Larger tires on the BX?

jrm

Equipment
bx1880
Aug 26, 2019
brightwood, Oregon
just got my 1880, the specs say the ground clearance is 8.3 on the 18 and 8.9 on the 2380... but holy cow, smacked a tree root from a 150' doug fir on the front hub the first time out- threw me into the steering wheel- it only has 3.5" of clearance-- Has anyone put larger tires on these BX18's?
Be interesting to see how those front tires perform in 20" of wet snow :eek: I spotted these tires, maybe to heavy duty for a 1880?
https://simpletire.com/bkt-18-8.50-...4hPpQbQN6CszbzHOJ2A5l35AGYjdODdAaAu8jEALw_wcB

Last edited:

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
You have to be careful to match front and rear or you'll wind up the transmission when in 4WD. Apparently stock they're within 5%, so whatever percentage you increase the front by you'll also need to increase the rear by. I don't think there's enough clearance to increase the rear that much.

skypros

Equipment
BX23s
Jul 2, 2018
Bend, OR
If your BX1880 is anything like my BX23s, You are going to have a real hard time increasing the rear tire size due to the clearance. My loader stick valve hangs down in the wheel well.... and my clearance is like 1-1/8" I sure would not want any larger tire than what I have.

KennysNewFarm

Equipment
MX5800
Dec 28, 2017
Missouri
Not to sound rude or harsh but several of us forewarned you about the size of the tractor you wanted when you first asked for our opinion. We all stated you should buy a B series for larger tires, additional ground clearance, and a wider stance. Then you purchased the smallest tractor Kubota makes because of your small budget. Then you are writing threads on how small the tractor is and you need to buy wheel spacers, bigger tires, and a grapple in which will be so heavy you will only be able to pick up sticks. When you get done spending all this cash you could have paid for the B series. I am only posting this for the future OPs that are reading your questions so they can make a better buying decision.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users

Captaincj

Apr 2, 2019
Hugo, MN
Not to sound rude or harsh but several of us forewarned you about the size of the tractor you wanted when you first asked for our opinion. We all stated you should buy a B series for larger tires, additional ground clearance, and a wider stance. Then you purchased the smallest tractor Kubota makes because of your small budget. Then you are writing threads on how small the tractor is and you need to buy wheel spacers, bigger tires, and a grapple in which will be so heavy you will only be able to pick up sticks. When you get done spending all this cash you could have paid for the B series. I am only posting this for the future OPs that are reading your questions so they can make a better buying decision.
Harsh, but not wrong.

I would highly advise you not change the tire size. As said, the 4WD system requires the tire ratio between the front and back to stay the same, if you have or want a mid mount mower you will play hell getting the deck adjusted if you change the tire heights (especially if you only change the front) and there could be other factors we aren't even thinking of. It's all designed as a system.

Reactions: 1 user

jrm

Equipment
bx1880
Aug 26, 2019
brightwood, Oregon
I knew that was coming, and your right- my friends also totally think Iv gone nuts, they may be right. As Kennysnewfarm states I was warned- but what I didn't realize when reading specs was that the front hub is only 3.5 inches off the ground, specs show double that. I plan to up the tires (all 4) to that of the 2380 and call this one done.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
I'd just ask your dealer whether they'd take it back in swap for a B2601. A mistake is only a mistake if you persist in it. The longer you wait before you change course, the more expensive it will be. Can't hurt to ask.

Reactions: 2 users

KennysNewFarm

Equipment
MX5800
Dec 28, 2017
Missouri
I knew that was coming, and your right- my friends also totally think Iv gone nuts, they may be right. As Kennysnewfarm states I was warned- but what I didn't realize when reading specs was that the front hub is only 3.5 inches off the ground, specs show double that. I plan to up the tires (all 4) to that of the 2380 and call this one done.
Again 4 people stated not to increase tire size and even went into details on why they wouldn’t and your response is still defying the opinions you asked for by what you think is best. No offense but if you don’t want to take us seriously why waste our time with questions? I am done with this thread just making a valid point. Good luck.

Reactions: 1 users

Captaincj

Apr 2, 2019
Hugo, MN
Again 4 people stated not to increase tire size and even went into details on why they wouldn’t and your response is still defying the opinions you asked for by what you think is best. No offense but if you don’t want to take us seriously why waste our time with questions? I am done with this thread just making a valid point. Good luck.
I think he can be successful increasing the tire size to that of the BX2380, but try and confirm that with math and the opinion of Kubota and/or the dealer. It keeps the ratios the same as the existing (confirm with your own math) and I suspect Kubota doesn't do anything different with the BX1880 vs BX2380 to accommodate those larger tires.

