Technology....Who Woulda thunk it...

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I'm an idiot for this stuff....:eek:

I downloaded an APP! Did Tapatalk while ago, thought my first/last after weather radar!:)

We have Charter/Time Warner/Spectrum for cable TV and WiFi at home.

Spectrum is going all digital, so you need a "box" between your TV and coax now. Several of my older (60-80+ year old) buddies are looking at Roku, apps, etc. to avoid another $10 or 20 on their bill (me included).

We're all technological idiots, except for tech-support from kids/kids-in-law from time-zones away.

I figured it out after a lot of security stuff, and can now watch TV shows on my phone, and switch it to the Television! (pissed the Mrs. off - she was watching Olympics - I did it by mistake [emoji5])

Holy smokes!

I know that's elementary for a lot of you guys...but holy smokes![emoji33]

I also have a tractor with a hand clutch...I'm used to being a little behind the times, and okay with it....:p[emoji14]

Last edited:

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
I've been toying with Kodi for years and have Netflix's. My problem is our internet where we live sucks most of the time however lately it doesn't seen too bad. I love toying with this stuff and you've got me interested in Roku, I'm gonna have to look into that.

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
You guys speaking English? :D;)
Lol, yep it's a little mind boggling when you first start. What got me interested was the high price we have to pay for reruns and commercials, just didn't make sense. There are lots of options out there at no or very little cost.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
We watch Netflix through a roku stick on the TV. Not sure how to connect to the TV with my phone :confused:

we also get the main local stations, with an amplified antenna on the roof. That's about as fancy as we are.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
It’s kind of funny with 4 old guys sitting at the diner talking Roku and stuff like that.
We are not too savvy at it; really the 88 year old is the “expert”, and the 3 others can only repeat what our kids tell us, but we’re getting better!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
It’s kind of funny with 4 old guys sitting at the diner talking Roku and stuff like that.
We are not too savvy at it; really the 88 year old is the “expert”, and the 3 others can only repeat what our kids tell us, but we’re getting better!

I started looking into Roku this morning, looks promising, I think I'll pick up a stick or box soon to try. Kodi works very well for just about anything except live tv, you can get some but it's not reliable. Lots of info on kodi on youtube and it's free if you just want to run it off your computer but a box which you can pick up on amazon for around 80 to 100 bucks. Only problem with that is they come preloaded with too much on them which can be kinda confusing when you first start. I ended up wiping mine and just loading one app on it, works great, just do a search for what ever you want to watch. I'll be interested in seeing if you can pick up live tv on Roku.

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
I'm an idiot for this stuff....:eek:

I downloaded an APP! Did Tapatalk while ago, thought my first/last after weather radar!:)

We have Charter/Time Warner/Spectrum for cable TV and WiFi at home.

Spectrum is going all digital, so you need a "box" between your TV and coax now. Several of my older (60-80+ year old) buddies are looking at Roku, apps, etc. to avoid another $10 or 20 on their bill (me included).

We're all technological idiots, except for tech-support from kids/kids-in-law from time-zones away.

I figured it out after a lot of security stuff, and can now watch TV shows on my phone, and switch it to the Television! (pissed the Mrs. off - she was watching Olympics - I did it by mistake [emoji5])

Holy smokes!

I know that's elementary for a lot of you guys...but holy smokes![emoji33]

I also have a tractor with a hand clutch...I'm used to being a little behind the times, and okay with it....:p[emoji14]
Just kind of curious as to how you did with the roku. I did manage to look into it and it seems like it would be great where you live in the US however the content not as good living here in Canada. Looks like I'll be sticking with the android which is working great right now

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Bearbait, We use the Roku stick to connect Netflix to the tv instead of having to hook one of our tablets to it. I use an antennae on the roof to get the 4 local channels, plus some crap channels. We thought about prime video or Hulu but haven't pulled the trigger on it.

Netflix has some of the shows my wife and I like, so we just watch the series a season behind what's playing currently. And usually binge watch it and move on to something else. The reason we are considering adding prime, is they have the other half of the shows we like. :rolleyes:

I couldn't see paying for the Direct Tv, or Dish Network online stuff. Figured I would be in the same boat as having the dish on the roof, with 300 channels and nothing but crap to watch :p and no dvr now, so if it's not on demand, then we would probably miss it anyway.

Before we switched, the TV was on constantly. Now it's on for the news when I get home from work. And usually after dinner when we are vegging out. The rest of the time it's off now. :)

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
Bearbait, We use the Roku stick to connect Netflix to the tv instead of having to hook one of our tablets to it. I use an antennae on the roof to get the 4 local channels, plus some crap channels. We thought about prime video or Hulu but haven't pulled the trigger on it.

Netflix has some of the shows my wife and I like, so we just watch the series a season behind what's playing currently. And usually binge watch it and move on to something else. The reason we are considering adding prime, is they have the other half of the shows we like. :rolleyes:

I couldn't see paying for the Direct Tv, or Dish Network online stuff. Figured I would be in the same boat as having the dish on the roof, with 300 channels and nothing but crap to watch :p and no dvr now, so if it's not on demand, then we would probably miss it anyway.

