You know you're in a small town when....

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
1. Don't need to say who you are to pick up prescription at pharmacy.
2. Can make car service/repair appointment with just your first name.
3. Owner of the Chevy dealership calls you when there are good deals.
4. Call 800# for Car Insurance company to report a claim, and get someone you know on the phone.

There are many more, but these all happened lately....and I like it!:cool:

What are your small town anecdotes?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Newlyme

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 w/loader, finish mower, tiller, auger, rake. BX24 w/loader, backhoe
May 27, 2015
Nelson Ohio USA
When we were first looking at buying something off of the internet we thought we should get a Post Office box because you know all of those "Loonies" out there. Well we did and placed our order. The package showed up at the house!
The mailman thought he would save us a trip to the Post Office to pick it up.

True story.

NBKubota

Equipment
2650HSDC
Aug 3, 2017
New Brunswick
The local Kubota dealer brings a tractor out to your place. The one you've been looking at. Gives you a quick demo and tells you to "have fun with it". No paperwork or anything. Just drops it off.

When he's leaving, he says that he's around next week if I have any questions.

Talk about small town lol

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
The local Kubota dealer brings a tractor out to your place. The one you've been looking at. Gives you a quick demo and tells you to "have fun with it". No paperwork or anything. Just drops it off.

When he's leaving, he says that he's around next week if I have any questions.
Nice!! I can relate:

In 1992, bought a '86 GMC pickup from a used place. Told him I wanted to buy it one morning - $2,500 cash. He said he's leaving for a 2 week trip in 1 hour. I didn't have the cash on me to buy it.

He gave me the paperwork, I then registered the truck and drove it away after he left. 2 weeks later, his wife calls and says "we're back." Paid for it next day.

Since then, we've bought 12 new Chevy's from a local dealership. For years, would bring a test-drive vehicle home overnight, so both of us could look it over.....salesmen never ride with us for any test drives, either.

Last edited:

dandeman

Equipment
BX2230, LA211 FEL, RCK60B Mower, GCK60BX Bagger; Ford 4000, bush hog, blade, etc
Aug 9, 2013
Chapel Hill, NC
www.dan-de-man.net
We had been thinking for some time about buying a 4x4 as over the years had made a number of trips out to Colorado, Wyoming & South Dakota exploring the back country, especially Colorado trails in the high country.

This happened to us while on vacation in remote part of South Dakota out from Custer, SD. Happened to pass by a small Toyota dealership and went back to look at two 4x4s parked at the front of the lot. Sales guy comes out, we talk a bit & we tell him we are on vacation and no way going to be buying. He goes back and gets the keys to the two trucks and tells us about a great back road to try the truck of our choice on..and hands us the keys..

Drive it a bit and come back.. give him the keys... and here's the fun part.

We spend about 2 1/2 hours talking with him about on many topics especially about living in that part of the country...Never mentions the truck or try to turn it into a sales pitch..

Turns out he (and I) were ex Navy guys.. very interesting to hear his experience about moving into the area and making it home. says you can't make a lot of money, but it don't cost much to live there..

Greatest conversation I ever had in a car dealership.

-----------
This was before we bought and outfitted this vehicle for overlanding http://www.dan-de-man.net/

What is Overlanding.. http://www.overlandjournal.com/overlanding/what_is_overlanding/

Last edited:

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
So what we did back in the 70's now has a name,,, way cool,, we just watched easyrider too many times and though WTFN :D,,,lol

PHPaul

Equipment
B2650, Pronovost snow blower, Landpride rotary mower, Howard tiller, box blade
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com
A few years back, I had a llama as a pet and a guard animal for my little flock of sheep. Only one around for miles, had a lot of people sort of slide to a stop in the street and look down in my pasture trying to figure out what the heck that critter was.

Two of my favorite stories from that time:

One of my wife's gal-pals lived just up the street and her elderly and slightly dotty mother lived with her. Her Mom was still in good shape physically and walked nearly every day. Wife's friend called up one day and said "Do you have a llama?" My wife assured her that we did and her friend said "Oh, good. I thought Momma had lost her mind completely!"

Also, pictures of Fernando Llama wound up on various boards on the internet and became something of a thing among my cyber-friends. Most of whom, curiously enough, are as big a wisenheimer as I am. One of them sent me some sort of trinket in the mail, addressed to "The Guy With The Llama" and the town and zip. No name, no box number nothing...just "The Guy With The Llama". Lady at the post office had no problem at all figuring out which box to toss it in.

• Haha

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Local farm bureau (Augusta Co-Op) cashier knew our account number by memory. I would walk up to the counter, and she'd already have it entered. Never had a dime stolen or embezzled.

Reactions: 1 user

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
You know you're in a small town when you can read the name of the town on the water tower!

I knew a pilot who told me that's how he use to know where he was. To fly near the water tower to see what the name was.

bgk

Apr 23, 2017
Accord, ny
You know you're in a small town when you can read the name of the town on the water tower!

I knew a pilot who told me that's how he use to know where he was. To fly near the water tower to see what the name was.

Even smaller town if yours doesn’t have a water tower, like mine hehe.

No mayor, 1 gas station, and when you wave as you drive by almost everyone waves back. Imagine, this is in New York state and only a 2 hour drive to new york city which I avoid like the plague.

Bulldog777

Equipment
L3200, RTA1266, Modern 5' BB, Mustang 60 FM
Jan 25, 2017
Texas
You're in a small town when everyone else knows more about you than you do!!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Stmar

Equipment
B2650HSDC
May 23, 2017
Buffalo, Wyoming
You don't worry about people not using their turn signals because you know where they are going.
Called the vet the other day and when I told the lady what I wanted and who I was she said "I thought that was you."
Had a cruise packet addressed to my street address and they put it in our PO box.
Had some meds addressed to my street address and the guy calls me, when we had a landline, and told me I could pick them up at the PO.

Stmar

Equipment
B2650HSDC
May 23, 2017
Buffalo, Wyoming
This is a good one: I was a landman, negotiated right of ways, and spent time in the field meeting with ranchers. I was at a ranch about 60 miles from where I live talking to the foreman and he had Corgis, being an animal person we got into a conversation about the little dogs and he mentioned that another rancher that lives about 5 miles from me had one of his pups.
Fast-forward a few months and we are out on our property doing some maintenance and I see something hopping throw the grass, turns out to be a little Corgi. It came over to us and I could tell he was tired so took him to the barn and gave him some water, nice looking dog, no collar but healthy so I knew he was no stray. Then it dawned on me about what the rancher had told me months ago. Called the neighbor rancher and sure enough it was his pup, he had been guiding some hunters and the dog must have followed them when they went by his house, got disoriented and ended up at my place. Some coincidence for sure and a happy ending.

Reactions: 1 user

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
I had my UPS delivery guy (Sean) walk in my mile long driveway a couple times because he was worried about the frost coming out and didn't want to tear it up.
Our electrician and his helper were here a couple of times and ended up staying an hour or so after they finished both times just to chat and have tea and coffee.I love country living. We live 10 to 20 miles away from people and still introduce each other as our neighbours.