North 40, but 1.75 really.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Lot is 470’ on the road and about 170’ deep. We actually surround it, so it was a good buy, and we got it for a very good price. Gives us about 300 yards of road frontage.

Been working on it. Got some of the hedgerow cleaned up and opened up the driveway.

Nice thing is it was put to work this spring with 120 maple taps. The young farmer didn’t tap the Norway Maples on the roadside because he wasn’t sure what they were. Another 30 there for next year.

Was part of a former egg farm years ago. Guessing went out of business 50 or 60 years ago.

Nice realization is the 40x120 or so concrete pad for the former chicken coop is in remarkably good shape.

Started cleaning the pad off. Has years of leaf accumulation. When I have the loader on in October I’ll clean it up more.

Looks like a good spot to park the ‘Moline with a carport, shed or maybe another outbuilding on it. Most level spot on 6 acres....

This is the driveway. Steep, but they would pull in with tractor and manure spreader, then back up to the coop. I can easily get my truck in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Maple that I had pushed over with an excavator.

Was in the hedgerow, and a split that would send it to the house. No way I could do it with a chainsaw.

When I blocked it up you can see it wasn’t in good shape.

Tughill Tom

Equipment
B3200
Dec 23, 2013
Turin, NY
Nice pick up! Be carful if Dear Leader Andy finds out it's got concrete on it the taxes will rise.(just kidding... not really though)
Have fun getting it cleaned up and working again.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Tom - -

Andy is a fu#%}%* €sshole. [emoji3064]

I gather you don’t exchange Christmas cards with him either....[emoji41]

I also don’t exchange Christmas cards with the Mayor of my village. I was on the village board with him years ago.

My house is in the village and my village taxes are out of control.

This parcel is also in the village, and for that reason I bought it for $1,750 ...$1,000 per acre. Told the seller I wouldn’t pay much because the taxes will kill you....

But point taken, if the assessor figures out there are “improvements”, assessment and taxes go up.

We’re going to merge it into our house parcel, get it into an agricultural district for the commercial maple lease. Then I might be able to get a small agricultural exemption for property taxes.

PHPaul

Equipment
B2650, Pronovost snow blower, Landpride rotary mower, Howard tiller, box blade
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com
Off topic, sort of, but...

I just drove through Chenango county yesterday! Been visiting family in Michigan and came back to Maine via 88 to Binghamton and 86 to Albany.

GORGEOUS country for sure, but NYS politics and Second Amendment problems would keep me from ever moving there.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Paul- indeed you did see the southeast corner of Chenango County!

Afton and Bainbridge are both nice places with deep history back to Native American settlements.

It is beautiful country.

Tughill Tom

Equipment
B3200
Dec 23, 2013
Turin, NY
Years ago right after the "SAFE ACT" was pulled over on us. I was out on my sled for a nice ride on the top of the Tug Hill. Great snow flat and fast, I roll up to an intersection an get stopped by 2 armed State Troopers with fully auto. rifles. They Informed me Dear Leader was out for a ride and I couldn't proceed down that trail.
So me being me said "Their not Safe Act compliant arms" and why do they need them, up here in the woods?
They weren't amused, but they were cold and in a bad mood being where they were.

Yea, not a fan of the Dear Leader......He's an AZZ

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
I hate to be dense but who on earth are you guys talking about? Dear Leader? Sounds like the plump North Korean? Wrong locale...

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Sheep -

I've worked for the "gubbermint" as Skeets calls it for 32 years. Not the state government, but a local one.

The actions of the governor and state legislature are often illogical for us in upstate, where Tom and I live, but more geared to NYC and it's suburbs.

Those actions are often deleterious to upstate governments and by extension, the taxpayers. The governor is frankly combative about upstate issues.....he has no need for us as long as highly populated NYC and Long Island can easily carry the total vote statewide.

Ironically, he has touted upstate revitalization and championed a "Buffalo Billion" program. That program and others connected were found to be frought with bribery, fraud and other illegal acts. The subject public contracts were over $750M, and impropriety was linked to the governor's close advisors. Several folks were facing jail time for the morass..

I have a colleague in another part of the state that refers to the governor as Lord Vader. He is at the highest level of his government as well...I guess it just shows the approval consensus for the rural part of the state.

Sent from my QTASUN1 using Tapatalk

Last edited: