Thetford, VT
Hi-

Many of the decals/stickers on my new-to-me BX1860 are starting to lift off of the black plastic lever guides on both fenders. I've gone ahead and ordered the replacement decals but am now wondering how to remove the old decals and adhesive residue to ensure the new decals will stick and stay.

Should I use a heat gun/hair dryer to heat up the decals and then peel off? How would I go about cleaning up the adhesive residue without damaging the black plastic?

Thanks for any help here!

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Hi-

Many of the decals/stickers on my new-to-me BX1860 are starting to lift off of the black plastic lever guides on both fenders. I've gone ahead and ordered the replacement decals but am now wondering how to remove the old decals and adhesive residue to ensure the new decals will stick and stay.

Should I use a heat gun/hair dryer to heat up the decals and then peel off? How would I go about cleaning up the adhesive residue without damaging the black plastic?

Thanks for any help here!
Gasoline will clean the residue.

More than likely you will find this a recurring problem, especially if your tractor spends lots of time in direct sunlight.

I have replaced several decals on my M9960 and L6060, both of which are only outside when being used.

SDT

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
WD 40 works too spray it on and let it sit for a bit, but gas works better

bluedunn

Equipment
Aug 29, 2019
Thetford, VT
WD 40 works too spray it on and let it sit for a bit, but gas works better
Thanks for the info. all! Based on the condition of the decals on the tractor, I believe the previous owner had it out in the sun more than it should have been as many of the decals are peeling and some of the paint is faded. I will be keeping the tractor in the garage when not in use, so hopefully this will slowed down a bit.

rjcorazza

Equipment
L4060 HSTC Loader, ZD326, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2016
Hyattstown, MD
I like a product called Goo Gone, available most anywhere. Before re applying new stickers go over the area with isopropyl alcohol.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

bluedunn

Equipment
Aug 29, 2019
Thetford, VT
Following up here, I used a heat gun (aka, my wife's hair dryer) and then followed that up with WD40. Worked pretty well and removed all of the adhesive.

I did find out that one of the live guides is cracked near the PTO selector; enough so that putting a new decal on isn't real easy without causing more damage.

Looks like I can order a new lever guide for about $50. Based on the parts diagram, it doesn't look terrible to install a new lever guide...any info. on this? Does the fuel tank need to be removed; doesn't look that way.

Sean2202

Equipment
L305DT
May 27, 2019
CT
Thanks for the update,

I have used turtle wax label and sticker removal with success. I actually used it on my H-D motorcycle paint when it was new to remove a reflector from the rear fender. It took the reflector off with absolutely no scratches! It took multiple coats to get it off however.

I also used it on plastic fenders to remove stickers that were on a golf cart for 15 years+ . Once again multiple coats but removed stickers with no scratches to the plastic. Under the stickers the plastic was a dark green and all around it was a faded light green.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Thanks for the info. all! Based on the condition of the decals on the tractor, I believe the previous owner had it out in the sun more than it should have been as many of the decals are peeling and some of the paint is faded. I will be keeping the tractor in the garage when not in use, so hopefully this will slowed down a bit.
Pretty much SOP for Kubota orange. Fades to Mary Kay pink in time....:D