Zirks all the same ??

bambam31

Equipment
L3800HST 4x4,R1,FEL, 6'disc, 5'bush hog,piranhaTB,6'grader,6'rake, 48"forks
Apr 3, 2014
Mobile, AL
I’ve got a L3800 and I need to replace a few clogged zirks. Does anyone know if the zirks on my tractor are all the same size and same thread type? I’ve never replaced one before and I’d like to buy a kit to keep on hand. Thanks.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
I doubt that they are all the same and have run into issues in the past. Although, It seems many are M6 sized.

Check out the harbor freight storehouse assortments. I recently picked up both the SAE and Metric assortment boxes. They are a great deal. I now have fittings for just about everything.

JG4660

Apr 22, 2019
Buffalo
Seems they are not the same on the tractor vs the loader, backhoe, etc...i just replaced one today and i went to Kubota.com/parts and looked up my loader and it listed the zirks. For mine it was a 1/4-28 tapered. About the only way i know unless you have a large asst of fittings.

JG

Mister

Jul 13, 2018
Northwest
I doubt that they are all the same and have run into issues in the past. Although, It seems many are M6 sized.

Check out the harbor freight storehouse assortments. I recently picked up both the SAE and Metric assortment boxes. They are a great deal. I now have fittings for just about everything.
Harbor Freight is good for some things, and absolute garbage for other stuff. What's the consensus on their zerks?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Actually the proper name isn't Zerk, it's an Alemite fitting. and the HF assortment is as good as any. and cheaper than most. When mine get wonky, I replace them.

You can buy one of those nifty unclogging tools at Gemplers that you fill with oil and put it on the fitting and wack it with a hammer and that clears the fitting for 40 bucks or so but I use synthetic teflon fortified grease so my fittings don't clog up and you can buy a bucket full of fittings for 40 bucks.

Just my opinion as usual.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Actually the proper name isn't Zerk, it's an Alemite fitting. and the HF assortment is as good as any. and cheaper than most. When mine get wonky, I replace them.

You can buy one of those nifty unclogging tools at Gemplers that you fill with oil and put it on the fitting and wack it with a hammer and that clears the fitting for 40 bucks or so but I use synthetic teflon fortified grease so my fittings don't clog up and you can buy a bucket full of fittings for 40 bucks.

Actually the "proper" name is "grease fitting" and it was designed by a guy whose last name was "Zerk" so calling it a Zerk fitting is primarily correct. The first company to mass produce it under Mr. Zerk's patent was the Alemite company, so "Alemite" fitting is the secondary identification of check-ball type grease fittings. Alemite is no longer the primary mfr'r of them so the more universal term "Zerk" is in wider use. ;)

"Wonky" is British/Aussie/New Zealand slang for "misaligned" "crooked" or "awry" none of which mean "clogged" therefore improper adjectives for inoperable Zerks, even in American English, but maybe explains some things lately. (Where IS that tongue-in-cheek emoticon anyway...???) :confused:

Zerks which are "stuck" or "clogged" can be cleared with that tool you mention, but it's bad form because it forces the dirt-clog down into the bearing and damages it. That tool should only be used with the Zerk removed from the implement for clearing, then may be reinstalled.
But it may be simpler to throw it in the trash and install a new Zerk instead.
Zerks are made with SAE or Metric threads usually, both straight and taper or "pipe" and should be replaced with the same, so an assortment of Zerks might be the answer for the home handyman. (There rarely exist some un-threaded types which are press-fit but none in common useage.)
Horrible Fright Zerks are as good as any I've ever used and solve the problem nicely.
To keep them from clogging, one might consider what is common in aviation use... Zerk Caps, which protect them from dirt and water ingress.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FXPK7SF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited:

Mister

Jul 13, 2018
Northwest

Lol. Right, because everyone runs around referring to them as "Alemite fitting". "the proper name isn't tractor, it's internal combustion engine farm utility implement".

Give me a break

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Lol. Right, because everyone runs around referring to them as "Alemite fitting". "the proper name isn't tractor, it's internal combustion engine farm utility implement".

Give me a break

I did. Give you a break, I didn't break it off in your posterior.

I wasn't snarky at all. Just stated the proper name. I could have been snarky and stated that the OP misspelled the street name too.

Zirk is not correct. it's Zerk as in jerk. There, I was snarky, how's that.:eek:

Mister

Jul 13, 2018
Northwest
I did. Give you a break, I didn't break it off in your posterior.

I wasn't snarky at all. Just stated the proper name. I could have been snarky and stated that the OP misspelled the street name too.

Zirk is not correct. it's Zerk as in jerk. There, I was snarky, how's that.:eek:
Geohorn already slapped you around quite eloquently, (assuming you didn't somehow miss his post), so I'll just leave it there. Sounds like you need some coffee to wash down that crow

Captaincj

Apr 2, 2019
Hugo, MN
Actually the "proper" name is "grease fitting" and it was designed by a guy whose last name was "Zerk" so calling it a Zerk fitting is primarily correct. The first company to mass produce it under Mr. Zerk's patent was the Alemite company, so "Alemite" fitting is the secondary identification of check-ball type grease fittings. Alemite is no longer the primary mfr'r of them so the more universal term "Zerk" is in wider use. ;)

"Wonky" is British/Aussie/New Zealand slang for "misaligned" "crooked" or "awry" none of which mean "clogged" therefore improper adjectives for inoperable Zerks, even in American English, but maybe explains some things lately. (Where IS that tongue-in-cheek emoticon anyway...???) :confused:

Zerks which are "stuck" or "clogged" can be cleared with that tool you mention, but it's bad form because it forces the dirt-clog down into the bearing and damages it. That tool should only be used with the Zerk removed from the implement for clearing, then may be reinstalled.
But it may be simpler to throw it in the trash and install a new Zerk instead.
Zerks are made with SAE or Metric threads usually, both straight and taper or "pipe" and should be replaced with the same, so an assortment of Zerks might be the answer for the home handyman. (There rarely exist some un-threaded types which are press-fit but none in common useage.)
Horrible Fright Zerks are as good as any I've ever used and solve the problem nicely.
To keep them from clogging, one might consider what is common in aviation use... Zerk Caps, which protect them from dirt and water ingress.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FXPK7SF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old thread, but epic post.

Might buy those Zerk caps as well!

Bravo, you win the internets for that day back when you wrote it.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City