Technology....Who Woulda thunk it...

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
Wow bear, good for you!
My son set up a Roku on my garage TV last year, and I figured out how to do one on our bedroom set a couple weeks ago...all by myself!
We still have cable, and get programming through an app for the cable provider (like I know what I***8217;m talking about...)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We're never too old to learn RCW, kinda like an old dog which is what my wife likes to call me. I have no interest setting it up on my phone and really don't watch much tube however I do enjoy a good challenge not to mention saving a few bucks. Finding a way around the system gives me great enjoyment not to mention more than my share of white hair, well that's where I still have hair.:eek:

Last edited:

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Just a follow up to an older thread.

Week ago the Spectrum TV app didn't work well on either of our Roku's. My coffee buddy said his 2 were doing the same.

He's a ways away, so us technological rocket scientists figured it must be the Spectrum app...like we know what we're talking about. ;)

This morning at coffee, our 89 year old buddy suggested rebooting everything and removing the Spectrum app and reinstalling....WHA?!?!? I'm not that smart without anyone under 30 here anymore...:p

Long story short, I figured out how to uninstall, then reinstall the Spectrum app FROM MY PHONE!!!

Holy smokes - - I'm gonna get some mileage outta this technological VICTORY...

I don't have many....:D

Last edited:

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
Just a follow up to an older thread.

Week ago the Spectrum TV app didn't work well on either of our Roku's. My coffee buddy said his 2 were doing the same.

He's a ways away, so us technological rocket scientists figured it must be the Spectrum app...like we know what we're talking about. ;)

This morning at coffee, our 89 year old buddy suggested rebooting everything and removing the Spectrum app and reinstalling....WHA?!?!? I'm not that smart without anyone under 30 here anymore...:p

Long story short, I figured out how to uninstall, then reinstall the Spectrum app FROM MY PHONE!!!

Holy smokes - - I'm gonna get some mileage outta this technological VICTORY...

I don't have many....:D
Congrats RCW, now you can add Stirr which is free and also Pluto which is also free and if you get a chance look into Philo. I'll take a closer look at Spectrum tomorrow.

KennysNewFarm

Equipment
MX5800
Dec 28, 2017
Missouri
If you want to eliminate useless fees from the cable company you can purchase your own cable modem, buy a wireless router I recommend Eero Pro Mesh and down load the phone app. Then you can return all the stuff the cable company has given you. By doing this they can only charge you for the service not the tax. They have to give you a product to charge the taxes. I figured after buying my own modem and wireless router my return on investment was about a year. Plus it is better equipment. After that you can use Roku, Hulu, Netflix, etc.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Congrats RCW, now you can add Stirr which is free and also Pluto which is also free and if you get a chance look into Philo. I'll take a closer look at Spectrum tomorrow.
Bear - the thing with Spectrum (really Charter in US) is you need to have them in your area and use them as your cable provider (we do) so you can get your subscription channels through their app, or you can be an internet customer and get a program of channels accessed just via the Internet.. again, like I know what I'm talking about....[emoji3]

Sent from my QTASUN1 using Tapatalk

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
If you want to eliminate useless fees from the cable company you can purchase your own cable modem, buy a wireless router I recommend Eero Pro Mesh and down load the phone app. Then you can return all the stuff the cable company has given you. By doing this they can only charge you for the service not the tax. They have to give you a product to charge the taxes. I figured after buying my own modem and wireless router my return on investment was about a year. Plus it is better equipment. After that you can use Roku, Hulu, Netflix, etc.
Yeah, sounds like what bear was looking at.

We may not only go with our own equipment, but go entirely WiFi driven. I learned a couple years ago that the "old style" coax cable no longer works, so most of my house lacks usable cable and connections anyway.

Kids are gone now, so I figured it didn't make sense to run wire to empty rooms. Thinking something internet and wireless is the way to go.

Last edited:

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Yeah, sounds like what bear was looking at.

We may not only go with our own equipment, but go entirely WiFi driven. I learned a couple years ago that the "old style" coax cable no longer works, so most of my house lacks usable cable and connections anyway.

Kids are gone now, so I figured it didn't make sense to run wire to empty rooms. Thinking something internet and wireless is the way to go.

We did that here. Used to have satellite TV in a couple of the rooms. Ditched satellite when they increased our download speed by 5,000 percent :D Our old download speed was 1mbps. We just use the internet and a good wifi router. Grandkids can still access what they want in the bedrooms using a tablet or one of their gaming devices. And all we have is one phone jack in the corner of the living room that the router plugs into.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
Living where we do we can only get wireless internet which they call high speed but it's anything but. Last year we bought an ASUS router and that has made a huge difference, everything is wireless now. After reading the reviews on the Eero Pro Mesh it sounds like it's one step better. Thanks for the info.

KennysNewFarm

Equipment
MX5800
Dec 28, 2017
Missouri
Living where we do we can only get wireless internet which they call high speed but it's anything but. Last year we bought an ASUS router and that has made a huge difference, everything is wireless now. After reading the reviews on the Eero Pro Mesh it sounds like it's one step better. Thanks for the info.
You are welcome. You can add as many booster hubs as you need for square footage. They were super easy to install. I had 2 one in living and one in master. I ran PS3 in master with no lag issues.

michigander

Equipment
B2601
May 29, 2018
Northern Michigan
Cut the cord here years ago when charter increased and I don't even have charter for internet.

Wabbit ears we get ABC,CBS and FOX no NBC
Amazon Prime we have watch movies
Roku we also watch free stuff there also.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Oh you thought I was talkin about TV wabbit ears,,, umm ok :D

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
If any of you feel like experimenting a little try this website. It has a lot of programming. I cannot get it to work with my security settings in Firefox (I don't want to change them) but it works great with MS Edge at default settings.

http://ccloudtv.org/ch/l/tv