51 hours, no regen L4701

Brick Axelrod

Equipment
L5460, BH92, RCR1872, FDR2572.RTVX1100c
Apr 12, 2018
South Carolina
I’m at 51 hours’ have been the only operator and have not yet had a regen on my L4701. Most of the time I’m running at PTO throttle but seems strange that it hasn’t gone into regen yet.

cliffboyer

Equipment
L3301 w/LA525 loader, G5200 mower w/RC48 deck, Kawasaki 610 Mule, DR mower
Nov 30, 2017
Southern IL
IMO, that reflects quality fuel & proper operating rpm for task involved.

My 1yr old L3301 has 43hrs, and still not had a regen cycle.

Brick Axelrod

Equipment
Apr 12, 2018
South Carolina
Glad Im not the only one then, I started today at 47 hours and expected it to happen today. After a full day (few hours) of work still didnt

Last edited:

RickCf

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L4701, 5ft Land Pride Rotary Cutter , 5ft Land Pride Tiller, Misc. other imp.
Jun 7, 2018
Hernando, MS
Same tractor, I'm at 37 hours and no regen yet. Most of my time has been at PTO speeds so it may be awhile until I see a regen.

rjcorazza

Equipment
L4060 HSTC Loader, ZD326, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2016
Hyattstown, MD
I wouldn’t worry yet. My L4060 did its first regen at 72h (then after 38, 65, 52, 35 hours).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

troverman

Equipment
MX6000 HSTC; 2020 Kubota Z421KW-54 zero turn mower
Jun 9, 2015
NH
My MX4800 did it's first regen at 36 hours...I would say 33 of those hours were running at wide open throttle. I thought it was a bit early. Regen took about 20 minutes. Sometimes when I'm mowing I'll encounter a section of really tall or thick grass and the engine will start to bog. On my older tractors, that would result in smoke coming from the exhaust...in this case the DPF has to absorb it. Maybe that made mine earlier, I dunno. Regen was pretty seamless.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Not unusual to go that long w/o regen. All depends on the usage. Specifically the load and RPM among other things.

Junk engine oil can have an affect too, similarly fuel quality.

If no codes showing on the panel, don't worry.

winesalot

Jul 14, 2016
Chelan, WA
I think I was around 60 hours for my first one. I wouldn't have noticed but I happened to glance down and see the yellow indicator on the dash. I just kept the rpm's up and continued to work. It was a non issue.

Fido Farms

Equipment
L3901, 35 Massey, Summit X 146, Polaris 700 RMK, Yamaha Viking
May 27, 2018
Canada
My l3901 regened at 19 and 17 hrs so far. I don’t drive it to keep the dpf happy I use it like a normal tractor. If it regens more I assume it’s made for it. I’m not shutting it off every time I get off to do something or rev it up ASAP without letting warm up etc. I guess we will see how things go. Happy tractoring

Brick Axelrod

Equipment
Apr 12, 2018
South Carolina
At 53 today moving round rocks and still going strong with no regen. Got to run the backhoe Sunday so will see if I can keep it up.

Brick Axelrod

Equipment
Apr 12, 2018
South Carolina
My l3901 regened at 19 and 17 hrs so far. I don’t drive it to keep the dpf happy I use it like a normal tractor. If it regens more I assume it’s made for it. I’m not shutting it off every time I get off to do something or rev it up ASAP without letting warm up etc. I guess we will see how things go. Happy tractoring
Hey Fido, I’m not treating it special just running it like I think I should. I don’t shut down every time I get off but when I’m using it I’m not lugging it. Sometimes it will sit several minutes while getting a drink or taking a quick break.

Fido Farms

Equipment
L3901, 35 Massey, Summit X 146, Polaris 700 RMK, Yamaha Viking
May 27, 2018
Canada
Hi Brick. Everyone operates their tractor to try get it to last for years I hope. I just see a lot of how operate with the dpf. Max rpm, work it, minimal idling all while trying to keep the dpf gods happy. It regens when it needs to by design. If its 10 hrs. or 50hrs. I don't see the big worry. This time next year my opinon may change and if it does I'm sure I'll post a comment. I drive it like I would any piece of equipment I have which is to say it will probably get babied somewhat like u said running like I think I should. The dpf operation will get a test this winter as I do snowblow as cold as -35c depending on the snow. We will see how a regen works at that temperature. Happy Kubota ing.

markbxr400

Equipment
L3901, LA525, RC1860, SCR0660, BB1260
May 19, 2018
Magnolia Springs, aL
Have had mine about 7 months. Started with 58 hours when I bought it. Regions every 35-50-ish hours. Usually starts at the absolute worst time, so I just drop the bush hog and mow for about 15-20minutes until it does it thing. I typically run mine at PTO speed for all tasks.

flyidaho

Equipment
L 3301 HST
Feb 28, 2017
IDAHO
Have had mine about 7 months. Started with 58 hours when I bought it. Regions every 35-50-ish hours. Usually starts at the absolute worst time, so I just drop the bush hog and mow for about 15-20minutes until it does it thing. I typically run mine at PTO speed for all tasks.
"At the worst possible time", indeed! I run both a new (100 hours) L3301 tractor and Kubota U25 mini excavator, and I hugely enjoy NOT having to mess with the regens on the mini. I HATE running at a higher rpm then is actually needed to perform the work, and not being able, without guilt, of leaving it idling a bit.

How about this: if there was a black market way to turn it into a good old fashioned Kubota without all the regen crap, like my mini and my previous Kubota tractor, I'd do it in a hearbeat, and screw the warranty. It is beyond my capabilty to do it myself, or I would have by now. I should mention I am running about 30 hours between regens, but it always seems to happen when I am ready to put it away, and in a hurry, and to sit there with the engine roaring away until it's happy just fries me. I get it, this is like complaining about the beeper in my car telling me to wear my seatbelt (which I do anyway), just a fact of modern life, but I don't have to like it! The fuel burn on the 3301 is easily double my older (and smaller) B2105, running at high rpm's most of time is no doubt the cause.

captmikem

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2660 MX 4800 and a bunch of attachments.
Mar 16, 2017
SW Washington State.
Yesterday, at 143.8 hrs I had my third regen on my MX4800. Could not have happened at a worse time. I was about 100' up a very steep grade, with my grapple pulling blackberry vines out to swamp in a new trail/path. It was steep enough that if I stopped I would just spin 4 wheels if I tried to go up. All of a sudden I had a squealing noise, I thought I had a blackberry vine in the engine, so I shut down, climbed down into the blackberries, opened the hood and searched for the intruding vine, could not find one. Closed up, started up and noticed the regen light on, I idled down the hill backwards, (regen and increase throttle lights on), got on the level and throttled up, it took about 15 minutes.

Of interest here, for the first 90 hours or so I kept the rpms high all the time, never idled, and shut down quick. had a regen in the mid 40s and second one..70 or 80 I think. Since then I have been treating her like I think one should, idle to warm up, low rpm for small tasks, high rpm for work, brush hogging etc. Seems to have made no difference on the time for regen.

A great tractor. and for anyone needing to clear blackberries, nothing beats a grapple.

M

troverman

Equipment
MX6000 HSTC; 2020 Kubota Z421KW-54 zero turn mower
Jun 9, 2015
NH
Why idle all the way back down the slope? I'd just run it as usual and go.

I'm with you on running the engine normally, though. Many people get a bit paranoid about a modern diesel...nothing is going to be harmed by idling a bit, or mid-throttle, etc.

I always warm mine up...course it's 25F in the morning now, so I kind of need to. More idling will cause the engine to need to regenerate sooner, though.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Yesterday, at 143.8 hrs I had my third regen on my MX4800. Could not have happened at a worse time.

Of interest here, for the first 90 hours or so I kept the rpms high all the time, never idled, and shut down quick. had a regen in the mid 40s and second one..70 or 80 I think. Since then I have been treating her like I think one should, idle to warm up, low rpm for small tasks, high rpm for work, brush hogging etc. Seems to have made no difference on the time for regen.

M
I agree. My experience with my L3560 coming up on 4 yrs old, is that the dpf filter fills the most during the 5 minutes or so it takes the engine to warm up. The 60 series tractors have a bar graph in the panel that shows how full the filter is getting, and depending on how cold it is and if there are additives in the fuel, the dpf gains 2 to 4% in warming from a cold start. After that it gains little or decreases. I run it at an rpm appropriate to the task. Since I know a regen is coming from the graph, and I might want to get it done while I have something to do at high rpm, I might idle it to get it to kick over to 100 and start the regen. None of the diesel engines like to be lugged, so use appropriate rpm is fine as far as I am concerned. The only thing different is that there is no point in leaving these common rail engines idling when the tractor is stopped for a break. They are easy to start.

The only reason people are told to leave the rpm up all the time is the problem if someone gets off their tractor for half an hour and the tractor asks for a regen rpm and no one is paying attention. If someone is working and looks at the dash fairly frequently and checks for lights etc any suitable rpm is fine. You have roughly 30 min from the time it starts to request the regen to its completion, before it will demand a parked regen. So if you are fairly observant, no need to drop everything immediately.

I agree it can be inconvenient to have to think about it, I would like to be able to trigger it myself say any time after say 95% . While you can shut it off before it starts it is inadvisable to stop in the middle. Mine regens about 3 or 4 times a year.