You should definitely ask the dealer about trading you 1880 for a 2380 or 2601.

Applying what you would be spending on larger tires towards the larger tractors (2380 or 2601) is much smarter.

Reactions: 1 user

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
First that tire 18x8.5-8 is not the same RC as the BX2380 tire which is 18x8.5-10
Second that tire would kill the poor little front end of that tractor, No flex at all, that tire is meant for a very heavy skid steer, not a light little tractor.

Your messing with things that are going to cost you some serious $$$ when they break things, and they will.

The front gears on the diff are about the size of your thumb and it doesn't take much to break them, and they are expensive to replace!

If you were going to do it correctly you will have to change the front rims along with the tires to get a larger, proper RC.

MadMax31

Equipment
BX23S, 60" MMM
Nov 5, 2014
New York
There have been members with 1870s that ***8220;upsized***8221; there tires buy using a matching set from a 2370. You can get get them from Wholegoods as the tire part numbers havent changed since the 50 series.

I was watching a set of turfs for $675 on eBay incase my R4s get slippy in the winter.

I don***8217;t remember the member name, but he did a YouTube vid on swapping his tires. I was look for his opinion on how it has turned out.

jrm

Equipment
bx1880
Aug 26, 2019
brightwood, Oregon
Seems I need to clarify that I never intended to just up the front's. Would up all 4 in a matching set. I did stop by the dealer and spoke with the mechanic. He did not like that 8 ply tire I linked in the first post either, said it would be like a solid tire- he did say, with that larger sidewall maybe if I ran it at 5psi it would work since its only a 18hp hydro trans and that the front axle handles the heavy D1005 engine that's in the 2680 without a issue so the light D722 super mini shouldn't stress it to much. The dealer said 23xx tire & wheel swaps are surprisingly common, and bolt right on- plus he said older customers with the 23 series often eye smaller tires to lower the machine- he kept my name and will call me if anyone wants to swap. As for some of the responses above There was discussion in the buying advice thread that a 2301 better suites my ground clearance needs, but after visiting the dealer and changing the 84 months to the 60 months that the B series offers. and the extra $6500 bucks (almost double what I paid for the 1880) its totally not in the cards (kids in private school, and left coast cost of living) So, making the BX work for me is the plan- Yesterday I grabbed a heavy load of gravel, dropped the 5ft blade and scraped the driveway in low range just fine :) Testing a LP reverse tiller later today.

Last edited:

Chrisw

Dec 15, 2019
Austin
Check out baller Faller on YouTube, search (Kubota Bx 1880). The BX 23s is a direct bolt on, IV had these tires for a year and I use the piss outta my 1880 no problems at all. Honestly they should be factory.

AKguy09

Equipment
LX3310/ Cab 1950 F- Cub
Nov 22, 2017
ellicott, colorado
Doesn't putting the 23s tires on the 1880 limit or hinder the belly mower in some way? I thought I read that when I had my BX

Snave

Equipment
BX1880, LA344s, Back Blade
Nov 24, 2021
Prospect, Nova Scotia, Canada
I have an 1880 and would love to hear how the tire upgrade did for clearance and issues if found?

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re: but holy cow, smacked a tree root from a 150' doug fir

cut the dang tree down.. cheaper than new tractor, 4 tires and rims, repairs, etc.
at the very least trim the root.....

roots are supposed to be UNDERGROUND, so I've been told...

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
re: but holy cow, smacked a tree root from a 150' doug fir

cut the dang tree down.. cheaper than new tractor, 4 tires and rims, repairs, etc.
at the very least trim the root.....

roots are supposed to be UNDERGROUND, so I've been told...
They migrate to the top of the ground when they don't get enough water underground. If you cut them off, you are effectively killing the tree. Cover them with soil and water them during the dry season. In the woods around my home, the roots are deep into the ground because the forest floor keeps the water from evaporating. On the lawn where I have decorative trees, the tree roots are coming up on the lawn. The solution is to build up the soil out to the drip line of the branches and then cover will a lot of mulch and water under the mulch with a soaker hose at least once a week.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Yeah DR I know all that, the neighbour don't ! I've had to replace his 'custom right angled tip' riding mower blades several times ! Finally after it destroyed the engine, he got a 'service' to come in to cut his grass....