Before we switched, the TV was on constantly. Now it's on for the news when I get home from work. And usually after dinner when we are vegging out. The rest of the time it's off now. :)
I wish we could get Hulu here and I suppose if I wanted to go a round about way I could but it's just not worth the hassle. Also our internet sucks (wireless) when you most want to sit back and stream a movie. It just kills me to pay bell 80 bucks a month for reruns and commercials. The android works great except on the weekends when more people are home and on the internet which really slows down our speed. All in all I'll take this any day over living in the city.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
I wish we could get Hulu here and I suppose if I wanted to go a round about way I could but it's just not worth the hassle. Also our internet sucks (wireless) when you most want to sit back and stream a movie. It just kills me to pay bell 80 bucks a month for reruns and commercials. The android works great except on the weekends when more people are home and on the internet which really slows down our speed. All in all I'll take this any day over living in the city.
I can understand that. Up until recently our internet was pretty slow. Took a tornado to speed things up :rolleyes: Tornado wiped out all the infrastructure and forced the telephone company to upgrade :D

They ran fiber optics several years ago and finally got it hooked up last year. Before that it was a hokey satellite deal that went out every time the wind blew and cost a fortune. An air card through a cell provider that cost a fortune. Or 1 meg per second dsl through the phone company.

I had the 1mbs through the phone company. When they upgraded to fiber, they offered me a deal. Same price I was paying for the 1mbs with 50 megabyte per second download speed. With the rate locked in as long as I stay. They just had to upgrade the line to the house and swap out the modem. So I get the 50 megabyte speed for around $73/ month. Neighbor switched to them from satellite when he seen the installer at the house upgrading the phone line. His price was $100 plus tax since he wasn't an existing customer :rolleyes:

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
I can understand that. Up until recently our internet was pretty slow. Took a tornado to speed things up :rolleyes: Tornado wiped out all the infrastructure and forced the telephone company to upgrade :D

They ran fiber optics several years ago and finally got it hooked up last year. Before that it was a hokey satellite deal that went out every time the wind blew and cost a fortune. An air card through a cell provider that cost a fortune. Or 1 meg per second dsl through the phone company.

I had the 1mbs through the phone company. When they upgraded to fiber, they offered me a deal. Same price I was paying for the 1mbs with 50 megabyte per second download speed. With the rate locked in as long as I stay. They just had to upgrade the line to the house and swap out the modem. So I get the 50 megabyte speed for around $73/ month. Neighbor switched to them from satellite when he seen the installer at the house upgrading the phone line. His price was $100 plus tax since he wasn't an existing customer :rolleyes:
A friend of mine had the same luck as you, swapped out his dial up to fiber optics with no increase in price. I actually just got off the phone with the tec who said all the towers should be upgraded by the end of summer so we have a little hope however the terrain is so hilly here and we are surrounded by water which they say is not so good because the signal has a tendency to bounce off and be unstable. We'll keep our fingers crossed.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
A friend of mine had the same luck as you, swapped out his dial up to fiber optics with no increase in price. I actually just got off the phone with the tec who said all the towers should be upgraded by the end of summer so we have a little hope however the terrain is so hilly here and we are surrounded by water which they say is not so good because the signal has a tendency to bounce off and be unstable. We'll keep our fingers crossed.
But that Veiw you have alone is worth it :D Wife and I are very jealous of the pictures you post of your views ;)

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Like I told others, if you ever happen this way just let us know.:)
I'll definitely take you up on that offer sometime in the near future :D Wife and I are getting the paperwork together to drop off at the revenue office so we can upgrade our drivers liscenses. Next trip east to see friends and family in Vermont, we were planning on hitting maine, as well as hopping across the border into Canada. Both are on my wife's bucket list :D

I've been across the water from you before when I was a kid. Grandfather was from northern Maine, so on one of our vacations, we went to Prince Edward Island, then worked our way south through Nova Scotia then took the ferry back to Bar Harbour.

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
I'll definitely take you up on that offer sometime in the near future :D Wife and I are getting the paperwork together to drop off at the revenue office so we can upgrade our drivers liscenses. Next trip east to see friends and family in Vermont, we were planning on hitting maine, as well as hopping across the border into Canada. Both are on my wife's bucket list :D

I've been across the water from you before when I was a kid. Grandfather was from northern Maine, so on one of our vacations, we went to Prince Edward Island, then worked our way south through Nova Scotia then took the ferry back to Bar Harbour.
Sounds good, just let me know your always welcome.

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
Well we did it, dumped our satellite provider and bought a Roku tv and a Roku stick for the bedroom. After a little work around we finally get programming from south of the border. Here's what I've worked out. Roku is free however Sling Tv is an add on which I have the blue package, $25 plus another 5 bucks for pvr. On top of that we have Philo $16 a month and Showtime, another $10.00 a month and Netflix which we already had. Everything we have though Roku is still cheaper than what we were paying and much better programming. Hulu was impossible to get here in Canada without an American credit card. Also we have an android tv box and after set up the programming is free but can be a hassle but if you do have one check out the series Deadwood, probably the best western I've ever watched. Just be warned it's not for children, nudity and a lot of swearing, like any other series it take 2 or 3 episodes to get hooked on. If you have a Roku all you have to do is set up an account which is free and then do a google search for Roku addons, many are free.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Wow bear, good for you!
My son set up a Roku on my garage TV last year, and I figured out how to do one on our bedroom set a couple weeks ago...all by myself!
We still have cable, and get programming through an app for the cable provider (like I know what I’m talking about...)